Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2023 - tracking the tropics

mcglups

3 hours ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

It’s not much, but there could be a window for some W Atlantic development in the next 7-10 days with a weak signal on the ensembles. There are waves out there, it’s just tough sledding for anything to pop right now. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ineedsnow said:

HAWAII  is going to get some massive waves.. they have this at 120kts looks like it would be higher to me.. perfect eye

goes18_ir_05E_202308062005_lat12.9-lon-141.2.jpg

Looks annular

They had a nice south swell last year that led to a few popular videos of swells crashing at a wedding event .

The N shore is where their legendary swells hit from ..the huge gradient between winter high pressure and monster sized Aleutian Low pressures .  

This south swell should be sweet and hit areas that only see that sort of action from tropical systems .

edit it’s actually pretty tiny regarding hurricane force winds extending only 20 miles out and tropical storm force winds 60 miles , so regarding wave Size generation where fetch plays such a large part .. the swell will be sort of equal to a 100mph storm with a moderate size 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Looks annular

They had a nice south swell last year that led to a few popular videos of swells crashing at a wedding event .

The N shore is where their legendary swells hit from ..the huge gradient between winter high pressure and monster sized Aleutian Low pressures .  

This south swell should be sweet and hit areas that only see that sort of action from tropical systems .

edit it’s actually pretty tiny regarding hurricane force winds extending only 20 miles out and tropical storm force winds 60 miles , so regarding wave Size generation where fetch plays such a large part .. the swell will be sort of equal to a 100mph storm with a moderate size 

Exactly. Fetch and duration are actually equally important. You can get captured fetch when a storm is moving fast enough to entrain its own swell. So there is likely a large east swell moving with the storm currently, but to the westerly movement it will miss the islands. The best example of captured fetch was hurricane bill of 08 in the north east. The storm was moving north west towards the coast with a large captured swell ejected as the storm eventually turned north. That produced the largest swell I have witnessed on Long Island. With sets in the 15 foot range causing massive wash overs and beach erosion under sunny sky’s. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Exactly. Fetch and duration are actually equally important. You can get captured fetch when a storm is moving fast enough to entrain its own swell. So there is likely a large east swell moving with the storm currently, but to the westerly movement it will miss the islands. The best example of captured fetch was hurricane bill of 08 in the north east. The storm was moving north west towards the coast with a large captured swell ejected as the storm eventually turned north. That produced the largest swell I have witnessed on Long Island. With sets in the 15 foot range causing massive wash overs and beach erosion under sunny sky’s. 

Well said . That is why people will be continually amazed by surge in storms like Sandy . Top level winds meh . Fetch ..enormous 

Perfect storm fetch sent humongous swells to palm beach county over 1400 miles away . Swell jumped from about 4 feet to 15 feet on bouys in several hours .

Since you are probably one of the only folks who may find it interesting ..Youtube vids of Bill at Schoodic point @ Arcadia looked like the biggest east coast surf I’ve seen filmed .

**Also continuing this tangent , one of the coolest swell phenomena I think you would appreciate occurred in Delray Beach Florida  with cat 5 Hurricane Isabel well ESE . Delrays swell window is NE swell to NNE about 50 degrees to 25. It is blocked to the SE and E by the grand Bahamian bank . Except for a tiny swell window that alligns with the new providence channel in between two Bahama islands to the East . The channel is about 10 miles wide and open from a 100 degree angle swell .

The beaches a few miles south of delray saw 2-4 foot swell that sort of looked refracted and the city of delray itself saw 12-15 foot swells. I was there that day after checking out minimal surf 5 miles south i was shocked as I pulled up to Delray  , it sounded almost like 15 second bombs going off front photographers lined the beach , and the swells looked like the size of “houses” just lined up as far as you can see to the horizon . Was crazy . This is a research paper on the phenomena that day 

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/241223741_How_the_Swells_of_Hurricane_Isabel_Impacted_Southeast_Florida

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Torch Tiger said:

Good, I was thinking earlier....wish we could get a full phase and rip a cane into S CA.  Tough to even get remnant rains above Tijuana 

You would need a cat 5 at the latitude of Cabo, that gets sling shot north north east at, at least 40knots to get anything resembling a real cane. It’s possible but extremely unlikely. Low end trop storm is generally about the strongest possible given the hundreds of miles of cool water along the Baja, which is often even colder than in socal itself. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

You would need a cat 5 at the latitude of Cabo, that gets sling shot north north east at, at least 40knots to get anything resembling a real cane. It’s possible but extremely unlikely. Low end trop storm is generally about the strongest possible given the hundreds of miles of cool water along the Baja, which is often even colder than in socal itself. 

Sounds like New England :lol: 

1 hour ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Sounds like New England :lol: 

Similar. Except the area of cold water (buffer) is much larger and significantly colder. 
Speaking of which we are losing our buffer and will eventually (by the end of the century likely) be prime major hurricane coastline. Without the need for fast speed out of the Gulf Stream to limit weakening. 

2 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Similar. Except the area of cold water (buffer) is much larger and significantly colder. 
Speaking of which we are losing our buffer and will eventually (by the end of the century likely) be prime major hurricane coastline. Without the need for fast speed out of the Gulf Stream to limit weakening. 

Promises promises 

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

I was talking fantasy, surely that's never happened and won't in our lifetime.   SST's etc.  Yet would LOVE to see a catastrophicane ripped into San Diego