• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
October 2023

wdrag

The next 8 days are averaging   58degs.(52/64) or +2.

Month to date is  62.4[+1.6].      Should be  60.9[+1.7] by the 24th.

Reached 62 yesterday at 4pm.

Today:  59-62, wind nw., increasing clouds, 50 tomorrow AM.

48*(78%RH) here at 7am.    52* at 9am.     54* at 10am.    57* at Noon.   64* at 3pm.     65* at 3:30pm.     67* at 4pm.    64* at 5pm.

9 hours ago, Wannabehippie said:

I buy the Old Farmer's Almanac yearly. Mainly for the articles on gardening, etc. Some really interesting stuff in there. I treat the weather prediction part as entertainment. Fun to see how wrong they are, then follow up the following year when they claim an "80% accuracy".

I'm sure they stagger precipitation events based on climatological statistics.  In winter for the greater NYC area, they can say, "Rain or Snow along th coast, and snow likely inland and in the higher terrain.  

10 hours ago, Wannabehippie said:

I buy the Old Farmer's Almanac yearly. Mainly for the articles on gardening, etc. Some really interesting stuff in there. I treat the weather prediction part as entertainment. Fun to see how wrong they are, then follow up the following year when they claim an "80% accuracy".

No one would buy it if it said "warm and snowless"   They are the JB of weather LOL

1 hour ago, Brian5671 said:

No one would buy it if it said "warm and snowless"   They are the JB of weather LOL

40 minutes ago, forkyfork said:

i would buy it and frame the pages

Good morning everyone. Well at least, now, we know what it will take to get a combined back and front loaded productive winter. Stay well all, as always …..

41 minutes ago, forkyfork said:

oops

eps_z500a_namer_59.png

eps_z500a_namer_45.png

You can see how far off the 348 hour "forecast" was.  I guess 2 weeks is asking a bit much.  Of course 11 day prog hasn't confirmed yet, either.  Doubtful if we ever get to that type of accuracy.  Anybody guessing if the model needs more information, less information, or the right information?

• Like 3

Unseasonably cool conditions will persist through at least the middle of the week. Afterward, readings could reach near normal to somewhat above normal levels. A strong cold front could bring periods of rain during the weekend.

The ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly was +2.3°C and the Region 3.4 anomaly was +1.5°C for the week centered around October 11. For the past six weeks, the ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly has averaged +2.67°C and the ENSO Region 3.4 anomaly has averaged +1.57°C. El Niño conditions will likely continue to strengthen into the fall with the current East-based event transitioning to a basinwide El Niño for the upcoming winter.

The SOI was not available today.

The preliminary Arctic Oscillation (AO) was -1.941 today.

Based on sensitivity analysis applied to the latest guidance, there is an implied 58% probability that New York City will have a warmer than normal October (1991-2020 normal). October will likely finish with a mean temperature near 58.5° (0.6° above normal).

On October 12 the MJO was in Phase 8 at an amplitude of 0.295 (RMM). The October 11-adjusted amplitude was 0.298 (RMM).

• Thanks 1

The next 8 days are averaging  58degs.(52/63) or +2.

Month to date is   62.0[+1.4].      Should be   60.6[+1.6] by the 25th.

Reached 68 at 4pm yesterday.

Today:  61-65, wind n., p. cloudy, 52 tomorrow AM.

53*(81%RH) here at 7am.     60* at Noon.      Reached 66* at 5pm.      60* at 7pm.