Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan Medium/Long Range Disco: Winter is coming

stormtracker

Just now, osfan24 said:

Was not saying this is the final solution but that is definitely suppressed. I don't even think the heavy snow bands reach 95 unless the GFS is just not correctly showing how expansive precip would be on the northwest side.

I hear you, I just love seeing this solution versus the low running through Charleston WV, lol.  We've got the high and low in the right place with this run... time cross fingers that it sticks to the canonical track off of the OBX/VA coast over the next two days worth of runs.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MillvilleWx said:

I was noticing that too. The energy is sort of left behind over the OH Valley and it allows the storm to not gain as much latitude. Could very well be noise in this type of setup. What I liked was the persistence of the high over the top and the energy cutting underneath. A little more phasing would've basically produced the ICON simulation. Not a terrible run and actually kind of where you would want to see it in the medium range. GEFS should be pretty

I like seeing wider goalposts honestly.  The more paths to some sort of event the better.  Meanwhile GGEM goes the opposite direction and phases it in much earlier and hence a more inland track and just rain for the 95 corridor. 

• Like 9

Gfs may have overcorrected with the SE trend (or it may be onto something)

We have a little more wiggle room with cold air and the r/s/mix line, and that’s what we can say at this point. 

No complaints ( except maybe the Canadian)

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Paleocene said:

I hear you, I just love seeing this solution versus the low running through Charleston WV, lol.  We've got the high and low in the right place with this run... time cross fingers that it sticks to the canonical track off of the OBX/VA coast over the next two days worth of runs.

Oh yeah, I am not worried about that run. It was a perfectly fine run that keeps everyone right in the game. I do agree it looks like a pretty classic Mid-Atlantic MECS to HECS storm track. Just needed to gain a bit more lattitude.

One thing I'd like to see to pump up the totals more into HECS range is some WAA snow running through the region before we get into the CCB.

• Like 2

Just now, WxUSAF said:

I like seeing wider goalposts honestly.  The more paths to some sort of event the better.  Meanwhile GGEM goes the opposite direction and phases it in much earlier and hence a more inland track and just rain for the 95 corridor. 

Canadian is just another solution within the margin of error. It was the snowiest for a succession of runs and now it flips. I'm still in ensemble mode and will be curious to see where the means come in. A storm is 100% in the works, just a matter of how the upper pattern evolves with translation at the surface. Finer details will not be hashed for several more days yet. Everyone should just take the deterministic as a viable solution within the margin. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

is there a NW trend mechanism set in a nino like the SER in a nina? the confluence could trend weaker in the short range and go N but thats not set in stone and dependable on like a NW trend in a nina

2019 had a few NW trends but it was the only nino i tracked and it didnt really couple properly so i was j wondering cause i hear a lot of people being certain of a NW trend in the short range

10 minutes ago, Shad said:

if your following trends, you may want this to stop pushing south and east....pretty substantial changes in last 3 model runs

Considering the 12z CMC still is a little too far north west I think we’re ok if it keeps pushing south east.

2 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

Oh yeah, I am not worried about that run. It was a perfectly fine run that keeps everyone right in the game. I do agree it looks like a pretty classic Mid-Atlantic MECS to HECS storm track. Just needed to gain a bit more lattitude.

One thing I'd like to see to pump up the totals more into HECS range is some WAA snow running through the region before we get into the CCB.

This is not a HECS setup by any means.  Just isn't.  Too progressive, not deep enough, etc.  Could be a very nice event for someone, certainly the best in literally years, but it's not a HECS.  

• Like 7

Makes sense the GFS shows it being a bit more south. It pushes the cold down more and storms track along the that gradient. It’s gonna move around more as models figure out the confluence, cold press, NS vort etc. 

Just one run to file away as a possible outcome. It’s not the final one 

• Like 5

This is not a HECS setup by any means.  Just isn't.  Too progressive, not deep enough, etc.  Could be a very nice event for someone, certainly the best in literally years, but it's not a HECS.  

giphy.gif

• Like 3
  • Haha 10

Stepped away for a bit and came back to 120+ posts in less than an hour.  Knew something was up, but the ICON looks drool-worthy.  But the totals on the clown map showing more for DC than NW burbs is questionable.  

Great to have you back with us Bob Chill.  Your like E.F. Hutton for those of us old enough to remember those commercials.  Hope the outcome going forward bodes well for you sticking around.  

• Like 3

What? I thought every Storm in a Nino was suppose to be a hecs!
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, DCAlexandria said:

giphy.gif

Have to agree with WxUSAF. This doesn’t quite have the markings of a 96/10/16 style HECS, but could still be a significant event for NW of the fall line. Max upside is around a foot for the lower elevs but with temp/ptype issues, the reality may be half that even with a favorable track. 

ETA: WPC seems more bullish though, so we shall see

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, Terpeast said:

Have to agree with WxUSAF. This doesn’t quite have the markings of a 96/10/16 style HECS, but could still be a significant event for NW of the fall line. Max upside is around a foot for the lower elevs but with temp/ptype issues, the reality may be half that even with a favorable track. 

Verbatim the GFS snow depth map is ugly for the cities - at least compared 10:1. Buuuutt I recall the December storm where ground temps sucked and rates + darkness overcame. If we start overnight and it's as heavy as the winning runs have been I think the max upside isn't a difficult reach. 

Expect 2" and some slop and most of us will probably be happy though

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Terpeast said:

Considering the vibe was ‘winter cancel’ 2 days ago, it’ll be interesting to watch that same crowd react if this is “just” a 3-6” event.

• Like 3

Considering the vibe was ‘winter cancel’ 2 days ago, it’ll be interesting to watch that same crowd react if this is “just” a 3-6” event.

Psu will not do a 3-6 under any circumstance in a Nino
  • Haha 1