Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Yesvember or November?

Go Kart Mozart

2 minutes ago, Layman said:

Would someone be so kind to enlighten me as to what "R-wave" refers to?

I tried looking it up but didn't see anything really relating to weather aside from a post referencing graphing temps as a sine wave.  

Rossby Waves. Think of them as mid to upper level ridges and troughs. This has a nice animation.  https://oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/rossby-wave.html

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Sure. I don’t get too excited either way beyond 2-3 weeks. I just don’t do the whole “feel” thing. Last Novie flipped to below normal toward mid month as well. 

31 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I agree that each winter tends to have an overall vibe to it. 11/8 just seems a little early for me to gauge that.

Agree 100% with both if these. 

• Weenie 1

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

GFS op and Euro op are very different here around day 10. Euro is quite mild while GFS drops another big cold front.

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

GFS op and Euro op are very different here around day 10. Euro is quite mild while GFS drops another big cold front.

Flip a coin or lean to ensembles.  They seem to split the difference so above normal but not extreme nor long lasting.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Flip a coin or lean to ensembles.  They seem to split the difference so above normal but not extreme nor long lasting.

The ensembles have a milder period, but not really atypical for November IMO. End of EPS was intriguing with EPO ridge into Canada and SW US troughing. Would need to wait several days after I think for anything exciting.

1 hour ago, WinterWolf said:

And so is saying December will end up a torch on November 7th… 

I absolutely agree. Doesn't anyone remember last year about the same time? There are many calling for a December to remember as far as snowfall goes. And a lot of people were on board. Well, we all know, it was completely opposite. So, to be saying that's going to be a torch December now is laughable. But I feel like this is a conversation that's repeated often. Anything can happen, anything can change, and it will change, especially a month out. Anyone who feels otherwise, good luck with the disappointment ( and if you're right, consider yourself very lucky ). 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HimoorWx said:

We have one or two oaks that are still mostly green. Usually a lot of leaves still on the trees by the time of the last town pickup in early December. 2a6535c48068f3b181411609f506e5d8.jpg

Sent from my SM-A546U using Tapatalk

The big oak 50 yards from the house is down to about 20% leafed.  The pin oaks planted in Farmington (they're not native to Maine) still have perhaps 3/4 of their leaves.  Usually, those trees have the brightest fall color of any oak, with a deep scarlet, but this year they were a mousey yellow with only a sprig here and there showing any red.

Wind is backing down, but this morning it was fierce - dumped a large dead ash on our road (and fortunately it broke apart for easy removal) and not only blew around the traffic cones where some roadwork was being done in New Sharon but also tipped over some of the 4-foot-square caution signs.  The 38 when I reset the max-min last evening will hold as the day's high.

3 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

The amount of trees hovering over your house makes me cringe. Cutemdown!

But look around

Here go the sound of the chain saw

Boom and Pound

When I cut 'em down

I cut 'em down

(cut, cut, cut, cut cut 'em down)

I cut 'em down

(cut, cut, cut, cut cut 'em down)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

PWS hit 38F here and now 28F.

Next Monday night/Tuesday might be a good appetizer for winter in the upslope spots in NNE. 

Im expecting currier and Ives photos…hopefully Stowe hasn’t turned on the pavement melters yet. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Next Monday night/Tuesday might be a good appetizer for winter in the upslope spots in NNE. 

Im expecting currier and Ives photos…hopefully Stowe hasn’t turned on the pavement melters yet. 

Yeah there’s been an upslope signal bouncing around out there day 5-8 off and on recently.  GFS likes it.

Pavers aren’t on yet but probably go on the 17th if the place opens. In a world run by lawyers, god forbid someone slips and falls somewhere they are visiting almost solely for the winter weather. Gotta love the irony. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1