Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2023

brooklynwx99

47 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Queens near Douglaston/Bayside is also a lot colder pretty often vs the more built up areas and averages more snow. If there’s any place in the city I’d want to live for a slightly better shot at more wintry precip it’d be there, or northern Bronx.

Riverdale, up along van Cortland park, is defined the coldest snowiest area of the city. It’s basically a different climate zone. Lots of open space (van cortland park is huge) and some hilly elevation, basically an extension of southern westchester. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Riverdale, up along van Cortland park, is defined the coldest snowiest area of the city. It’s basically a different climate zone. Lots of open space (van cortland park is huge) and some hilly elevation, basically an extension of southern westchester. 

There used to be a ski area with rope tow in the park. 

20 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Why did he weenie me? It's a legit trend on digging the vort further south and closing off.

Literally who who cares about an emoji. I swear my 5 year old son is more mature than half the people in here. And complains way less too. People here cry over the difference of 36 vs 31 degrees. It’s become a place to just come vent frustration. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Weenie 1

I like seeing these strong hp to our north and the trough underneath us. Also n/s short waves sliding down the ridge in Central Canada will give us chances until that ridge moves west. Should be cold enough for frozen if they slide under us. So while this December will be solidly above normal I think we should have some opportunities for snow 

For reference, as the topic has arisen, below are the five December cases where measurable snow fell in New York City following a 60° or above high temperature:

December 15, 1881: 1.3" (prior day's high: 67°)

December 14, 1923: 1.2" (prior day's high: 64°)

December 9, 1956: 0.5" (prior day's high: 61°)

December 23, 1967: 1.2" (prior day's high: 62°)

December 16, 2008: 1.0" (prior day's high: 67°)

Overall, there have been 41 such cases in NYC's climate record (1869-present). January: 3; February: 5; March: 16; April: 4; October: 2; November: 6; December: 5

Biggest: 9.4", February 9, 2017 (prior day's high: 62°)

Such events are very uncommon. It's premature to reach any conclusions about next week other than noting that a few model solutions including the 0z ECMWF bring some measurable snow to the City.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

For reference, as the topic has arisen, below are the five December cases where measurable snow fell in New York City following a 60° or above high temperature:

December 15, 1881: 1.3" (prior day's high: 67°)

December 14, 1923: 1.2" (prior day's high: 64°)

December 9, 1956: 0.5" (prior day's high: 61°)

December 23, 1967: 1.2" (prior day's high: 62°)

December 16, 2008: 1.0" (prior day's high: 67°)

Overall, there have been 41 such cases in NYC's climate record (1869-present). January: 3; February: 5; March: 16; April: 4; October: 2; November: 6; December: 5

Biggest: 9.4", February 9, 2017 (prior day's high: 62°)

Such events are very uncommon. It's premature to reach any conclusions about next week other than noting that a few model solutions including the 0z ECMWF bring some measurable snow to the City.

Thanks as always Don.  

While the general point being made here and elsewhere about the rarity of snowfall immediately following a 60 degree December day makes sense, I was struck in a different way by this data:  I was surprised to see that there's such a population of 60 degree December days going back to the late 1880s that we actually have a subset of five such days followed by snow to even talk about.  Prior to the crazy run of 60 degree days popping up in mid December for most of the past 12-15 years, I'd only remembered one such warm day in the 80s, and always assumed 60 degrees in December to be exceedingly rare prior to that point, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, coastalplainsnowman said:

Thanks as always Don.  

While the general point being made here and elsewhere about the rarity of snowfall immediately following a 60 degree December day makes sense, I was struck in a different way by this data:  I was surprised to see that there's such a population of 60 degree December days going back to the late 1880s that we actually have a subset of five such days followed by snow to even talk about.  Prior to the crazy run of 60 degree days popping up in mid December for most of the past 12-15 years, I'd only remembered one such warm day in the 80s, and always assumed 60 degrees in December to be exceedingly rare prior to that point, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Actually I seem to recall numerous 60 degree days followed by snow.  However, in those cases, there was cold air behind the warm air to pull down for saccumulating snow to occur.  Gotta love the "sun angle" though...

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, coastalplainsnowman said:

Thanks as always Don.  

Years that have temps in the 60's in December in the 80's..1980 2 days,1982 3 days over 70, 1984 2 days one of them 75, 1988 1 day

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1