• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2023 - tracking the tropics

mcglups

GFS is insistent that the current LLC will die off and another will form farther Northeast (which is entirely possible due to the high levels of shear). If that doesn't pan out, I'd expect the track will be adjusted to the west somewhat. 

And so it begins. Went from nothing to an explosion of named storms.
A week ago, as I was talking to my neighbor the topic shifted to the weather, namingly FL. and the chances of getting hit this season.
Trying to keep it simple without detailed factors I told of my estimate 18-20 named storms out of those 8-12 hurricanes, 2-4 Major.
I mentioned first would be home grown a Gulf of Mexico LF of what intensity unknown. Given the heat content I wouldn't be surprised with having several named at once. A season that will seem to never end..well into late Oct., odds of a FL. LF hurricane >80% 
Talk about being vague!       

• Weenie 1

26 minutes ago, tiger_deF said:

12z ICON and GFS are shifting way West, I wouldn't write this one off just yet. Frankly I think there's a scenario where Franklin misses us to the South and hits somewhere else on the EC, depending on how ridging builds in.

I still think this is a Maritime Canada/OTS risk. Maybe 55% Canada/45% OTS.

Just not seeing the cutoff troughing we need on the models, and every mile east after DR/Haiti makes it less likely it ever hooks back west enough for NE IMO. I'd want to see smoothing of that hook north of the Antilles as the first step to even be in the game. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I still think this is a Maritime Canada/OTS risk. Maybe 55% Canada/45% OTS.

Just not seeing the cutoff troughing we need on the models, and every mile east after DR/Haiti makes it less likely it ever hooks back west enough for NE IMO. I'd want to see smoothing of that hook north of the Antilles as the first step to even be in the game. 

12z GEFS west also

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ineedsnow said:

12z GEFS west also

We're talking and doing the analysis of course, but I still think we're not going to have a good sense of this one until it gets into the SW Atlantic. 

Also interesting to note that with greater ridging across the Atlantic, this run of the GFS takes 92L across the basin and off the Bahamas in about 10 days. Even forces it SW. If the ridging is really coming on like that, that's interesting. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, tiger_deF said:

12z ICON and GFS are shifting way West, I wouldn't write this one off just yet. Frankly I think there's a scenario where Franklin misses us to the South and hits somewhere else on the EC, depending on how ridging builds in.

12z GFS looks identical to 0z

1 minute ago, WxWatcher007 said:

It's an extremely tough sell for NE. Looks legit risky for @Hazey to Nick though. 

Even if it misses the first trough, the second one coming in may not be sharp enough. Different story for NS.

Not trying to piss on the tropical weenie cheerios, but looks difficult to get that close to SNE.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Even if it misses the first trough, the second one coming in may not be sharp enough. Different story for NS.

Not trying to piss on the tropical weenie cheerios, but looks difficult to get that close to SNE.

Yep. Once we lost the July pattern tropical became a hell of a lot harder here. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

That’s why it’s so rare around here…we know this, but yet we all hope. It’s even more rare in SoCal…but it can even happen there too as we are seeing yesterday and today.  

Funny because 1938-60, we had 5 solid landfalls, three majors and Donna/44 were hardly minimal even up here.  wasn't too rare then.

5 minutes ago, metagraphica said:

Look perfect to me.  No damage for anyone and some good swells for surfing, body boarding, etc...

That’s just the way we like them, close enough to limit swell decay but not so close that we get into the circulation and end up with winds too strong. I’ll never forget Gustav 9/11/02. 10-12’ swells on Long Island in the morning with light winds turned to 50-60mph  offshore winds by mid morning and poof the swell was gone. Extreme example but shows what happens when you get too close. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Except that 92% of us on this board want a direct hit with damage 

As much as the tracking, observations, wind and rain would be a blast, I can really do without living on a generator for a week or more.  Done that more than enough times in the 14 years at this place.  (11 days for Irene, 5 days for Sandy, a week for Isaias and a bunch of other times for various storms)