• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Total Solar Eclipse, April 8, 2024

wxsniss

I'm in Thornton, and the evolving plan now is to leave here tomorrow around 7AM and just get through the notch around 7:30 to try to beat out the Boston metro travellers who leave at dawn. Once through the notch, you're just about at totality, so even if the highways are packed (which I don't expect at that time, or am I being too optimistic?), there will be back roads we shoudl be able to take to get further into the thread f totality. Initial plan was Jay Peak, but I think a 1/2 day at Burke may be better. I think once at Burke we can decide if we want to travel further north. I'm just not sure what to do afterwards. Hang out and grab dinner and hope to make it back to the cabin by 7pm?

1 hour ago, MarkO said:

I'm in Thornton, and the evolving plan now is to leave here tomorrow around 7AM and just get through the notch around 7:30 to try to beat out the Boston metro travellers who leave at dawn. Once through the notch, you're just about at totality, so even if the highways are packed (which I don't expect at that time, or am I being too optimistic?), there will be back roads we shoudl be able to take to get further into the thread f totality. Initial plan was Jay Peak, but I think a 1/2 day at Burke may be better. I think once at Burke we can decide if we want to travel further north. I'm just not sure what to do afterwards. Hang out and grab dinner and hope to make it back to the cabin by 7pm?

Watch what  those cirrus coming in from the west.  If you have choices more easterly options might be best.  I'm thinking epic traffic jam in the notch right afterwards in that area near Echo lake which is one lane.  This will be interesting to see how it plays out.  It seems to me so many people are going but my circle of friends are interested in things like this so it is hard to gauge.

• Like 1

2044 is happening here?  

Oh ... you mean in general.

My experience with attempting to buck demographics with sneaky lesser known routes and circuitous right and left turns that you think others aren't really accessing is that you end up actually worse - because it's far worse to be in grid lock alongthose podunk roads.  With millions of people attempting to converge on N NY-NY-VT-N NH, the odds are overwhelmingly against you.  The probability is there are thousands of people that thought the same thing you did and en masse, you're all packing those roads too. 

It doesn't work. 

I think my crew is planning on a disk golf round afterward.  That will give 2 or 3 hours for the fudge to unpack.

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

2044 is happening here?  

Oh ... you mean in general.

My experience with attempting to buck demographics with sneaky lesser known routes and circuitous right and left turns that you think others aren't really accessing is that you end up actually worse - because it's far worse to be in grid lock alongthose podunk roads.  With millions of people attempting to converge on N NY-NY-VT-N NH, the odds are overwhelmingly against you.  The probability is there are thousands of people that thought the same thing you did and en masse, you're all packing those roads too. 

It doesn't work. 

I think my crew is planning on a disk golf round afterward.  That will give 2 or 3 hours for the fudge to unpack.

Fudge packers?

15 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Heh, now I have to consider Maine. It may be a bit longer, but I may go to a place in eastern Maine off 95 just to avoid the backroads. The Katahdin scenic outlook is closed?

Rangely seems good on paper but the road network doesn’t seem ideal to me. 

My spies tell me the Katahdin Overlook is plowed and open, fwiw

• Like 3

I plan on hiking Bald Mountain in Oquossoc ME, near Rangeley.  Leave Portland around 3am and get there just after sunrise, snowshoe up with a crap ton of gear - a couple camera bodies, a 500mm lens, a 14mm lens, two tripods and assorted accessories - and enjoy a sunny warm day at the summit. I suspect I will not be alone, but it won’t be crowded.  A late departure time for the return trip home will hopefully mean a lot less time in traffic .. home by 10:00?  That would be ideal

• Like 3

16 hours ago, RU848789 said:

Thanks for the intel.  Actually, our B&B is in North Hebron but was saying Plymouth as it's the nearest "city."  Had heard of this section of 93 being gorgeous, so was actually looking forward to going that way, which is why we were hoping leaving by 8 am would be early enough to avoid bad traffic.  That gets us to the Notch around 8:30 am and to Pittsburg by 10:30 am if traffic is reasonable - we're prepared to just hang around for a few hours at our destination before the event (and after) and will have plenty of food and beverages and I even still have my old Rand McNally Road Atlas as backup, lol.  We'll be up earlier checking traffic and if it is looking bad earlier than 8 am, we'll just leave earlier.  And if it looked really bad at the Notch, we'd go around it on 25/116 back to 91/3 in Franconia (adds 25 min, but could be worth it).  We also would probably rather go to Newport, VT, but have been worried about how close the clouds come to there - if it looks good on Monday am, we'd likely go there and can take 91 instead of 93.  It also helps that we're retired so it's really not a big deal to us to go early to avoid traffic or to wait a few hours after the event to leave, since we don't have to be anywhere (we have the B&B Monday night too)

We "flew" up from NJ this morning, with very little traffic, going the 341 miles in 5 hours.  Now safely ensconced in our B&B after an awesome breakfast at Gilly's in Bristol.  Will likely do Franconia Notch as a side trip this afternoon unless traffic picks up too much.  Still debating Newport (Nearby Jay Peak is open for the eclipse with free parking if you get there early) vs. Pittsburg - if clouds look iffy to the west, we'll pick Pittsburg as it's 45 miles east of Newport.  

Not a bad view from the huge suite at Coppertoppe B&B...

May be an image of ski slope, mountain, lake and tree

2 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

I just heard from a friend that just came up that RT 93 traffic is very heavy northbound.  Over a 3 mile backup at the split of Rt 89 and Rt 93.

yup. currently looks like a summer Friday afternoon based on the google map

Based on everything still thinking Newport with the idea of cutting over towards Colebrook if clouds interfere.  Honestly I’m not at all worried about a few wisps of cirrus.  Mesos look good so far.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I like how GYX factored the reduced insolation into their temp forecast for 3pm tomorrow.

IMG_4099.jpeg

BTV did the same, pretty cool...

For Monday, trends in guidance continue to be for a slightly faster
arrival of high clouds which will likely provide a filtered view of
the eclipse for the North Country and Champlain Valley, while east
of the Greens should remain more clear through 4 PM before the
clouds move in. 925mb temps of +6-8C and steep low level lapse rates
would normally support highs in the low/mid 60s but with totality
occurring right around normal peak heating backed off on high temps
a few degrees for 55-60. We`ll additionally see a brief drop in
temps of 4-6 degrees during totality as well, which will be cool to
observe. Mid/high clouds stick around Monday night with no
precipitation expected and low temps milder ranging through the 30s.

And thanks for pinning this thread!

5 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Ha. It’s a logistics nightmare with kids and work etc.  

Totally sympathize... at one point, I naively planned to bring my 1 and 4 yo... then wisened up not to squander a once-in-a-lifetime 3 minutes to a "daddy my glasses keep falling off" tantrum lol

Thankfully the grandparents will babysit

1 hour ago, weathafella said:

Based on everything still thinking Newport with the idea of cutting over towards Colebrook if clouds interfere.  Honestly I’m not at all worried about a few wisps of cirrus.  Mesos look good so far.

Same exact plan

Agree I think cloud cover will be a thin veil at most + we'll be far enough east that Newport vs. Colebrook should work. Defaulting to Newport given the extra seconds of totality.

I'm so nervous just about getting there leaving Boston at 8am.

Still can't believe New England may have one of the the best patches of viewing on the planet...

I'll PM you my cell #

12 minutes ago, wxsniss said:

Same exact plan

Agree I think cloud cover will be a thin veil at most + we'll be far enough east that Newport vs. Colebrook should work. Defaulting to Newport given the extra seconds of totality.

I'm so nervous just about getting there leaving Boston at 8am.

Still can't believe New England may have one of the the best patches of viewing on the planet...

I'll PM you my cell #

I think we have each other’s?  I’ll text to test.

• Like 1