• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2024 Banter

George BM

What an awesome snow event we had today...as I've already mentioned, I was content to accept my previously forecasted 1", but am over the moon to have just measured 3.2" IMBY. And after a brief lull and the sun peeking in weak-tea fashion through the clouds, the overcast has moved back in and we are snowing lightly AGAIN. One or two of those streamers are taking aim at us.

Went out to shovel last hour, and in celebration I wore my sock-puppet-monkey pigtail hat...which I only break out for very special NoVA snowstorms in my old age...and...yeah, I took out that supplemental accessory on the right, filled with some liquid inspiration. What a great week of snow...  ;) 

image.thumb.jpeg.f54b4cfc4f27f31dd58ecbc3749b3a46.jpeg

• Like 9

2 hours ago, vastateofmind said:

What an awesome snow event we had today...as I've already mentioned, I was content to accept my previously forecasted 1", but am over the moon to have just measured 3.2" IMBY. And after a brief lull and the sun peeking in weak-tea fashion through the clouds, the overcast has moved back in and we are snowing lightly AGAIN. One or two of those streamers are taking aim at us.

Went out to shovel last hour, and in celebration I wore my sock-puppet-monkey pigtail hat...which I only break out for very special NoVA snowstorms in my old age...and...yeah, I took out that supplemental accessory on the right, filled with some liquid inspiration. What a great week of snow...  ;) 

image.thumb.jpeg.f54b4cfc4f27f31dd58ecbc3749b3a46.jpeg

Dude, great photos! Tell your wife this is going to be your holiday cards in 2024. 

Cheers!

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Ji said:

I give today after 9am

C for snowfalling
A for scenery
F or model tracking and digital blue
D-all the back edge bs

Overall grade c-

I would give it a C+. Peak snowfall rates were only about .5-.6”/hr, and it underperformed with totals. Winter storm warning for 5-7” and ended up with 3.7”. HRRR and hires NAM didn’t do well at all. Honestly no models showed the proper distribution of snow.

For people near DC, I can see how this is a great event. It looked horrible for them 2 days ago then yesterday everything got better. Up here however, it looked the best 2 days ago (4-6”) and trended worse.

One thing about this storm: the shoveling session to accumulation ratio is out of hand. I've had .. what 4.5 to 5" ... and I've shoveled three times. Third time just now and then just stood there and zenned out. Hell, even during the blizzard with its 25", I think I only shoveled three times. Of course during that one I must have jebwalked about 10-12 miles that Friday night and all day Saturday. Haven't done that this time. Walked around the block a couple of times. I think, at least with me, the physicality of challenging a heavy prolonged windy snow is part of the allure. King Lear in the snow, ranting about the gods, and all that. Something more sedate like today (and the other day, as well) and I don't have the need ... or desire ... to go all forced-march mode. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 09-10 analogy said:

One thing about this storm: the shoveling session to accumulation ratio is out of hand. I've had .. what 4.5 to 5" ... and I've shoveled three times. Third time just now and then just stood there and zenned out. Hell, even during the blizzard with its 25", I think I only shoveled three times. Of course during that one I must have jebwalked about 10-12 miles that Friday night and all day Saturday. Haven't done that this time. Walked around the block a couple of times. I think, at least with me, the physicality of challenging a heavy prolonged windy snow is part of the allure. King Lear in the snow, ranting about the gods, and all that. Something more sedate like today (and the other day, as well) and I don't have the need ... or desire ... to go all forced-march mode. 

What we have got here, is one heck of an OUTSTANDING  WINNAH !!!!!!!!!!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, midatlanticweather said:

Remembering 8 years ago. Was preparing with trips to Walmart and home depot 

IMG_0322.png

I dug so much snow it was unbelievable. None of my neighbors gave me any slack. They demanded I get out there and dig snow, and they insisted on full-on Jebman Standards. I dug snow and dug snow and dug snow and dug snow!

• Like 1

It snowed twice this week it stuck relatively well both times, the snow has been on the ground with very little melting since Monday. That's an A in my book for the week...winter to date is incomplete so no grade yet.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, aldie 22 said:

It snowed twice thus week it stuck relatively well both times, the snow has been on the ground with very little melting since Monday. That's an A in my book for the week...winter to date is incomplete so no grade yet.

You will find few winters in the last 30 years that offered a week like this. We are NOT a multiple event snowpack town and 8 days of subfreezing with solid snowpack is a rare and sweet winter gift. For this reason alone I'll go C- minimum but that's just me

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

You will find few winters in the last 30 years that offered a week like this. We are NOT a multiple event snowpack town and 8 days of subfreezing with solid snowpack is a rare and sweet winter gift. For this reason alone I'll go C- minimum but that's just me

I agree 100%. I'm going B, even if that was it. One more event would make it an A in my book. We had some interesting non snow storms as well. This week was epic. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic