• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July has arrived ... the Meteorologically defined mid summer month

Typhoon Tip

Easily the best thunderstorm in metro Boston in at least the last 5 years. Nonstop thunder and lightning for over an hour. Then the torrential rains came with good wind. Haven’t seen a light show like that in at least decade and it continues to my NE along the north shore. Awesome night 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, tunafish said:

Y'ain't kidding.

Screenshot_20230721-211929_Chrome.jpg

It’s crazy how that persistent upper level trough over the Great Lakes and the high moisture/dews/PWATS surging north ahead of it, just keep converging over the same areas.

Its like upper level dynamics and associated energy rotating through frequently, jet structure, deep moisture, and even local triggers like terrain… there has been no shortage of reasons for the air to rise and take advantage of this sustained moisture feed out of the south.

The low heights in the means to the immediate west, with higher than normal heights persisting just to the east… the battle ground for three weeks has been right where the heaviest rain has fallen.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

It’s crazy how that persistent upper level trough over the Great Lakes and the high moisture/dews/PWATS surging north ahead of it, just keep converging over the same areas.

Its like upper level dynamics and associated energy rotating through frequently, jet structure, deep moisture, and even local triggers like terrain… there has been no shortage of reasons for the air to rise in the mid/upper levels to truly take advantage of this sustain moisture feed out of the south.

The low heights in the means to the immediate west, with higher than normal heights persisting just to the east… the battle ground for three weeks has been right where the heaviest rain has fallen.

It’s a red flag for me as we approach the peak of tropical season. We get more Great Lakes cutoff lows in August and there’s going to be a legitimate threat along the east coast/Atlantic Canada. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

It’s a red flag for me as we approach the peak of tropical season. We get more Great Lakes cutoff lows in August and there’s going to be a legitimate threat along the east coast/Atlantic Canada. 

The precip pattern, influenced by the large scale synoptic pattern, has looked like a “hugger” in the means.  I won’t lie, it occurred to me too that if this was late summer, we could probably get something to come up and ride the periphery of the mean GL trough.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, BombsAway1288 said:

Easily the best thunderstorm in metro Boston in at least the last 5 years. Nonstop thunder and lightning for over an hour. Then the torrential rains came with good wind. Haven’t seen a light show like that in at least decade and it continues to my NE along the north shore. Awesome night 

Yep. https://photos.app.goo.gl/AD31bNWxDTonbeRb6

• Like 1

I had friends who were at the harbor Pavilion in Boston tonight and the show got cut short due to heavy rain and lightning.  They were pissed but I think standard policy is a 30 minute hold when there is lightning nearby. Reports that the Silver Line bus tunnels had several inches of water in them but service kept moving.

35 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

The precip pattern, influenced by the large scale synoptic pattern, has looked like a “hugger” in the means.  I won’t lie, it occurred to me too that if this was late summer, we could probably get something to come up and ride the periphery of the mean GL trough.

hLixzBR.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mreaves said:

15.19” on my PWS, 15.46” on my neighbor’s one street over. 

The eastern slopes of the Greens, in central sections have been Ground Zero IMO.  Also some spots of the eastern slopes of the Berkshires.  The 10-16" zone is highlighted along the Spine of the Taconics, Berks, Greens and into the larger scale eastern side uplift.  In VT it includes the Spine and eastern hills, Orange Hills, into NEK.  The SSE low level flow meeting with WNW energy aloft... time and time again.  ORH Hills down to Tolland Hills are going to precipitate on that SSE low level flow.  The zones getting the max drench all month definitely fit a distinct pattern.

12 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

They cancelled?

Not sure. They rain delayed it for severe weather for like 45 minutes, and as soon as he came back on it started pouring with flashes again.

As we were leaving he started playing a song that was towards the end of his set list so I wonder if it was sigfnicantly shortened just to get it done.

• Weenie 1