Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Sunday, December 17 - Monday, December 18, 2023 Storm

weatherwiz

13 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

thing is... S/SSE wind tends to have a lower tree failure threshold - it could be related to that.  I mean we've had a wet autumn. The ground isn't frozen... the usual suspects, then repeating 35 mph gusts through a region that hasn't really had a lot of synoptic scaled wind this summer and fall. 

I remember remarking to Dryslot in our conversation a couple weeks ago, that we realliy seemed to have a low wind autumn.  Of course, within a days of doing so, we get a couple of wind headlined events - of course.   Anyway, the point is ...lack of 'natural pruning' adds to some vulnerability.

The other aspect is that when towns go down, the surrounding towns pick up the slack - this can sometimes cause break switches to trip.  They need to send out a boom truck with a fiberglass pole, and hapless lineman with big gloves to poke the switch and pray - I've seen them do this ... because I'm the last mother'fugger on my trunk and the pole is right outside my damn door. I've literally, on more times I care to recall ..., had to phone an outage of 1 single household to NGRID and have then send over a truck.

Very true, I've discussed that with my Eversource contacts about wind direction and failures. It isn't all the same for every area but it makes sence. We are lucky enough to have our own grid in Westfield and they are amazing at quick restorations. I'm sure you're right about the wet ground playing a role, we were just talking about that here