Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Discobs 2023

George BM

9 minutes ago, wxdude64 said:

Appears another cloudy to mostly cloudy day is in store again. Currently cloudy and 40.1/29.0. Only dropped to right at freezing overnight, again the clouds held temps up a bit I believe. 

Ugh.. I know. Cloudy is common in Dec. People ask me why my greenhouse is lit with plant lights. It's because cannabis needs light and our days are short and cloudy. They love the combination of both sun and LED's. 

High clouds and 47 outside 

Greenhouse- 76 with sunny conditions, and humidity of 46%. Winds about 10 mph. Week 7 of flower.

• Like 1

Yep, just be glad you aren't closer to the App peaks. I read once that the western bank of the App's is one of the cloudiest spots in US, averaging around 225 days a year. I know in fall and winter when the winds are anywhere from WNW to NNW it stays cloudy here 95% of the time. THEN a NE to E wind pulls the clouds back in from east and it is cloudy again lol. I have a woodstove in basement, currently 84.3 degrees and humidity of 24% down there lol. 

9 minutes ago, Terpeast said:

47, cloudy. 

We're in the clouds without precip portion of the program.  It's pretty noticeable how much residual cloud cover we get being right along the Blue Ridge compared to places towards Richmond/south and east, especially in this type of a NW flow pattern.

2 hours ago, wxdude64 said:

Yep, just be glad you aren't closer to the App peaks. I read once that the western bank of the App's is one of the cloudiest spots in US, averaging around 225 days a year. I know in fall and winter when the winds are anywhere from WNW to NNW it stays cloudy here 95% of the time. THEN a NE to E wind pulls the clouds back in from east and it is cloudy again lol. I have a woodstove in basement, currently 84.3 degrees and humidity of 24% down there lol. 

I just commented something similar prior to reading this.  Aside from a few years when I was traveling for IT, I've spent most of my life in MoCo until I moved to Frederick.  Even compared to DC, I feel like there's slightly more clouds along the Catoctin's.  The part that kinda sucks is that it happens more in the cooler months because of CAA, which coincides with shorter days.

2 hours ago, wxdude64 said:

This is an interesting post. It’s cloudy a lot here in winter especially. I often can look east and see clear skies but it will stay cloudy here all day. We aren’t on the western slopes though

11 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

42/30

HRRR brings precip into Frederick County, VA for a few hours overnight. I think we have a legit chance at a dusting at least. Forecast low overnight is 32 here. 

lets go. We need need to get someone on the scoreboard

• Like 3

1 hour ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

This is an interesting post. It’s cloudy a lot here in winter especially. I often can look east and see clear skies but it will stay cloudy here all day. We aren’t on the western slopes though

Spillover. I love looking at satellite pics in NW flow and seeing the clouds banked up against the mountains, then further east past the crest it is a broken pattern along the ridges. I am in a spot that NW flow gets 'eaten' by the 4500-4800 peaks around 'Shoe because it puts me in their shadow and flurries is all I'll get. BUT, if it is WNW then I'll get off and on snowshowers and usually a small accumulation as long as the flow is that way and the air and is cold enough. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, wxdude64 said:

Spillover. I love looking at satellite pics in NW flow and seeing the clouds banked up against the mountains, then further east past the crest it is a broken pattern along the ridges. I am in a spot that NW flow gets 'eaten' by the 4500-4800 peaks around 'Shoe because it puts me in their shadow and flurries is all I'll get. BUT, if it is WNW then I'll get off and on snowshowers and usually a small accumulation as long as the flow is that way and the air and is cold enough. 

The Allegheny tunnel on the Pa. Turnpike often witnesses sun on the east side and snow falling on the west side. Amazing.........................

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

I've experienced that.  As well as rain and fog and blue sky.

The first time I experienced this was way back in the 70"s, it was unbelievable, sun on the east side but a dark roll of clouds on top of the mountain. When we came out on the west side, it was pouring snow!

• Like 2

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic