Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March Medium/Long Range Thread: The Empire Strikes Back

stormtracker

4 minutes ago, mattie g said:

I love how we think "What an amazing signal at XX days" when the ensemble snow map shows like 3.4" while it shows 28" in SNE. I mean...what kind of signal would *that* be?

:lol:

Wow, didn't even notice that. What a wicked signal on an ens mean. Might be the most snow I've ever seen on an ens mean not in the mountains.

edit: guess half of this is from a storm tomorrow that I somehow didn't notice they were having. Still nuts.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, mattie g said:

I love how we think "What an amazing signal at XX days" when the ensemble snow map shows like 3.4" while it shows 28" in SNE. I mean...what kind of signal would *that* be?

:lol:

This is a good point and I agree with you, but that map also includes the 5-18" PA, upstate NY, and southern NE are getting this weekend to be fair.

• Like 1

Stratosphere is warming again. This is a pretty severe warming. 

compday.iE0sNa6QGD.gif.aa40167a281c04f86e76b670f6c44d8b.gif

There is a 10-15 day lag at this time of the year with 500mb NAO correlation. It's been a nonstop 10mb warm phase since February 15 (15-28). 

What's interesting is that I had another and unrelated factor which is a -NAO signal until March 19th (3.9-19): This year-to-year change has been hitting pretty hard in verification for 2 years. These are two really strong factors. If the -NAO really lifts out the 10th/11, it will say to me that it doesn't have any staying power at this time, which is what I theorized because the Pacific always had an opposite correlation to EC cold when the NAO was negative/positive-cold. I also think there is a high bust-potential, (vs model verification accuracy) that/for -NAO conditions March 11-19. I also think this gravity could slightly make our storm have colder stay power on model trend, but I don't like what happens in the Pacific after March 11. The Pacific may equalize it out, and when that High leaves Alaska, it's game over as far as our snow chances goes. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Stormchaserchuck1 said:

Stratosphere is warming again. This is a pretty severe warming. 

compday.iE0sNa6QGD.gif.aa40167a281c04f86e76b670f6c44d8b.gif

There is a 10-15 day lag at this time of the year with 500mb NAO correlation. It's been a nonstop 10mb warm phase since February 15 (15-28). 

What's interesting is that I had another and unrelated factor which is a -NAO signal until March 19th (3.9-19): This year-to-year change has been hitting pretty hard in verification for 2 years. If the -NAO really lifts out the 10th/11, it will say to me that it doesn't have any staying power at this time, which is what I theorized because the Pacific always had an opposite correlation to EC cold when the NAO was negative/positive-cold. I also think there is a high bust-potential, (vs model verification accuracy) that/for -NAO conditions March 11-19. I also think this gravity could slightly make our storm have colder stay power on model trend, but I don't like what happens in the Pacific after March 11. The Pacific may equalize it out, and when that High leaves Alaska, it's game over as far as our snow chances goes. 

Isn't this a regular occurrence late winter/early spring every year tho? I know mid winter it is rare. I'm not as versed in SSWEs as some. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Isn't this a regular occurrence late winter/early spring every year tho? I know mid winter it is rare. I'm not as versed in SSWEs as some. 

Oct 30-Nov 15: 60 day correlation to 500mb

Nov 15-30: 40-45 day correlation to 500mb

Dec 1-31: 30-40 day correlation to 500mb

Jan 1-31: 20-30 day correlation to 500mb

Feb 1-28: 15-25 day correlation to 500mb. etc. 

They aren't common, as these are anomalies vs the climo-norm. Here's a graph. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding your question? 

10mb9065.png

I'm really impressed with the predictable lead time of D+15 in this 10mb warming to +600dm -NAO. Pretty classic. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic