Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Discobs 2023

George BM

6 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

If you've got the stats, when is the last time we had more <=32F days than 90+ days? 

According to the sites below, 2022 had 38 days of 90 and above at DCA, and 61 below 32.

https://www.extremeweatherwatch.com/cities/washington-dc/yearly-days-of-90-degrees

https://www.extremeweatherwatch.com/cities/washington-dc/yearly-days-below-32-degrees

9 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

If you've got the stats, when is the last time we had more <=32F days than 90+ days? 

Just now, nw baltimore wx said:

As much as it feels the opposite, we still get below freezing much more than we get above 90.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Last year, as others have said.  The last time we had the situation we see this year was 2020, which had 46 days of 90+ and 42 days of 32 or below.  2019 had 47 days of 32 or below and 62 90+ days (one of the highest on record).  

This year is remarkable though, with only 24 days with freezing temps (I don't think that includes today - so make it 25).  From what I can see that is the lowest on record for DCA, with the next closest being 28 days in 1969. We'll see if we break that record.

• Like 1

Merry Christmas, more mesonet sites are online! Our entire network runs on 5 min obs. Thank you @wxmeddler and everyone else on the team for all of their work. You can also view data on our website: https://mesonet.umd.edu/

PS, for any NOAA or Synoptic users, the IDs for each site are at the end of the URL below. If you want soil data, check out the link on the website above. More sites dropping in during 2024.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

12 hours ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Merry Christmas, more mesonet sites are online! Our entire network runs on 5 min obs. Thank you @wxmeddler and everyone else on the team for all of their work. You can also view data on our website: https://mesonet.umd.edu/

PS, for any NOAA or Synoptic users, the IDs for each site are at the end of the URL below. If you want soil data, check out the link on the website above. More sites dropping in during 2024.

surface only?

47 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Webb and the other east coast warminsta trolls will take their victory lap. Xmas torch!

Seems very typical in years past. I am sure he is celebrating. My Christmas day high temp has increased to 55 degrees, not too bad, however, still waiting on a white Christmas.  By Friday we get back to normal temps.    

2 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

Low of 27° this morning at mi casa. The neighborhood in a bowl across from me bottomed at 24°. Cool little microclimates around there on these calm, cold mornings. 

Low of 34 on the hill in Reisterstown, but our Clarksville mesonet site dipped to 26. The 12z RAOB from IAD indicates a bit of an inversion.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Departures for the month to date:

BWI: +2.9F

IAD: +3.2F

DCA: +1.9F

These will go up from here obviously through next Thursday or so. I’d guess another 1-2.5F in total? Then last few days of the year look BN. I’d guess we end around +4.5F?

Funny thing is this December feels colder than last Dec outside of that arctic shot. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Departures for the month to date:

BWI: +2.9F

IAD: +3.2F

DCA: +1.9F

These will go up from here obviously through next Thursday or so. I’d guess another 1-2.5F in total? Then last few days of the year look BN. I’d guess we end around +4.5F?

Warm Decembers just seem to be the norm anymore. Do you suppose it's the oceans taking so long to cool off? It seems like the seasons have shifted by a month. April is the new March, etc.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Terpeast said:

Funny thing is this December feels colder than last Dec outside of that arctic shot. 

The warmest departures from normal are coming in the next 6-7 days.  Would you feel differently if there were normal temperatures outside of a single 7-10 day stretch where we hit 70 and struggled to get below freezing at night, and finished +2 / +3?  Because it appears we are finishing a lot warmer than that.

2 hours ago, Eskimo Joe said:

If you mean surface observations, yes. These are surface stations. We don't have profiles like New York.

When you say "We don't have profiles like New York" does this mean that New York Meso station obs have vertical sampling?  And how do they achieve that? Balloons?  

Just curious.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic