Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Octorcher or Roctober 2023 Discussion Thread

Damage In Tolland

5 minutes ago, bwt3650 said:

Where exactly do you see solidly above normal? Or just making that up?

308fe14fb5659e92c2584fa7a40b2ad9.jpg
4cd09bd2ce30c5fcf64743887294555d.jpg
e8a6b49d0cf6962229810336138f5b66.jpg

We could sneak in some above normal days between 11/3-11/5 but I agree the average of the first 10 days of November will def be below normal. 

• Like 2

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

We could sneak in some above normal days between 11/3-11/5 but I agree the average of the first 10 days of November will def be below normal. 

Clearly, he was just making that up because nothing showed "solidly above normal"  let alone normal to start the month.

Averages falling quickly this time of year too, so I kinda like the moderately below normal to start, and as long as we don't torch, deal with slightly above normal to end the month.  Nice active pattern too.  Your concerns post 11/15 give me pause tho.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

There is nothing more triggering than a nice mow and cleanup and then you awake to a massive carpet of leaves. Like you wasted 7 hours the day before. Makes me very violent.

I don't understand the leaf thing.   I don't rake. Never have.  My lawn is beautiful. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, bwt3650 said:

Clearly, he was just making that up because nothing showed "solidly above normal"  let alone normal to start the month.

Averages falling quickly this time of year too, so I kinda like the moderately below normal to start, and as long as we don't torch, deal with slightly above normal to end the month.  Nice active pattern too.  Your concerns post 11/15 give me pause tho.  

I’m hoping we get some sort of mitigating factor to keep it somewhat cold for late November….because the first half looks really good for ski areas trying to ramp up snow making. 

But it’s fairly common to have a warmer late November and December in El Niños. But it’s not a hard and fast rule. If we can pop some Atlantic blocking, then something like that would help offset other warmer influences. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah given how warm the fall has been I’m surprised how much has fallen. Maples are pretty much done as well as other species. I’m probably a few days behind you.

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

And with no frosts or freezes . I think that fungus and wet summer probably affected just about all species to some degree. 

Leaf drop is also somewhat based on available sunlight/length of day.

12 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

44.3 and rain after 80’s yesterday. This was almost a Denver kind of flip NE had 

I was thinking about this last night while moaning on the couch recovering from this stupid idea I had to run out and get the Covid booster shot of Friday ... that a typical autumn correction is 20 F (high/lows)   ?    

I mean there is probable normal correction.  If it is 70F for a high, it'll be 50 for high as the set-in. Correction is really about bringing back to normal in that sense.  Then it may correct again, taking it below... 

I think as we refer to that as "staged cool down" ... but that's really what that is in practice.  

This one does seem to be about double the magnitude.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I was thinking about this last night while moaning on the couch recovering from this stupid idea I had to run out and get the Covid booster shot of Friday ... that a typical autumn correction is 20 F (high/lows)   ?    

I mean there is probable normal correction.  If it is 70F for a high, it'll be 50 for high as the set-in. Correction is really about bringing back to normal in that sense.  Then it may correct again, taking it below... 

I think as we refer to that as "staged cool down" ... but that's really what that is in practice.  

This one does seem to be about double the magnitude.

Being saturated on the cold side versus sunny and mixed on the warm side helps too. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Being saturated on the cold side versus sunny and mixed on the warm side helps too. 

It does ...  but, synoptically we're draping "blue" hydrostats and gradient look like it's a page out of 1995 autumn, after 3 days of near 80? 

It's fairly some of both aspects.

Folks should like the 00z GFS's Nov 8 thru 11th.  Nice polar high takes three days to decay east, and we have this long easterly fetch anomaly pumping in "smells like snow cold rain" for eastern regions and days of snow west.

24 minutes ago, bwt3650 said:

Snowing at pf land on the Stowe webcams…I’m going to guess he’s out making snow angels so he didn’t have time to post this.

https://www.stowe.com/the-mountain/mountain-conditions/mountain-cams.aspx

Headed out with the dog now for a lap to the picnic tables and back before settling in for some football.  How Sunday’s should be this time of year haha.

• Like 4