Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 13-14th Nor'easter Threat

NJwx85

14 minutes ago, Tatamy said:

And you were worried about getting snow yesterday up there!  Models hit your area fairly well and they seem to be verifying.

That's why I always relied on you and Robbbs to cut through all the BS, and tell me what's gunna happen my way. As you guys understand, it's a whole different world here. I can't forecast. I'm just an obs guy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bxstormwatcher360 said:

Its a big flake type of snow. Althought here it is accumulating on tree branches and power lines since its coming down pretty hard currently. Nice to see daytime snow in mid march atleast.

Nothing but white rain here in Astoria. Snow instantly melted no matter what surface it touched, trees, cars, grass, sidewalks, pavement.

9 minutes ago, WestBabylonWeather said:

My backyard weather station down to 34 now. Colder than I thought we’d get 

33 here but even that's not good enough with moderate to heavy snow coming down. I knew any model run showing an inch of snow for this area would be wrong because it's not accounting for the mid March sun angle. This borderline situation would have worked at night for a couple inches here. Or during the daytime a bomb of a storm in the perfect spot like a couple of those NAM runs showed the other day. That would have worked for a lot more, lol. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, winterwx21 said:

33 here but even that's not good enough with moderate to heavy snow coming down. I knew any model run showing an inch of snow for this area would be wrong because it's not accounting for the mid March sun angle. This situation would have worked at night. Or during the daytime a bomb of a storm in the perfect spot like a couple of those NAM runs showed the other day. That would have worked, lol. 

It has been snowing all day with the sun clearly peeking through the clouds, and not a flake is sticking anywhere. Close the books on this winter already. My son had a delayed opening with the state, I told him, there will come a day ( and I've had them ) where the weather will be clearly dangerous and no one will let you leave early because someone up the chain isn't paying attention or doesn't care. This happened to me in Dec 2003. An actual big snowstorm, poorly modeled in CNJ, and the school super out of town, whilst administrators chased us through the halls threatening anyone who was able to leave early because they had no classes or were non teaching staff. A week later we got hit again and do you think they had learned? Nope. An icy situation left the parking lots a skating rink and lots of injuries. But hey, today there is an emergency....I told him be thankful for the delayed opening and extra sleep. And of course, there was the milquetoast warnings about Ida last year, resulting in tragedies. My wife was stuck on 287 most of the night due to flooding. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, winterwx21 said:

33 here but even that's not good enough with moderate to heavy snow coming down. I knew any model run showing an inch of snow for this area would be wrong because it's not accounting for the mid March sun angle. This borderline situation would have worked at night for a couple inches here. Or during the daytime a bomb of a storm in the perfect spot like a couple of those NAM runs showed the other day. That would have worked for a lot more, lol. 

It makes me wonder how April 7, 2003 and April 2, 2018 worked out so well...much harder rates than this?

1 hour ago, NJwx85 said:

I'm sure that they don't have an actual observation from New City. My guess is that is the temp at HPN. NWS uses HPN for our area and I'm fairly certain The Weather Channel likely uses NWS observations. 

NJW, you are probably right but I can tell you that they do update it often as I just clicked on it and the temp was updated 5 minutes ago,,,,,ps I need a new weather station as mine ran into some technical difficulties  :D

3 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

It makes me wonder how April 7, 2003 and April 2, 2018 worked out so well...much harder rates than this?

2018 was at night IIRC. Also had a weirdly snowy March, even if it didn't work out for a lot of us, but that one did. 2003 I remember starting in the daytime. It was heavy wet flakes and came down fast. Paste job. Lasted a day or so too. Was also a big winter that year, which is when we tend to get April events.

• Like 1

Albany area getting crushed. They will be at average snowfall after this storm. 

It varies greatly in that area. My friends in Schenectady only got 8” while some other areas easily saw over a foot. Shadow effect is real up there. Elevated Places SW of Albany and east of Albany tends to cause sinking air in the valley

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mannynyc said:

Radar is filling in nicely. Best chance for accumulating snow, especially outside NYC, the next few hours. 

1885C4A8-7334-424B-9C6F-582CC76EC11E.jpeg

That’s the deformation band last night models were showing. It developed so let’s see if maybe just maybe we can put down a couple inches on the grass

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

2018 was at night IIRC. Also had a weirdly snowy March, even if it didn't work out for a lot of us, but that one did. 2003 I remember starting in the daytime. It was heavy wet flakes and came down fast. Paste job. Lasted a day or so too. Was also a big winter that year, which is when we tend to get April events.

Yes very late season snowstorms usually come after a cold snowy winter....had that in 1996 too.