Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Panic Room - Winter 23/24 Edition

mappy

9 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

Unless the hotline has some one willing to write prescriptions most of us need...then its useless....don't tell me it will be ok...just give me meds so I can fall asleep with my shoes on

I’ll reach out to the dispensary I use for my medical marijuana and see if they would like to advertise. 

1 hour ago, Eskimo Joe said:

We're kicking the can through 50% of winter. Shocker.

Yea, but that also means we're 50% closer "digitally" to spring training and March Madness.  I honestly only really consider winter here to be January and February.  Any snow outside of that timeline is a gift.

1 hour ago, 87storms said:

Yea, but that also means we're 50% closer "digitally" to spring training and March Madness.  I honestly only really consider winter here to be January and February.  Any snow outside of that timeline is a gift.

We’ve been chasing Dec 2009 since Dec 2009.  

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

These above normal snowfall predictions are in deep sh*t. We'll be lucky to get 50% of normal snowfall...another 1997/98 el nino.

Man did you just forget 2015/16? Smh 1986-87 BWI had a TRACE in December. 78-79 niño had zilch. So tell me again why the winter predictions are in trouble?

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, paulythegun said:

DC's snow drought started when the trump sons came to town and continued when hunter biden showed up. Is it possible that DC's snow is just being snorted away by presidential failsons?

if DC's snow was subject to the cocaine habits of the politicians (or their families) that pass through here, we'd never have any snow ever lol.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Bad news… sounds like winter is over again.

It'll be back on again within a couple model runs.

Edit: Posts over the last day in the Nino thread in the General section are uncancelling for our region. Just have to wait a little longer than we'd like.

• Haha 1

Being younger and without any real memories of an above average winter, 2015-2016 is pretty fuzzy in my mind, and grown up instead during our fun 7 year period, this is the norm for me. My goal for winter is just enough snow to coat the grass and make everything look pretty, which I've already gotten so this winter is a win no matter what happens in my book. I think some others here are in denial of what our climo has become, just hoping to get a nice winter before college. 

1 hour ago, Paleocene said:

going to maine for a week around christmas and its going to be 72 and palm trees. i'll be drinking mojitos with the lobsters

I'll be in Mexico from the 23rd to Jan 2.  I will literally have palm trees and 80s and drinking mojitos and margaritas.  That's when the blizzard will hit here at home.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

I'll be in Mexico from the 23rd to Jan 2.  I will literally have palm trees and 80s and drinking mojitos and margaritas.  That's when the blizzard will hit here at home.

That sounds delightful. Ironically, when I was last in Maine this time of year (visiting in-laws), we got that cold plastery 8 inches or whatever. January 2022.  It was dry and cold in ME.

4 hours ago, SnowenOutThere said:

Being younger and without any real memories of an above average winter, 2015-2016 is pretty fuzzy in my mind, and grown up instead during our fun 7 year period, this is the norm for me. My goal for winter is just enough snow to coat the grass and make everything look pretty, which I've already gotten so this winter is a win no matter what happens in my book. I think some others here are in denial of what our climo has become, just hoping to get a nice winter before college. 

I was in college at Towson U from 00-04. Winter of 02/03 was absolutely epic. They were using bulldozers to move the snow on the beltway after the Presidents’ Day storm. We had a legit layered snow pack that lasted deep into March. Real winters once existed in the mid Atlantic. 

• Like 1

Just one comment...as a long-time reader and life long resident of Carroll and Frederick counties...there is no rain shadow/downslope/orographic effect created by the Catoctin Mts; they're simply not high enough. Emmitsburg, Frederick and Thurmont receive less snow than Westminster/Manchester merely due to minor elevation changes. IF there was this sort of effect, Wolfsville would benefit from upslope in a similar fashion to DCL. 

1 hour ago, nmyers1204 said:

Just one comment...as a long-time reader and life long resident of Carroll and Frederick counties...there is no rain shadow/downslope/orographic effect created by the Catoctin Mts; they're simply not high enough. Emmitsburg, Frederick and Thurmont receive less snow than Westminster/Manchester merely due to minor elevation changes. IF there was this sort of effect, Wolfsville would benefit from upslope in a similar fashion to DCL. 

What? there absolutely is an effect. Hagerstown is at like 500ft ASL, the Catoctins then top out over 1800ft just to the East. Wolfsville is definitely not benefitting from upslope, but it's not because the terrain isn't high enough. It's because they're only at 1000ft ASL and 1.5 miles East of the highest terrain in the Catoctins. They're sitting in a shadow too. It's not as bad as what Thurmont faces but it's enough to be easily seen on a map (below).

MD VA topography.jpg

MD VA average precip PRISM 2016.jpg

• Like 2

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic