Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Jan Medium/Long Range Disco: Winter is coming

stormtracker

20 minutes ago, wxmvpete said:

...I wish when I was in middle/high school that I had the kind of access to degreed mets (and even those non-mets that have learned a ton over the years on forums such as these) that younger folks have today...

THIS!  I was a snow weenie in the late 70s/80s and all I had was TV weather folks and my Bearcat weather radio LOL.  I can't say enough how much I appreciate the mets and forecasting experts on this board

Whatever happens happens next weekend but I am confident that we will get a couple good events out of this winter

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Terpeast said:

At the risk of making a “water is wet” statement, I remember it being much colder, too. I have fond memories of the back to back 87 storms. 

This might be number 6 on my top 10 storms ever, after the 2009-10 trifecta, 1983, PD II in 2003. Feb 79 is in there too but I was too young to appreciate it. Jan 1996 was awesome but the middle third of the storm was pure sleet.

Composite Plot

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

It was my number one until 2016. I wont live to see another storm like 2016 in my life. 

post-2035-0-19290400-1453567686_thumb.jpgpost-2035-0-38636900-1453571896_thumb.jpg

Driveway and neighbors driveway during the height. I rode the edge of the dryslot. Storm never took its foot off the gas. Only been 88 years.... lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I lived in Winchester Va/frederick county for all the big ones since 83 but I was only 2 in 83. March 93 is still my favorite snowstorm—Snowed in at my grandmothers house in the rural part of the county—we stayed there because she had a wood stove. The wind, the duration, the snow drifts were all unreal. Remember taking a night walk with my dad down our dirt road in the peak of the blizzard; there was an abandoned s-10 pickup amidst the drifts. Jan 2016 is the most snow I’ve ever seen. I’m told Feb 83 was to the  2016 numbers at my parents house. PD 2 was the coldest I remember. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, notvirga! said:

I’m told Feb 83 was to the  2016 numbers at my parents house

Yep. And I am not sure if PD2 is the 03' storm. But that storm was ridiculous out here too. I know a lot of people like 96'. But it was really ho hum out here. 2016 is the king daddy of all of them. I have never seen anything like that in my life. And most likely never will again. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, psuhoffman said:

Look at where the thermal boundary is at 850 and surface as the wave approaches

Good post.. It's just too warm. Because the source is in the N. Pacific ocean, the odds of a favorable trend to the end are pretty low (the region doesn't fluctuate as much). Add to the fact that this Pacific region has hooked up with a SE ridge more than normal over the past few Winters (despite -NAO) and you have a real "problem". Jan correlation is also +53%.  This may end up raining all the way to State College. 

In the end of the 18z GEFS we have that strong -PNA look, and it's a pretty good anomaly projection for 15-16 days away on the mean.. linking with now a trough over the NW and it's going to take at least a little time to move away from that pattern. It's not going to snow in that pattern I think. My analogs showed that when we have a dominant PNA that changes, we hang warm for a few days after. I've said Jan 20th before something favorable develops, but it could be later. 

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

2 minutes ago, CAPE said:

2016 doesn't even make my top 10. Half a storm here. Dry slotted after 15". The deform band yielded nothing.

Same here, 2016 was kinda meh, at least as much as a 12" storm can be meh.  Dec 2009 ftw in my 20yrs in SoMD.  Of course LES snow in Michigan during my childhood was on another level...but that's not the same. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Jan 1996 was awesome but the middle third of the storm was pure sleet.

Jan 96 is my #1. According to obs from others I should have seen sleet or at least dry slotted, but I never saw a pellet and snizzled all through the slot which lasted only a couple of hours, then it cranked up again all night and all morning with legit blizzard conditions. Also the coldest storm I’ve seen, and call me crazy I preferred it over the 2009-10 storms. 

I was upset that not only DCA but also IAD lowballed their totals in that storm because I got significantly more and wanted that on official record

• Like 4

1 minute ago, IronTy said:

Same here, 2016 was kinda meh, at least as much as a 12" storm can be meh.  Dec 2009 ftw in my 20yrs in SoMD.  Of course LES snow in Michigan during my childhood was on another level...but that's not the same. 

I have always wanted to go chase some LE bands in my life. Need to do that before I get too old to drive. I was on a business trip one time up in Rochester. And there was some lake effect. But it wasnt impressive to me. Not close to a deform band on a wound up monster noreaster. 

Dynamically speaking we have to rank March 13, 1993, somewhere I feel.  Storm Surge on the Gulf Coast West Coast.  Over a foot of snow down in Brimingham Alabama and 16" of snow followed by 5" of sleet and a rainbow at the end.   That was an interesting storm it was like 56 degrees the day before and when it started snowing winds were NNE gusting to like 35 mph and it started snowing at 40 degrees. 

• Like 4

GB16, Jan 22 to 23, I got 27 inches of snow. Let me tell you: I got my fill of digging that snow. First I had to dig our car out of a 4 foot drift. Then the neighbors started up. I had been running my mouth about snow for years.  All the neighbors said you wanted this snow, Jeb! We want Jebman Standards. Well, I got enough snow. It took five days to dig them all out. I made some money. That, was a hell of a LOT of snow!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

What are the stats on winters where you get to 20” before BWI has anything measurable?

The disconnect between my snowfall and Baltimore is increasing lately.  We won't talk about why.  

46 minutes ago, wxmvpete said:

That MillvilleWx guy is a pretty good dude also. Knows his stuff pretty darn well. B)

P.S.A. for all the mets that contribute on here. It takes time away from their day (and nights depending on what your job is), while balancing being a significant other/spouse and possible father/mother that many of the mets make to contribute on here. I wish when I was in middle/high school that I had the kind of access to degreed mets (and even those non-mets that have learned a ton over the years on forums such as these) that younger folks have today. It's going to be a long 5-6 days for this system and still plenty of winter to go. Be courteous and treat others how you'd like to be treated. Sprinkle in a couple good snowstorms and this place ought to be fun. :)

Do you commute all the way to DC from Westminster?  

56 minutes ago, Heisy said:

Man, 83’ is one event I would have loved to experience. Check out the ULL just NE of Maine. Looks like it just trapped that beast underneath it.

It basically snowed 2 inches per hour for 12 consecutive hours at least in the location I lived 10 miles Northwest of Baltimore.

• Like 5

February '79 was very memorable to me for several reasons:  one it's the first big storm that I remember where the forecast the night before was calling for nothing and we received over 2 feet;  about 11 years old looked out the window that am from my second story window screaming and waking my parents and two younger brothers up because I thought the car had been stolen ( it was buried under a snow drift!!!);  I had the whole week off from school, stuff like that does not happen anymore.

IMG_2548.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

Do you commute all the way to DC from Westminster?  

Yep. We get to work remotely a couple times a pay period. But otherwise, I commute to College Park. On a great day, I can get here in just over 1 hour. My wife works in the Hereford Zone and my in-laws live near Freeland. So it's closer to family and my wife's job which is what we wanted (originally lived near Sykesville). Farther drive for me, but I remind myself on those 90+ minute commutes home that the house/price was worth it,  and living at 1,000ft will occasionally have its perks in winter.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Weather Will said:

February '79 was very memorable to me for several reasons:  one it's the first big storm that I remember where the forecast the night before was calling for nothing and we received over 2 feet;  about 11 years old looked out the window that am from my second story window screaming and waking my parents and two younger brothers up because I thought the car had been stolen ( it was buried under a snow drift!!!);  I had the whole week off from school, stuff like that does not happen anymore.

February 19, 1979. I think there were 24 inches on the ground. I was staying at Watergate at Landmark with my dad. I was 14 or 15. We were on the 10th floor. Those buildings  were all 20 stories. I looked  down on a landscape I did not recognize. When I got down I could hardly believe it! It was a scene straight out of the Arctic. I tried to walk in it but the snow was just too damn deep. Once I got my hands on a shovel, I started digging people out. Man that was a Blast!

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Patience. Things might not get good in the lower elevations of the MA until late Jan. Feb into March could be a memorable period. Just my wag at this point. No one likes to hear that, but it's just the way we roll in Ninos for the most part.

All ya gotta do is just look at the list of the biggest storms at BWI. Most of the dates were after January 10th! Only exceptions I can remember are 1996 and 2009. Everything else? In that sweet spot, lol

9 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Now you guys have done it … ‘93. ‘Nuff said

I dont know man. I went to sleep on the SECOND night of 2016 and when I woke up I couldnt find my snowboard anymore. It was just gone. I knew where it was but when I tried to get to it the snow was up to my chest. I was measuring with a drywall t square which is 48 inches long and I would shove it into the snow and it would disappear. I know we had over 40 inches with that storm. But honestly to this day I have no idea how much snow we actually got. And I dont think anyone was capable of getting a true measurement of that storm. 

18 minutes ago, Weather Will said:

IMG_2548.jpeg

I was living just south of Westminster back then. That might have been the best storm ever in my current location.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I dont know man. I went to sleep on the SECOND night of 2016 and when I woke up I couldnt find my snowboard anymore. It was just gone. I knew where it was but when I tried to get to it the snow was up to my chest. I was measuring with a drywall t square which is 48 inches long and I would shove it into the snow and it would disappear. I know we had over 40 inches with that storm. But honestly to this day I have no idea how much snow we actually got. And I dont think anyone was capable of getting a true measurement of that storm. 

It may well have been 40 inches or close to it. I lived in the city of Winchester and it was the closest I’ve seen to three feet and that’s snow depth not snowfall accumulation. 

• Like 1