• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/8-1/10 Potential Winter Storm

4 hours ago, Stevo6899 said:

...I know he recently moved to Dallas but its not believable to have 10 hours of pingers no matter the location....

February 2-3, 2022 Winter Storm here in Dallas...

BTW, if the former Lafayette, IN members (Hoosier & ChicagoWX) were still actively posting, they could also attest to experiencing pingers for roughly the same length of time during GHD 2011. All of their old posts about the event are still easily searchable.

Point being, after experiencing such an event, I'm fairly numb to relatively intermittent pingers now. It can be so much worse.

I'm up to 10.5".  Everything is plastered with snow, including the sides of the house.  Models show we have another 2.5 hours to go, but it's beginning to taper off.  It's pretty awesome to have a solid defo zone parked over us all day.  That is rare.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

I'm up to 10.5".  Everything is plastered with snow, including the sides of the house.  Models show we have another 2.5 hours to go, but it's beginning to taper off.  It's pretty awesome to have a solid defo zone parked over us all day.  That is rare.

I'm super jealous but as I recall you were due. So enjoy!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

Enjoy your storm Hawkeye! Glad to see you finally get a good one. Well overdue.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Powerball said:

February 2-3, 2022 Winter Storm here in Dallas...

BTW, if the former Lafayette, IN members (Hoosier & ChicagoWX) were still actively posting, they could also attest to experiencing pingers for roughly the same length of time during GHD 2011. All of their old posts about the event are still easily searchable.

Point being, after experiencing such an event, I'm fairly numb to relatively intermittent pingers now. It can be so much worse.

I can attest to many hours of pingers during GHD 2011. I forget exactly how many inches of sleet we had, but it was enough to make roads nearly impassable. It is also the only time I’ve seen large drifts of sleet. Wish I had taken pics.

59 minutes ago, SchaumburgStormer said:

Just cleared the driveway, and people are absolutely going to die trying to shovel this. Hands down some of the heaviest snow I have tried to move. Eyeballing about 6-7”

Maybe 3" here. SE McHenry continues to amaze.

Screenshot_20240109_191242_WGN Weather.jpg

Had high hopes with the "fast start" overnight but after all was settled I arrived to 3.5" at home. My tire tracks in the 2" this morning were still evident.

Measured 4" closer to Woodstock. Certainly not our first Winter Storm Warning to miss the cut.

Rippage by O'Hare this afternoon was great.
5166079a8d282c3576913865ad638b0c.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

4.3" with a short while of light snow left. most models showed over 1" of precip so assuming we got that we effectively got 4:1 snow with compaction/melting.  Even now you can hear dripping when outside.  Felt like an October or April storm.  Oh well, on to the next.

Crazy how different the scene is over a relatively short distance. I will end this storm with 13.2" in IC in what will go down as a top 3 storm for me. Rarely do you get the intensity/duration of snow that we did with this storm, and it happened during the day to boot. Started off this morning with giant aggregates and very sloppy ratios (prob 5-6:1) and gradually transitioned towards smaller, drier flakes. The stuff falling in this final band looks and feels north of 10:1. 

5 minutes ago, hlcater said:

Crazy how different the scene is over a relatively short distance. I will end this storm with 13.2" in IC in what will go down as a top 3 storm for me. Rarely do you get the intensity/duration of snow that we did with this storm, and it happened during the day to boot. Started off this morning with giant aggregates and very sloppy ratios (prob 5-6:1) and gradually transitioned towards smaller, drier flakes. The stuff falling in this final band looks and feels north of 10:1. 

Very nice!  I'd love to do one of those core samples if I had equipment or knew how, but since there's been so much melting from underneath it wouldn't be accurate anyway.  The melted bottom layer likely soaked into the unfrozen top soil lol.