• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2023-2024 Ski Season Thead

Skivt2

It’s August 1st and that means it’s time to start thinking about the new ski season ahead.  

Our Epic Northeast value pass came in the mail today.  We paid the second of the three installments on our Killington passes today.   I went ahead and paid the final three installments on our Indy passes today.  So most of the lift tickets are paid for.  Time to start training for ski season and hoping for an early snowfall.

Here is shot of our back door in central Vermont last March 4th.  Let’s hope the back door looks like this in December.

IMG_1536.jpeg

• Like 9

5 hours ago, Skivt2 said:

It’s August 1st and that means it’s time to start thinking about the new ski season ahead.  

Our Epic Northeast value pass came in the mail today.  We paid the second of the three installments on our Killington passes today.   I went ahead and paid the final three installments on our Indy passes today.  So most of the lift tickets are paid for.  Time to start training for ski season and hoping for an early snowfall.

Here is shot of our back door in central Vermont last March 4th.  Let’s hope the back door looks like this in December.

That's a great lineup, pretty much covers it all.  Doesn't the Beast 365 Pass at Killington include the IKON/Alterra mountains too?  So you have basically covered all of the mountains in Vermont.  And those combined passes all cost less than what just a single AIG Stowe pass used to cost, ha ha.

15 hours ago, Skivt2 said:

IMG_1536.jpeg

That's Epic  (pun intended)

Wow , I love that this cool shot coincides with the aug 1 ski thread firing up 
Got the epic New England  value pass For me and my Gf’s 10 year old so looking forward to it 

I went ikon again due to western trips, but I’ll do a few day passes at Stowe and smuggs because I can’t go a winter without those two. That epic North east pass is a tremendous value tho.

• Like 1

IMG_1536.jpeg.72a0a4efaa7e0c3bc686dfbbd2a649f8.jpeg

Would be nice to see killington get back in the October ski game again..it’s been a few years since they’ve pulled it off.

• Like 1

On 8/1/2023 at 10:18 PM, powderfreak said:

That's a great lineup, pretty much covers it all.  Doesn't the Beast 365 Pass at Killington include the IKON/Alterra mountains too?  So you have basically covered all of the mountains in Vermont.  And those combined passes all cost less than what just a single AIG Stowe pass used to cost, ha ha.

Actually the Beast 365 early price was a little more than $400 more than an unlimited Killington pass.  The Icon comes with the beast 365 but Icon does not come with the unlimited Killington pass.  We have had Beast 365 passes the past 3 or 4 years and really have not gotten the extra $800 in value out of it for various reasons. My 81 year old Dad is all about Okemo these days and we live 15 minutes from the Jackson Gore parking lot.  So we opted to spend that extra $800 on Epic midweek northeast value passes instead of the 365 pass.  We still have unlimited Killington passes because Pico is our true home mountain mid season and we are all about Superstar in spring.  Plus we are 13 minutes from the Skyship .  I’ve been known to do a couple runs on my lunch hour there. I’ve gotten 100 days on my Killington pass 5 of the past 6 years and it’s always a goal of mine.  While I enjoy Sugarbush, we did not get up there enough the past few years. In the old days we used to take a week off and ski Stowe, Jay and Bolton with a Smuggs and a MRG or Sugarbush thrown in.  With the passes we have this year we could do something like that if we wanted.  But I have not skied Stowe in 10 years and I’d like to get there this year.  I’ve never skied Wildcat and it’s on a list of things I would like to do.  So we mixed it up a bit this year.  If nothing else I’m sure I’ll get my money’s worth on the Epic pass even if I only get 4 half days in with my dad because, at this point, getting a few turns in with him is pretty priceless.  

All together the three passes worked out to $2,010.20 each.  It’s a good chunk of change but we may get about half of the money back from my husbands unlimited Killington pass because he works for a local company that gets $700 merchants passes.  We are not sure if he qualifies as he shifts from full time to part time in September.  Killington is a nice company and they will adjust his final pass price if he qualifies.  Had we bought 365 passes that would not be an option since that is a year round pass typically paid in installments including mt biking and golf.

Hasn't all this awe in modern material science figured out how to engineer skis designed for dirt and pebbles yet?  

Then we can bun-out over skiing at all times of the year, and we don't have worry about a future when even the median altitude of sky country falls rainy victim to you-know-what

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 2

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Hasn't all this awe in modern material science figured out how to engineer skis designed for dirt and pebbles yet?  

Then we can bun-out over skiing at all times of the year, and we don't have worry about a future when even the median altitude of sky country falls rainy victim to you-know-what

You have an opportunity - i could see you on shark tank 

Just keep the pitch short and sweet 

• Haha 1

Not sure if this post belongs in the 2022-2023 or this new one. I just got back from Valle Nevado (Andes Mtns, Chile). It's a long ass day of travel (about 18 hours total), but got in some great skiing. Even though they hadn't gotten much snow this year, they still had most of the trails open. They were also experiencing some much warmer than normal temperatures, particularly during the day. Each morning we stuck with the groomers. Temps were in the mid 20's, so we'd ski until about 10, go inside for an hour or so, so that by the time we went back out, everything had softening up. Afternoon temps were in upper 50's to mid 60's, but it felt hotter than that. It's so dry that the snow tends to sublimate more than melt, so it never got sticky sloppy. Met a lot of American's there. I'd say about 20% of the crowd were American's. The others tended to be local or from other South American countries and don't quite understand ski ethics which could be annoying at times. 

Overall a great time, and unique in a sense that there are no trees whatsoever. The road from Santiago to Valle Nevado has about 100 turns, many hairpin and closes in one direction on weekends, so plan accordingly. Also, English is not spoken by much, particularly in the ski areas. And one final thing, if you do go off piste, you can end up in another ski area (El Colorado and La Parva) and you'll have to bribe a liftie to get a chair lift back. 

valle nevado3-2.jpg

valle nevado2-sm.jpg

valle nevado.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

• 3 weeks later...

Ragged Mtn now in some hot water regarding misuse of EB5 investments. Major bummer- Ragged is a great little mountain, but they may have taken EB5 money and used it inappropriately. Same company that owns Ragged also now owns Jay Peak. This could make things interesting for the recovery of Jay Peak is the new owners are also guilty of misusing EB5 funds.

• Like 1

Mount Hood: 8/20 and 8/22.

Due to a very busy summer I was not able to ride the lift as it closed 8/13.  I was pretty determined to get out and ski while I was in the northwest so threw my skins in my bag.  

The Palmer snowfield is well groomed and a nice path is groomed down the gully towards the timberline lodge.  I was able to catch this path about 300 vert up from the parking lot.  This allowed a decent 2200 vert skin all the way to the top of the Palmer lift.  Skiing was really nice due to the frequency and consistency of grooming.  It was not steep at all but it was a lot of fun.  There was only one spot near the silcox but I had to take my skis off due to dirt, otherwise is was a pretty smooth trip up and back to the car.  The second day had better weather(no smoke) but 48 hours of sun blew open a couple crossovers and skis had to be taken off.  

019CC520-BAD7-4489-87EB-82978E14611D.jpeg

78585769-7D1C-4A53-8BA0-496F9A0E62C5.jpeg

C68DDC0C-E795-4BE1-BA2A-C98DCE66F197.jpeg

36215CEF-BC7D-4BD8-A21D-8B6F5EB10B92.jpeg

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
15 hours ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Was looking up Wildcat opening Dates (As it will probably be first to open on my New England Value pass ) and I’m hoping they can open By end of November like they have last 3 of 6 years 

Last season there was a couple of small snow events in the middle of November, some cold air, and then around the 22nd it was a good cold snap for a few days. The crew managed to open a top to bottom run (3 trails) and then 3 smaller trails on the west side of the mountain. Essentially it was a 2,000 vertical feet experience with a few options at the bottom. Good enough for me. bring it on!

2022 - 11_29 - Wildcat.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mreaves said:

Saw something like that on CNN - smaller resorts at somewhat lower elevations lacking snow.

• 2 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, MarkO said:

Got in September, but with an asterisk. Terrible drive down and back on Friday. Record daily rainfall, and I took the vette which is terrible in rain. Worst mistake was renting skis. They were junk and used the wrong wax. Just a terrible experience overall. 

20230929_151416 (002).jpg

Where was this?

The Wasatch in Utah is such a snowy place.  Love that we get a view into it these days.  Live web cams and stake cams weren’t a thing back in the day.  Had to wait for the RSN photo of the day.  Resort Sports Network on TV at various resort towns filled the need for local and regional conditions info, weather, events, advertisements.

There was no cellular and very limited internet (wired, dial-up)… so you had to get your info from a TV, snow phone recording, on a limited basis.

Now we can just sit on our couches and watch it snow thousands of miles away.

https://fb.watch/nrbfHEOaj6/?mibextid=97WSwf