• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan Medium/Long Range Disco: Winter is coming

stormtracker

I was telling psuhoffman the other day that if we got to January 1 and there was nothing noteworthy as a threat in the next 15 days, I would downgrade my snowfall forecast for the entire area by about 25%. 

Here we are, it's Jan 1 and we're tracking a threat that just might pan out for us. Not planning on any changes to my outlook until after the 1/7 event passes, then I will reassess from there. Downgrade may still happen if we go all rain in the low lands, which is not off the table yet. 

• Like 8

27 minutes ago, Scraff said:

Too early to start pre-gaming for the 18z GooFuS? Other Half Green Power DIPA making me feel like happy hour is about to deliver the goods. So much for dry January! It’s about to be wet and white January! Oh god. Too many jokes left tee’d up….:lol:

Better be careful, that's close to pushing @ravensrule's bat signal right there!  He's already answered a couple of inadvertent ones earlier in this thread! :lol:

But seriously, yes, hoping the 18Z GFS keeps this thing going.  We're going to see things move around back and forth (with attendant mood swings in here every blasted model cycle!), but it would be nice to keep this storm there and alive.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Terpeast said:

I was telling psuhoffman the other day that if we got to January 1 and there was nothing noteworthy as a threat in the next 15 days, I would downgrade my snowfall forecast for the entire area by about 25%. 

Here we are, it's Jan 1 and we're tracking a threat that just might pan out for us. Not planning on any changes to my outlook until after the 1/7 event passes, then I will reassess from there. Downgrade may still happen if we go all rain in the low lands, which is not off the table yet. 

I’m in the same boat but I’m also waiting to see how the pattern evolves after the likely cutter. If the eps is right and we get to that look by Jan 15th or so…a lot of the big analog years the majority of the snow fell after Jan 20 anyways. EPS is heading toward having the look we want by then. 66 and 87 had pretty much nothing in the cities before Jan 20.  87 there was a coastal storm that dropped like 6” here and 12 up in PA but was mostly rain in the cities right around the same time as this threat.  

• Like 3

OK, so we've had talk of squirrels, big dogs (NOT Dawgs, damn you Georgia!), ducks, albatrosses, whatever.   But how about a pileated woodpecker?  Saw this guy digging away at a tree nearby where I'm at...he just went about his business and didn't mind me standing there taking several photos.  You can see some of the wood chips he tossed aside.  I hear when a woodpecker is busy, it portends a snowstorm.  Well, not really, but it sounds good!

245890023_PileatedWoodpecker.thumb.jpg.9a764a3638eed97af9d6be1500dc390e.jpg

• Like 13
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

OK, so we've had talk of squirrels, big dogs (NOT Dawgs, damn you Georgia!), ducks, albatrosses, whatever.   But how about a pileated woodpecker?  Saw this guy digging away at a tree nearby where I'm at...he just went about his business and didn't mind me standing there taking several photos.  You can see some of the wood chips he tossed aside.  I hear when a woodpecker is busy, it portends a snowstorm.  Well, not really, but it sounds good!

Woodpecker. @ravensrulehigh school nickname. :lol: Ok back to weather. Who’s doing PBP for happy hour GooFuS?

• Haha 1

Saw one yesterday fly across the road in front of my car.

7 minutes ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

I have a pair of them up in 200 year old black walnut tree. They are very elusive but did see one twice this year. Last year saw them both  together once.  They are Big. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, WEATHER53 said:

I have a pair of them up in 200 year old black walnut tree. They are very elusive but did see one twice this year. Last year saw them both  together once.  They are Big. 

Not to get too far off-topic (but we're not in storm mode or anything yet!)...but yeah, they are large birds!!  And you can hear their call quite clearly and far away (very distinctive).  They don't seem to mind people just sitting there watching them even fairly close.  I'd say I was a few yards down from this tree looking up at him, and was using a 500mm lens when I took that.  I literally took a dozen or so shots at different angles, and saved the better ones (some were blurry because his head was moving too fast).

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, andyhb said:

I don’t check in here all that often, but I’ll summarize the last few days of model runs for January across most of the CONUS in a couple of words.

Switch. Flipped.

Good seeing you in the sub Andy! Hope all is well down in Norman. If you ever want to take the NWS route, feel free to reach out. Hopefully the southern stream can give you guys some fun later this month through winter. 

2 hours ago, stormtracker said:

Dude, at that time  I was doing drunken backflips in some club. I was told. I just woke up. Going back and reading shit now

It’s about as perfect a track as we get. Try to keep low not lower than 1000 and cold air can hold . If it does end up 50 miles east of OC then it is following some history makers. I liked this a lot from a week ago and  said do then. It was an example of where our goodies come from and  made sense.aUpur creation of a new thread sprinkled in the magic snow dust it looks like!!!

Hope your trip is Great and  Happy Nude Year 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, WEATHER53 said:

Keep vigilant for carpenter bees. If they are around those woodpeckers will stop at nothing to get at them. That includes deck boards and siding.

• Like 1

Just now, WinterWxLuvr said:

Keep vigilant for carpenter bees. If they are around those woodpeckers will stop at nothing to get at them. That includes deck boards and siding.

Hate the carpenter bees. We moved into our new house a few years ago and they had put so many holes in our wood fence. I've spend the past couple of years trying to eradicate them and fill in the holes. People that lived here before us did like zero maintenance on anything.

• Like 1

Just now, WinterWxLuvr said:

GFS would seem to be on a similar path to 12z. Early though

Wedging looks to have improved once again ever so slightly looking at the isollbars on h5 as cold air really gets entrenched. You can see them push far down south and west into Georgia. Good to see that so far.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

We have a nest at our place (our property is next to the National Forrest in our area)so we see several flying around.  Great big ol rascals. I will say they have been busy and the squirrels nests are high this year.