joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2024 -- Discussion

moneypitmike

52 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

15 here, looks like it was pretty bad up your way though

SnowTotals-05Mar01.jpg

Whats odd to me is that I was living in central VT at the time and have no memory of that storm.  I remember having a discussion with a friend at the time that they were having issues at their home because the snow was so deep their dogs kept walking over their stockade fence.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, klw said:

Whats odd to me is that I was living in central VT at the time and have no memory of that storm.  I remember having a discussion with a friend at the time that they were having issues at their home because the snow was so deep their dogs kept walking over their stockade fence.

I remember it.  Seemed like it would never end.  In the middle of it, my boiler died.  I had to get a new one and they couldn't get the old wood/coal/oil monster out until spring because there was so much snow in front of the bulkhead door.  Luckily the new one was much smaller and could come through the front door.  The wife and dog stayed at my father in laws for a week while I stayed home manning space heaters to keep the pipes from freezing.  Fun times!

• Like 2

Just now, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

With 12z runs so far, I’d be surprised if anyone outside of extreme SW CT got measurable from this.

That dry air is going to destroy whatever light snow might have been on the northern edge 

It wasn't insurmountable though. 1-3 to the pike wouldn't need much QPF. 

3 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Yea especially in NJ but we are New England where a blockbuster or 2 will bring us up. 

Still will be incredibly difficult to avoid an 8th straight AN temp winter. We keep kicking the can, first it was after Christmas, then mid Jan, now it’s Feb. Lets just call it what it is, a ratter.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

It isn't analogous in set up or in ceiling, but these tight-gradient latitude dealies fighting dry air always remind me of the 2015 anafrontal event. No advisory given, a couple inches forecast, into 13" here. At the end of it it was snowing hard and the sky was bifurcated, half blue bird sky, half cats paws falling. As uneventful as that will have been for virtually everyone else, it was my favorite event as an adult ever, just because it showed how weather can confound even far more advanced forecasting.

It also made me pay more attention to dozens of other events subsequently that ultimately reverted to the mean and came to absolutely nothing! This could well be that.

Now, that event could have been just offshore as they often are. One difference also is there wasn't much complicated going on there, it was just "where does this stream of moisture go," here there's a suggestion of development in points east (mostly on the fishes) and there is suppression favoring points sw in connecticut. 

I'm watching it - what else am I going to do? This is a window, there won't be many others at the coast.

17 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

Yeah pretty high, i mentioned that earlier. Low end is just a straight goose egg for everyone. 

SnowAmt90Prcntl120.thumb.jpg.883a0e44941be056fc51aa7645de16d0.jpg

Forecasting down here the past 2 seasons has been quite easy....look at all of the clown maps, 12 hrs to first flakes, take the lowest number and it will most likely be correct....call it what it is, but it has been right way more than anything else. if the forecast is 3-5, the hrrr/Euro/etc, what ever is the lowest, say 1.5", it will be around 1.5". Just our luck down here....I remember when we actually had positive busts down here, now its earlier changeovers, dryslots, late phases, lbsw, air was too dry to start, the atmosphere seems to have many reasons, LOL. Looks like Friday might have multiple reasons why, here the biggest looks to be dry air. At some point, something has to go in the snowier direction and flip the switch.

24.4° at 1:15 in the afternoon should secure our first sub 20 degree high for this winter season, low dipped to 6.3° right before the sun peaked over the ridge this morning. I suspect if we can get the winds to go calm tonight or this weekend, we should be able to go below zero....

Our 1.5" of snow/sleet/Frz rain is actually disappearing on the south facing hills this afternoon, not bad considering the low temps.... 

1 minute ago, Spanks45 said:

Forecasting down here the past 2 seasons has been quite easy....look at all of the clown maps, 12 hrs to first flakes, take the lowest number and it will most likely be correct....call it what it is, but it has been right way more than anything else. if the forecast is 3-5, the hrrr/Euro/etc, what ever is the lowest, say 1.5", it will be around 1.5". Just our luck down here....I remember when we actually had positive busts down here, now its earlier changeovers, dryslots, late phases, lbsw, air was too dry to start, the atmosphere seems to have many reasons, LOL. Looks like Friday might have multiple reasons why, here the biggest looks to be dry air. At some point, something has to go in the snowier direction and flip the switch.

24.4° at 1:15 in the afternoon should secure our first sub 20 degree high for this winter season, low dipped to 6.3° right before the sun peaked over the ridge this morning. I suspect if we can get the winds to go calm tonight or this weekend, we should be able to go below zero....

Our 1.5" of snow/sleet/Frz rain is actually disappearing on the south facing hills this afternoon, not bad considering the low temps.... 

image.thumb.png.64b56891ebeed1792c7095b1a8e392fc.pngThe southern CT snow hole has taken the place of the RI snow hole of the past ..  You hate to see it, but it's real.. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, George001 said:

Still will be incredibly difficult to avoid an 8th straight AN temp winter. We keep kicking the can, first it was after Christmas, then mid Jan, now it’s Feb. Lets just call it what it is, a ratter.

That piqued my curiosity, as we were solidly BN for 2017-18 and even moreso in 2018-19, in which the 4 coldest months were all BN.  2016-17 was AN for DJM but slightly BN for DJFM thanks to March being 5.1° BN.