Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Octorcher or Roctober 2023 Discussion Thread

Damage In Tolland

25 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I’m starting to wonder if MVL is warm.  Came in at 29F but every single PWS bottomed out 25-28F around here.

This was 3:13am and MVL was 34F at the RT 100 marker. Only spot above freezing.

BCA52DF8-2B81-454F-9ED6-504F084BA619.jpeg.84fd2f92dcff3d8a62997f4477e4779a.jpeg

Looks okay for now although it’s a little on the warmer end of the baseline recently so I’d keep an eye on it over the next couple of months. 
image.png

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, cardinalland said:

Do you have a chart like this for HVN? I've been suspecting it's a little high for a while.

Looks pretty questionable the past few years...but might not be enough for them to flag it like ORH....if it stays within 2F of their calibration tools, they don't change it....an unnerving fact we all found out last year when discussing KORH.

MADIS_KHVN.png

5 minutes ago, kdxken said:

Chilly too. Chopped up some rounds to warm up. Beautiful day.

https://youtu.be/zfZh3XxfNv4?si=PqvUbVUJGfjQBMtN

Firewood - definitely warms you more than just once!

Those Fiskars splitting axes are great.  Made such a big difference over my splitting mauls when I made the switch.  I've since migrated to hydraulic power :D but it's still gets use for the fire pit and for slimming down some of the bigger splits.   

• Like 2

Looks pretty questionable the past few years...but might not be enough for them to flag it like ORH....if it stays within 2F of their calibration tools, they don't change it....an unnerving fact we all found out last year when discussing KORH.

MADIS_KHVN.png.61200a1ded39bc71460cdcf12803522f.png
Out of curiosity, does this mean it is too high or too low? OP was saying he thought it was too high, but I would interpet negative errors as too low?

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

14 minutes ago, Layman said:

Those Fiskars splitting axes are great.  Made such a big difference over my splitting mauls when I made the switch.  I've since migrated to hydraulic power :D but it's still gets use for the fire pit and for slimming down some of the bigger splits.   

Totally agree. Splitting mauls are a waste of energy.

7 minutes ago, drstuess said:

Out of curiosity, does this mean it is too high or too low? OP was saying he thought it was too high, but I would interpet negative errors as too low?

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Negative error means it's running warmer than the analysis temp.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, kdxken said:

Totally agree. Splitting mauls are a waste of energy.

Maybe, if one wants to split the whole pile in one day.  I've split my wood with a maul since we moved into our first house in 1977, in Fort Kent.  Most times I'd swing for 30 minutes then do something else for a while.
After 4 sunny days to start the month, we've had none since.  Can today end the CL/PC run?  (I expect some Cu this afternoon, but it's been solidly blue so far.)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

I never understood that reasoning….so something is negative(which inherently means lower/less than), but in this case it means it’s running warmer/higher than…? it defies common logic. :axe:

Not if you read and understand it. The error is comparing the analysis temp to the reported temp. So when the error is positive, the analysis temp is higher than the reported temp…therefore the sensor is reading cooler than expected.

It wouldn’t be correct to judge a sensor’s error based on these analyses because it compares the data to stations around it. Microclimates can affect these. A place like BOS, on the coast, will see higher than usual “error” with east flow in the spring and fall because of possible significant differences between the coast and places 10 miles inland. 

UHIs, elevation differences, geographical differences, siting differences, etc all have an effect. What we look for are significant step changes (jumps) in the error over a short amount of time to indicate something changed with the station’s siting or instrumentation. New stations coming online can affect the analysis generated temps as well, but it doesn’t usually acount for significant shifts in the error. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Maybe, if one wants to split the whole pile in one day.  I've split my wood with a maul since we moved into our first house in 1977, in Fort Kent.  Most times I'd swing for 30 minutes then do something else for a while.
After 4 sunny days to start the month, we've had none since.  Can today end the CL/PC run?  (I expect some Cu this afternoon, but it's been solidly blue so far.)

If you haven't tried one of the Fiskars axes, I certainly recommend giving one a go.  In fact, I bought 2 for family members years ago after I got mine because I was so impressed.  I found when splitting by hand the maul and/or wedge still has place when you're up against a big twisted round.  Anything else that's accepting of being split cleanly dices up so quickly like in @kdxken's video. It's still a good workout but what a joy it was blasting through rounds rather than attacking them from all angles.  

This is the first year in the past 12-15 I haven't split anything, whether by hand or splitter.  Bought 3 cord of green early last year and will be burning that this season.  Nothing takes the cool edge off like a good hardwood fire!

Up to 48.0 in direct sunlight here at noon.  

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Layman said:

I got a Fiskars too, I like all their tools, I have an electric splitter, as 12 ton gas and a friend nearby with a 22 ton. Haven't lit the stove yet although I should have last night, house was cold this morning.