• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Lee--Glorified Nor'Easter or Legit Tropical? Near Miss or Direct Hit?

WxWatcher007

She saw limited minutes. The team and USA soccer has bigger issues, especially regarding a lack of strong talent development at the younger ages. Kind of like Lee in that it was once king of the hill, but never regained its strength. Men’s team can’t get above “depression” stage…

• Like 3

Not up to speed on what/if any other's have commented on but Lee looks very extra-tropical on Sat already...

In fact, I commented on the busted open core last night - I'm will to suspect that the conversion had already begun as of latter yesterday (speculation pending phase analysis - )

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

8 AM advisory indicated hurricane force winds extended outwards of up to 105 miles from the center and TS force winds 310 miles. Be curious to see if there is any additional expansion although it's probably likely there will be some. This is a damn impressive field. 

How's the bufkit looking for PWM?:weenie:

55 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

8 AM advisory indicated hurricane force winds extended outwards of up to 105 miles from the center and TS force winds 310 miles. Be curious to see if there is any additional expansion although it's probably likely there will be some. This is a damn impressive field. 

The problem with how that is stated in this and all advisories for that matter, is that there is a tendency by some folks to think that means TS winds will occur 310 miles inland when in reality that only implies over the open ocean.  Once the landmass interaction occurs that number collapses.  I know you fully understand this but I saw someone, non-met, talking about how the wind radii would bring the winds to Albany NY based on the advisory info. The majority of folks know better, but it does crack me up somebody actually uses the wind radii and extend it west or northward over the landmass.  It is interesting to see gradient already doing it's dirty work...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

7 minutes ago, FXWX said:

The problem with how that is stated in this and all advisories for that matter, is that there is a tendency by some folks to think that means TS winds will occur 310 miles inland when in reality that only implies over the open ocean.  Once the landmass interaction occurs that number collapses.  I know you fully understand this but I saw someone, non-met, talking about how the wind radii would bring the winds to Albany NY based on the advisory info. The majority of folks know better, but it does crack me up somebody actually uses the wind radii and extend it west or northward over the landmass.  It is interesting to see gradient already doing it's dirty work...

Yes, excellent point and glad you mentioned this because that is extremely important to understand. 

1 hour ago, FXWX said:

Non-meteorologist here (1st post as well...):  is there a formula or other standard to define or predict the reduction in wind speed upon encountering land?

For example, if there are sustained 60mph winds at the coastline, are there high-confidence ways to predict/forecast winds 1 mile, 2 miles, 5 and 10 miles inland?

Where I'm physically situated, and from comments I've seen over the years from others, it seems that forecast gusts rarely reach the speeds predicted in the weather apps.