• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Lee--Glorified Nor'Easter or Legit Tropical? Near Miss or Direct Hit?

WxWatcher007

37 minutes ago, FXWX said:

We grew up in New Britain as well.  My father described the roofs of 2 and 3 family houses lift off like and pinwheel to the ground like a Frisbee.  In Norfolk, CT at a small historic site there are before and after pictures of the hill sides... almost every oal tree looks like they were just mowed down.  In fact, most of the tall oaks across the interior of the state are post 1938...

I’m sure you have read it, but A Wind to Shake the World has some great accounts

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I’m sure you have read it, but A Wind to Shake the World has some great accounts

I have... I found tremendous old pictorial book of the 38 damage many years ago in a book store in Watch Hill.  It's broken into sections by county and there is at least one picture from every town within each county... 

• Like 2

NEXT...
So close but no cigar.
A stiff breeze 20-30mph sustained along coastal areas, some gusts to >50.
A little rain, the bands have already detached, moving well to the N and E.
Unfortunately no investment dividend. 10D tracking with only 6-8hrs of blah.
Wave action, good photo op will probably be the only redeeming aspect.   

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

It’ll be lower intensity wise than expected by the time it gets to our latitude, and lower still by the time it gets to Down East Maine and N.S. Imo.   She’s falling apart fast. 

It won’t be. This is how these systems look. It will keep intensity through baroclinic processes. Basically same processes that we have in nor’easters.

• Like 2

Quick thoughts appreciated for more a mundane matter, now that it appears this is not a life or death storm for New England:

My wife has an all-weekend vendor event on the north RI/MA border tomorrow, and they are apparently not going to postpone Saturday (the flyer says "rain or shine").  However, we've had multiple canopy tents destroyed from wind in the past and don't feel like taking another $120-150 hit from destroying another.  The forecast for the area of the event says NW wind 20-30mph.  A constant 20mph wind is probably ok and towards the upper limit of what we'd deal with.  How likely is it for gusts 30+ mph in interior RI/MA?  The storm is weakening but I'm always concerned with the "expanding wind field" these transitioning storms tend to bring.

TIA.

• Like 1

Just now, Warwick WX said:

Quick thoughts appreciated for more a mundane matter, now that it appears this is not a life or death storm for New England:

My wife has an all-weekend vendor event on the north RI/MA border tomorrow, and they are apparently not going to postpone Saturday (the flyer says "rain or shine").  However, we've had multiple canopy tents destroyed from wind in the past and don't feel like taking another $120-150 hit from destroying another.  The forecast for the area of the event says NW wind 20-30mph.  A constant 20mph wind is probably ok and towards the upper limit of what we'd deal with.  How likely is it for gusts 30+ mph in interior RI/MA?  The storm is weakening but I'm always concerned with the "expanding wind field" these transitioning storms tend to bring.

TIA.

I think gusts over 30 are likely tomorrow. 

• Like 1

I feel like my thoughts from last week were essentially on target....no changes.

Hurricane Lee Minimal Threat to US

High Surf Primary Impact

Currently Hurricane Lee is a minimal category 1 hurricane over the central Atlantic with maximum sustained winds near 80MPH
AVvXsEjojK6UMRQzWd2iHFhe89DzK0A7odS6Oj51

However, guidance continues to emphatically suggest that the system will soon undergo rapid intensification into at least a category 4 storm.

AVvXsEhh2oLnslHWM96MQd9HvcL6QvZ7ci-vodTI

Thus the most important consideration is whether or not this system is likely to have a major impact on the US and the answer is no.

Future Path & Intensity of Lee Spell Minimal Threat to US

While there is still a great deal of uncertainty among guidance concerning the precise track of Lee over the next several days, one aspect that guidance is essentially in unanimous agreement on is that the system will begin to recurve to the north by approximately 70 degrees longitude, as a weakness develops the ridge downstream from the hurricane.

AVvXsEg3KyKFO7wfEpvm7QLbYiEeD9ke29bZwXaj

This is a crucial portion of the forecast because climatology can often be used as a guide when computer models are at the periphery of their more skilled range, which is the case here. In this case, it is evident that hurricanes that go onto greatly impact the NE US at least approach about 75 degrees on longitude before veering towards the north.

AVvXsEjonqY5oy2qlsqUveuXUIufRJ6mu7G7OyCH

But clearly guidance is in strong agreement that that will not be the case with Lee.

AVvXsEjs_TSd9x7gjoKtFpAPkJciChCKCuYHnBDu

Although agreement is strong, there was one lone voice of dissent amongst the European ensemble suite that would pose a particularly dire threat to the state of Florida.

AVvXsEhdiUyAKbvyLDIx825hV-fjuBPxsFqy3y4r

But this scenario is an extreme outlier considering that 51/52 European members turn Lee to the north and every one of the GFS ensemble members do.
Thus confidence in the above scenario is well above average relative to the extended lead time and thus a major impact to the NE can essentially be ruled out since the hurricane will begin its recurve so far to the east. 

AVvXsEj7x9cQltJ583pQVCQk0sMn2MSNfL8azmCd

But essentially is not synonymous with entirely. Like that lone voice of dissent among the European cluster that loomed ominously for Florida, there are two outlier GFS ensemble members that draw Lee into the trough and track the system over Cape Cod on approximately September 18.

AVvXsEjfAYVrYC64t8yQqG4DVL38Y8uXK9ZZpyE9 

Although this is an exceedingly unlikely scenario, which is illustrated by climatology,  it is a theoretically plausible scenario.

AVvXsEg3KB0TWzu2wxCdRmFZIlq1sJG5ruLzkKd6

But Lee would first have to traverse waters that have been significantly cooled due to the upwelling caused by Hurricane Frederick and Hurricane Idalia, thus whether or not Lee would impact the Cape as a hurricane is very dubious.

AVvXsEj1lIwVCylgqqvgg5-dY0EzY0V6pEN4Ng5Q

In fact it is more likely than not that it would have been downgraded to a tropical storm by this point, which coupled with the asymmetrical wind distribution that is characteristic of tropical storms interacting with mid latitude systems, would mean sensible impact commensurate with a typical winter nor 'easter rather than a major hurricane strike.

Remain vigilant, but unalarmed and any updates will be issued later this week if warranted-

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, HimoorWx said:

Started getting quite breezy overnight out in Eastham. Probably 20 with gusts to 30. House across from the cottage we rent has a big f***ing wind chime in the yard. Wanted to go rip it down during the night.

Sent from my SM-A546U using Tapatalk

Lol, I hate those stupid things.   Let's make some extra noise by having the wind bang together some metal.  Great! 

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 1