Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August Discobs 2023

George BM

27 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

It looks awful. And probably will continue into at least the second week of the month, although maybe like upper 80s/low 90s vs near 100 next week. Might have to start looking at record warmest September and see how close we may get.

Payback for summer with no summer. Late season heat waves suck. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, 87storms said:

Woke up to the garden shower. Looks like around 0.1” fell (guesstimate based off local wx stations). Gambrill/watershed might have done a little better, which is right up the street from me.

I love it up at the watershed. I was hiking up there a few weeks ago on a weekend. Normally I go during the week. Dudes were flying past me on bikes the whole time. I'd just blow a cloud of weed smoke for them as they came by lol. I also go there to see winter since we don't really have winter on the coastal plan anymore. The lake I visit up there is almost dried up. 

• Haha 1

I love it up at the watershed. I was hiking up there a few weeks ago on a weekend. Normally I go during the week. Dudes were flying past me on bikes the whole time. I'd just blow a cloud of weed smoke for them as they came by lol. I also go there to see winter since we don't really have winter on the coastal plan anymore. The lake I visit up there is almost dried up. 

That place has been my intro to riding rocks. Funny enough, I rode past someone the other day (on an uphill climb) who was taking a toke break lol. I haven’t ridden the crazy stuff there, but even the easier trails are intermediate because you still have to navigate around rocks at times.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, RIC_WX said:

Haven't most of the forecasted heat waves this season failed to deliver?  What makes this one different?

It certainly hasn't reached the temperatures that the models (specifically the GFS) have shown. But for the most part, the idea of it getting warmer has generally come to fruition...

I'm looking forward to the next few days of very nice weather, but going into that dry heatwave next week after having no rain since August 7 is not good.  LWX making a mention of how bad things are getting:

Another point of concern is the ongoing drought from the Shenandoah
Valley up into central MD and eastern WV. With this prolonged period
of dry and hot conditions, this may only continue to get worse. In
addition, with the low RH values and hot temperatures, fires will be
quick to ignite, especially in the early to middle portions of
next week.
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, PrinceFrederickWx said:

I’ve been ranting about this for years, but IMHO the best evidence in this region of climate change is what’s happened to September. It’s basically become the new August. This upcoming one looks to be no different.

yep - Summer doesn't really end here until mid October.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, gymengineer said:

What’s happening right now in SE Virginia is a bit unexpected, right? TS-force gusts and a solid rain shield…covered by wind advisories and coastal flood warnings. 

If you watch the base reflectivity loop out of Wakefield, you can see the front pinching off the NW edge of the precip shield and shoving Idalia out to sea. Pretty neato.

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic