• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
September Discobs 2023

George BM

Did the QPF forecast tonight. Sharpened the western edge and did bring totals down on the NW side and bumped them up on the coastal plain. Have to see how the Euro move affects blended guidance later on, but I still count amounts fairly reasonable given the setup. 

Tonight was also my last night shift and I’m off till Tuesday. I’ll try to chime in on thoughts when I can :)

:raining:

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

Did the QPF forecast tonight. Sharpened the western edge and did bring totals down on the NW side and bumped them up on the coastal plain. Have to see how the Euro move affects blended guidance later on, but I still count amounts fairly reasonable given the setup. 

Tonight was also my last night shift and I’m off till Tuesday. I’ll try to chime in on thoughts when I can :)

What's your thoughts on when it gets out of here on Sunday?

Suppose to take the kids to Hershey park Sunday afternoon.

Some models have it out of here by the afternoon but some have it linger around.

44 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

The weather doesn’t take breaks. Who do you think you are? :pimp:

• Haha 2

As I predicted yesterday evening, the 00z ECM caved and moved west.

Cape pointed out yesterday evening that Mt. Holly was using the NBM because of inconsistencies with the globals. The NBM is a blend of more than 40 models that averages out an outlier like yesterdays ECM.

I produce an abbreviated NBM for my newsletter quite often by blending 4 - 7 models. My 4 model blend at 6pm yesterday was .70" for my location. The NWS NBM was at .75". Remember, the ECM was 0.  This morning, my 4 model blend is 1.06. The NWS NBM is .76" for me and 1.85"  for D.C..

Some models say that a sharp cutoff can occur on the western side.  (the Valley)

1 hour ago, CAPE said:

So we all excited for our rainy weekend? Looks like it's happening! Plenty of football to watch.

And Orioles! 

1 hour ago, nj2va said:

What a complete cave by the Euro. 

I’ll be at deep creek this weekend. Looks a bit drier. Enough for some outside activities.

22 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Is there any objection to me starting a thread for this event? 

Do it

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, batmanbrad said:

or alternatively, it WILL predict snow, we willl get sucked in (again) and trust it, but it will be... wrong again.

It did last year, when Euro predicted a MA snowstorm while the rest of the models showed a cutter. Then the euro caved inside 5-6 days. We believed the euro because it was a good model. Now we know better. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

6z euro even farther west! Almost GGEM like now. 1”+ to deep creek.

Its primary error seems to have been associated with the timing/orientation of that northern shortwave moving southward under the upper ridge in Canada. Previous runs had it sharper/further west and it was acting as a kicker.

ecmwf_z500_vort_us_28.png

ecmwf_z500_vort_us_22.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

On 9/19/2023 at 2:58 PM, mattie g said:

We've all learned that the Euro is just another average model.

Haven't we?

Seems we have. :lol:

2 hours ago, H2O said:

If this storm does go like 0z models show it’s a really bad performance by the euro. GFS led the way. 

1 hour ago, nj2va said:

What a complete cave by the Euro. 

1 hour ago, WxWatcher007 said:

It has…struggled…

32 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I've been on the Euro is not infallible train for years lol. Not what it used to be. 

Thread done

I think many of us really came to accept this last winter. Pretty striking how consistent it used to be with not making big shifts from run to run compared to how flip-floppy it was last winter...nevermind the "caving" to the other models (particularly the GFS).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Terpeast said:

It did last year, when Euro predicted a MA snowstorm while the rest of the models showed a cutter. Then the euro caved inside 5-6 days. We believed the euro because it was a good model. Now we know better. 

Remember a couple winters ago when Topper Shutt did that "we're breaking up" video on the Euro? :lol:

2 hours ago, BlizzardNole said:

Remember a couple winters ago when Topper Shutt did that "we're breaking up" video on the Euro? :lol:

I was out of the country at the time, but wow did he really say that? To bash the euro on air is making a statement… and a correct one at that, it looks like.

9 hours ago, Chris78 said:

What's your thoughts on when it gets out of here on Sunday?

Suppose to take the kids to Hershey park Sunday afternoon.

Some models have it out of here by the afternoon but some have it linger around.

Hey Chris! Sorry, was sleeping. First good sleep I have had since starting nights and it happens when I come off of them (imagine that). 

There’s deviations in forward speed and propagation once it reaches our latitude so it’s still something we’ll have to parse through over the next 24 hrs. Having said that, it does look like general improvements are favored throughout Sunday with NW to SE drying pattern favored. I would say the first part of Sunday could be gloomy but incremental improvements would more likely occur over the course of the afternoon. That’s from what I saw last night in the series of runs and favored ensemble guidance. 

I’m gonna be busy throughout the weekend, so I’ll try to poke in and provide some thoughts, but NWS is well into the handling stage at this point and should be a great source of information. Have fun at Hershey! My wife and I might head up there during Christmas time to take in the lights and festivities. Been a long time coming for that! :santa:

• Like 4

• mappy unpinned this topic