Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Mid/Long Range Discussion

WxUSAF

27 minutes ago, Daniel Boone said:

Yep. Whatever the cause, it's definitely got some strength. Bluewave may be onto something with his reasoning regarding the western Pac warmth. 

I brought this up in the main ENSO thread. That western pac and IO warm pool is theorized to be a permanent feature courtesy of warming. If so, and if a strong nino isn’t enough to offset, at least we know the party’s over. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Weenie 2

1 hour ago, Stormchaserchuck1 said:

Here's the 384hr prog though

https://ibb.co/wKX9Krm

It has some general accuracy

Of course, that could always become a big -NAO for January

Yeah. I like the look of the ridging poking up into Greenland. The part that concerns me is not seeing lower heights over the Aleutians. I hope we start seeing that show up again in the long range. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I brought this up in the main ENSO thread. That western pac and IO warm pool is theorized to be a permanent feature courtesy of warming. If so, and if a strong nino isn’t enough to offset, at least we know the party’s over. 

i highly doubt it. Strong El Niños often feature a trough in the SW US anyway

a ridge over the E US is to be expected. it’s nice to see the persistent -AO/NAO though. that bodes well

IMG_3616.png.be5a7e3a19849cc0185cfe8b15e22037.png

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

a ridge over the E US is to be expected. it’s nice to see the persistent -AO/NAO though. that bodes well

Yeah, but that's the canonical Nino eastern CONUS Nino torch, with the big low off the waters near AK.  What's being progged is the canonical strong Nina Pacific Warm Blob which has haunted us for the past several years.  They both fail for us, but for different reasons.  PSUs point is that if the Nina-esque forcing starts shunting aside the Nino forcing, we're not just in for a bad December.

• Like 3
  • Weenie 1

That said, I do distinctly remember a period just after New Years last winter where a big GOA low set up for a week or so and everybody was commenting on how Nino-like it looked.  But after a week or so it was gone and we went back to the Nina-fail.

Maybe this is just the payback for that escapade.  

9 minutes ago, cbmclean said:

Yeah, but that's the canonical Nino eastern CONUS Nino torch, with the big low off the waters near AK.  What's being progged is the canonical strong Nina Pacific Warm Blob which has haunted us for the past several years.  They both fail for us, but for different reasons.  PSUs point is that if the Nina-esque forcing starts shunting aside the Nino forcing, we're not just in for a bad December.

there is a transient period of MC forcing as the MJO circles back around to 7-8-1. i wouldn’t worry about it too much

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Kevin Reilly said:

Our new normal.

Like clockwork.

However,  I  believe phase 7 is the warmest MJO phase. Just need to move forward, which appears we will.   

Even though the modeling has trended warmer sensing the changes in the Pac, along with a more negative PNA versus neutral, is that the AO continues to be forecasted very negative, and remaining so for the medium term, rather unusual, but bodes well for us very late month and in Jan. and Feb.        

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, frd said:

Like clockwork.

However,  I  believe phase 7 is the warmest MJO phase. Just need to move forward, which appears we will.   

Even though the modeling has trended warmer sensing the changes in the Pac, along with a more negative PNA versus neutral, is that the AO continues to be forecasted very negative, and remaining so for the medium term, rather unusual, but bodes well for us very late month and in Jan. and Feb.        

MJO phase 7 is cold when centered on December.

IMG_3468.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, brooklynwx99 said:

There are significant differences in the central pacific from that composite. I’m not backing down from my winter prediction. We have Ninaesque forcing right now. I highly doubt that persists all winter. My comment wasn’t a prediction. But…if we do end up with Nina forcing for the majority of the winter despite a strong nino because of what is likely a somewhat permanent artifact of warming…well that would be up there with stealing Jobu’s rum…in the words of Perdro Cerrano “very very bad”. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Weenie 1

3 hours ago, Weather Will said:

WB latest 12Z GEFS Day 11-16.

IMG_2156.png

Roll that forward and there will be an Aleutian trough as the TPV shifts west, a neutral/+PNA as the NE Pac ridge pushes east and amplifies underneath, and the SW trough progresses across the south/central US towards the east coast. Plus we have a developing NA block. I could be wrong, but that makes some sense in a Nino with the expected shift in tropical forcing going forward. The extended tools pretty much agree, and that's the best available guidance we have based on the end of the ens runs that everyone seems so convinced has the right idea wrt the 'crappy' look.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pazzo83 said:

lmao does this moron know how hard it is to get NYC to 0?  it's happened ONCE since 1994 and that (in 2016) was a fluke cold spell.

JAN 1994 was chilly  in NYC with 3 lows  of  zero or  colder

Maybe this  is the  beginning  of the  pattern change. We are  not at the  beginning  of the end  but the end  of the  beginning

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_61.png

First time the  cold  has  dug  in with a storm

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_62.png

gfs_asnow_us_65.png

• Like 6

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic