Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2023

40/70 Benchmark

17 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Just was reading  kids Christmas book. All talking about snow. Triggering.

It’s all I can think about. Xmas songs where they’re all just ripping S+ . Meanwhile we’ve just completed one 4” rainer in 18 hours, gearing up for another yet this one even more cruel with a wound up nor’easter that drops rains to the slopes of Quebec 

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

It’s all I can think about. Xmas songs where they’re all just ripping S+ . Meanwhile we’ve just completed one 4” rainer in 18 hours, gearing up for another yet this one even more cruel with a wound up nor’easter that drops rains to the slopes of Quebec 

hopefully the next rainer/winder misses?  it's all we got, so hopefully it winds up deep and cuts way west

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Chestnuts roasting under the December Sun, Pacific Jet ripping out your soul. 

• Haha 7

3 hours ago, Chrisrotary12 said:

Wolfie?

I’ll take that as a huge compliment….the guy makes perfect sense. And he’s completely right.  

While we have utter clowns and buffoons literally saying nothing changes, and we punt until late January.  I mean these folks are completely senseless.   

And take a good look at Wills post, and how many folks “Liked” it(there were many), and you’ll see that the senseless folks aren’t in there liking a great post. But they like the buffoonery posts constantly.  They know who they are. And that’s all you need to know. 

Thank you Will for putting it in perspective.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Weenie 3

31 minutes ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

Chestnuts roasting under the December Sun, Pacific Jet ripping out your soul. 

Everybody knows, some clown maps and some upslope snow

Help to make, torches alright

Tiny weenies, with their eyes on MJO

Will find it hard to find some white

• Haha 11

2 hours ago, FXWX said:

Folks forget or choose not to remember the El Nino discussions during the early fall that strongly suggested December would likely run the risk of a being an above normal month with thread the needle events for any shot at meaningful snow threats.  In a lot of ways this December is playing out pretty much according to classic past El Nino years... 

The same long-range outlooks the pointed out the risk of a warmer than normal December, also pointed toward the pattern improving once into or just beyond the Xmas holiday week.  I am in that camp even if the shift to a more favorable setup waits until early January.   This December pattern is nothing like last December and the global pattern is very different.  I do not expect the pattern to flip into an unusually cold regime once into early January and I don't think one is needed to see significant Northeast snows.   As we all know, pattern transitions are commonly a bit later the originally thought so no one should be surprised if the more favorable pattern waits a week or more later than originally projected.

I don't think anyone is talking about a Jan 2015 type of flip, but I expect the large-scale NA pattern will grow more favorable for significant storm action moving into January, even if the regional temperature pattern is close to normal or a bit above normal.  The pattern laid out by 40/70 is a very realistic path forward and one that fits where I think the long-range modeling seems likely to go:  In short, more western ridging, an active Pacific jet under-cutting Western ridging and enough high latitude blocking to allow seasonably cold air masses to visit on a regular basis...

Yep.

Great post....nothing has changed...I was a bit spooked at the start of the month that I may have been a touch too mild, but it may be the other way....change maybe a bit late, but nothing is canceled. 

• Like 1

Nino pattern starts kicking in by early January. 

Seeing heights lower across this region as subtropical jet powers up. 

MJO does eventually make it to phase 8 too after Christmas. I think mid Jan to mid Feb could be decent. 

Pattern is a lot different than last year. It's similar to 2015 with a more muted December torch. I like 82-83 too.

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

7 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

Nino pattern starts kicking in by early January. 

Seeing heights lower across this region as subtropical jet powers up. 

MJO does eventually make it to phase 8 too after Christmas. I think mid Jan to mid Feb could be decent. 

Pattern is a lot different than last year. It's similar to 2015 with a more muted December torch. I like 82-83 too.

Agreed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

2 hours ago, dendrite said:

Everybody knows, some clown maps and some upslope snow

Help to make, torches alright

Tiny weenies, with their eyes on MJO

Will find it hard to find some white

They know the Grinch is on his way 

He’s bringing Phil and hydro issues on his sleigh 

And every weenie’s child is going to cry

When dad is broken and leaves, no goodbye

• Haha 6

10 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

:raining:

Storms with origins that far south are usually warm especially with no antecedent cold air mass. I mean it’s already sub 980 by Myrtle beaches latitude. Looks tropical.  We got our wish and saw what happens when the northern stream phases still not cold enough, so ya looks like the only chance would be a triple phaser with that polar jet.  Onto the next one Christmas week… 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Good read. He still sees a transition to colder weather around Christmas and moving forward. I like the optimism that he feels. It's definitely going to be different from last year as a lot of people have been saying. Patience is key