Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August model and weather disco

weathafella

2 hours ago, TheClimateChanger said:

Compounding the intense heat, dewpoints were also at record levels for the month, resulting in an amplified increase to the apparent temperature.

when was the intense heat? not this past July

• Like 3

1 minute ago, SJonesWX said:

I don't think the OP was referencing only New England with that statement (or hope not anyways). I think the statement referenced the intense heat in the deep South and the high dews across the eastern third of the country.

15 minutes ago, forkyfork said:

look at that wave train leading to a retrograde 

yeah... elaborated about this signal emerging more coherently after maybe the 15th this morning.  pretty sure it was one sentenced and then the rest of if was summarily opted out haha

1 hour ago, weatherwiz said:

I don't think the OP was referencing only New England with that statement (or hope not anyways). I think the statement referenced the intense heat in the deep South and the high dews across the eastern third of the country.

1 hour ago, SJonesWX said:

No, I was talking about New England. Literally right above that Twitter link, I had posted the NCEI data for July 2023 showing it was the hottest month on record in New England (dating to 1895). The Twitter link showed it was also the most humid month on record for New England (dating to 1940), according to the ERA-5 reanalysis. How could the hottest and most humid month on record, not be properly described as intense heat? Obviously, when I said "intense heat" I meant relative to normal for New England. It might not be intense compared to Florida or Arizona, but it was literally as hot and as humid as you can possibly get in New England based on historical averages.

1 minute ago, TheClimateChanger said:

No, I was talking about New England. Literally right above that Twitter link, I had posted the NCEI data for July 2023 showing it was the hottest month on record in New England (dating to 1895). The Twitter link showed it was also the most humid month on record for New England (dating to 1940), according to the ERA-5 reanalysis. How could the hottest and most humid month on record, not be properly described as intense heat? Obviously, when I said "intense heat" I meant relative to normal for New England. It might not be intense compared to Florida or Arizona, but it was literally as hot and as humid as you can possibly get in New England based on historical averages.

A lot of it was driven by lows. Boston was approaching latest 90F on record. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, TheClimateChanger said:

Gotcha, ehh I don’t like using the term “hottest” on record in this situation. I think that just drives hype. Like Scott said, much of the above-average warmth in July was the result of warm minimum temperatures, which of course, was a product of the prolonged periods higher dewpoints. 

6 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Epic rains in NE MA don’t have nearly the impact they have in W MA. 

Yeah of course, but you also have a shot at severe.  There's nothing interesting or exciting besides high dews and/or flooding in these parts, so that's what we root for.  And of course severe for everyone else

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Gotcha, ehh I don’t like using the term “hottest” on record in this situation. I think that just drives hype. Like Scott said, much of the above-average warmth in July was the result of warm minimum temperatures, which of course, was a product of the prolonged periods higher dewpoints. 

26 Julys here and 2023 was 2nd warmest.  However, the maxima average was merely 10th of 26 while minima was easily tops.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, TheClimateChanger said:

yeah, you're not in New England, are you? Because we we had in July was very humid with warm mins. Not one single poster here (aside from maybe DIT) would characterize this past July as intense heat. i mean, I had 5 days at 90 or above, which is perfectly normal for my neck of the woods in New England

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, SJonesWX said:

yeah, you're not in New England, are you? Because we we had in July was very humid with warm mins. Not one single poster here (aside from maybe DIT) would characterize this past July as intense heat. i mean, I had 5 days at 90 or above, which is perfectly normal for my neck of the woods in New England

We went over this a week ago or so.  July had the “hottest” average daily temp 

But the daily highs were nothing special.   It was driven by very high daily lows that continued unabated.  

Moist air retains thermal energy pretty well

• Like 1