Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2024

wdrag

14 hours ago, Allsnow said:

Per NWS they will be close to the states all time record low 

⚠️ Bitter cold temperatures will impact the Northern Rockies tonight into Saturday morning. Overnight lows across western Montana will generally drop between 20 to 30 below zero, with areas along the divide, such as Seeley Lake, Potomac, and Polebridge reaching 40 below zero! 

To put this event into historical context, the all-time record low for any climate site in western Montana and north-central Idaho is -53F, set in Seeley Lake on January 7th, 1937. Our current forecast has -47F for Potomac, Montana. 

Now is the time to finish preparations for these extreme temperatures! Consider checking on family, friends, and the elderly and have a plan in place for pets and livestock.

If I remember correctly, the record coldest temp ever recorded in the CONUS is actually -70, from West Yellowstone?

11 hours ago, Volcanic Winter said:

Coldest temps here I’ve experienced are around zero, but the coldest I’ve ever felt was when we went to northern Iceland last winter and caught the tail end of a colder period. At night it was like 10-15 degrees but with 40 mile per hour wind. I’ve never experienced anything like that, you needed beefy insulation and a serious shell to mute that wind or you would turn into an iceblock. It’s well known how mild Iceland is for its latitude, and indeed it is relatively speaking. But the wind is the great equalizer there as it can absolutely ferocious and unrelenting. Despite, sections of the north do have a tundra climate which is quite cool to experience.

The wind makes an absolutely enormous difference with this stuff though for sure. -10F is one thing, but -10 with any real wind would be scary. Can’t imagine colder than that. 

@MJO812 Go with your SO to Iceland in Nov or Dec and get up to Akureyri. See the sights around there (carefully). You’ll be in your glory.

We've had that here..... in 2003-04 we had a snowstorm where the temps were in the single digits and the winds were blowing like 30 mph.  In January 1996 the blizzard started with temps in the single digits also.

I'm trying to remember our lowest wind chills, but the way they were calculated changed back in the 90s I think.  Before that we'd regularly get wind chills down to -60 with the old calculation method lol.  With the new method, I think -30 to -35 is the coldest wind chill we've had.

• Thanks 1

Ensembles overnight seem to have gone back to accelerating the return to a cool down again...problem is they do not agree on where the ridge is, GEFS too far west and we'd keep getting cutters but be cold...GEPS a bit better, EPS best...all have a +NAO

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

We've had that here..... in 2003-04 we had a snowstorm where the temps were in the single digits and the winds were blowing like 30 mph.  In January 1996 the blizzard started with temps in the single digits also.

I'm trying to remember our lowest wind chills, but the way they were calculated changed back in the 90s I think.  Before that we'd regularly get wind chills down to -60 with the old calculation method lol.  With the new method, I think -30 to -35 is the coldest wind chill we've had.

Thanks, yeah my experience could be amplified as we’re outdoors the majority of our time there. So you really feel the conditions.