Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February Banter 2023

George BM

5 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

Aye - red bellied. We have regulars at the feeder of that crew. Also, downy and hairy woodpeckers. Those three most common. The arrival of the red headed one is new and thrilling. 

Downys come to feeders the most of all of them generally.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mappy said:

Big glass ceiling moment this week in meteorology. Liz is a great follow on Twitter if you don’t already, the woman knows her weather. 

I'm genuinely surprised this is the first time! Damn! I recognize/respect Liz from wxtwitter tho I'm not very active there atm. Good for her.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, GramaxRefugee said:

Hope this is more accurate than that Eagles prediction was. 

Did a study once on Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers.. point is found that they beat the spread most of the time. Were close to 60% on SNF and MNF. Point is, in perfect scenario, best QB wins even against the spread.. Eagles were going under the radar at 17-1 and I went contrary to that.. If Hurt's doesn't fumble on his own for a TD it's like 42-38 or something.. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Rvarookie said:

So awesome! Had no idea this field was little behind the curve, but so glad to hear about this game changing moment. 

12 hours ago, Kay said:

I'm genuinely surprised this is the first time! Damn! I recognize/respect Liz from wxtwitter tho I'm not very active there atm. Good for her.

There are plenty of women who work for NWS, but not at the lead forecaster level, which you need to be in order to issue watches through SPC. Liz is training to become the first woman lead forecaster, and as such her training allowed her to actually issue a watch. Pretty awesome, she’s got a heck of a future ahead of her with SPC. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, mappy said:

There are plenty of women who work for NWS, but not at the lead forecaster level, which you need to be in order to issue watches through SPC. Liz is training to become the first woman lead forecaster, and as such her training allowed her to actually issue a watch. Pretty awesome, she’s got a heck of a future ahead of her with SPC. 

Thanks for sharing and kudos to her for leading the way!

• Like 3

On 2/18/2023 at 10:01 AM, nw baltimore wx said:

Monday lunch would be tough for me, but I’d be available after 4. I’d toss out Black Flag as potential site but they are closed on Mondays. Sunday? 

Hey my man! Thanks for reaching out. Unfortunately, Sunday is reserved for a family gathering at my in-laws place all day. Monday is the only day that would work and lunch time is probably all we could muster since my family wants to have dinner with us around 530-6 that day. Tough to squeeze in everyone! Wish we were there for more than 5 full days, but thems the breaks. We do need to plan a meet up next time I'm in town with a bunch of us! I would love to meet everyone. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, mappy said:

I've conversed with Liz multiple times since being out here during severe events. I've also had private conversation with her on Twitter and off twitter when we were both involved in a Hazardous Weather Testbed. Literally one of the nicest people ever, and boy does she know her stuff! She's an inspiration to a lot of female meteorologist both in the field and aspiring to join. I would say she is one of the more influential people in the NWS. I told her we need to meet in person at some point, and she told me her house is always open if my wife and I are ever in the Norman area. Seriously, just a heart of gold. 

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

I've conversed with Liz multiple times since being out here during severe events. I've also had private conversation with her on Twitter and off twitter when we were both involved in a Hazardous Weather Testbed. Literally one of the nicest people ever, and boy does she know her stuff! She's an inspiration to a lot of female meteorologist both in the field and aspiring to join. I would say she is one of the more influential people in the NWS. I told her we need to meet in person at some point, and she told me her house is always open if my wife and I are ever in the Norman area. Seriously, just a heart of gold. 

That’s great! She seems super awesome, and it’s wonderful to see her leading the way for women within meteorology! 

• Like 1

On 2/13/2023 at 2:10 PM, ge0 said:

Yeah this is actually kind of crazy. (nsfw language in vid)

Well it finally appears like I have gotten my answer.  It snowed acid in Ontario. Tracking huge toxic plumes of smoke sure seems like a job for mets and simple to do. EPA ignored my inquiries but I don't trust them after 9/11 anyways. Maybe we dodged an acidic bullet here for this sub. I live near  major roads and have never seen polluted ice.

https://twitter.com/UpwardNewsHQ/status/1627325630323822592?s=20

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, North Balti Zen said:

If I didn’t have some absolute musts at work on Friday that I have to be here for I would load the dogs in the car and make for southern Minnesota for midweek. 

Thursday afternoon it is going to be in the upper 70s here, and it will be about 10 degrees with winds blowing around 12-18+" of new snow back home.  I'll enjoy the warmth, but it'll be a bummer seeing all the pictures.

2 hours ago, MN Transplant said:

Thursday afternoon it is going to be in the upper 70s here, and it will be about 10 degrees with winds blowing around 12-18+" of new snow back home.  I'll enjoy the warmth, but it'll be a bummer seeing all the pictures.

You should see whats about to slam into Palisades Tahoe beginning tomorrow afternoon! Snow snow and more snow!

4 hours ago, North Balti Zen said:

If I didn’t have some absolute musts at work on Friday that I have to be here for I would load the dogs in the car and make for southern Minnesota for midweek. 

Call in sick. Tell 'em its covid if you have to! This is serious! YOU GOT TO SEE THE SNOW!

• Haha 2

On 2/19/2023 at 6:01 AM, Stormchaserchuck1 said:

Did a study once on Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers.. point is found that they beat the spread most of the time. Were close to 60% on SNF and MNF. Point is, in perfect scenario, best QB wins even against the spread.. Eagles were going under the radar at 17-1 and I went contrary to that.. If Hurt's doesn't fumble on his own for a TD it's like 42-38 or something.. 

BTW I went against your bold pick and against my  heart and took KC on the moneyline. Thinking I should do that with your March 8 outlook as well. Thanks for the hot takes.

Ho-hum, another wind advisory. Wind chime retailers in the DMV must be making a fortune, what with all the replacement business traffic they get. 

I am enjoying reading some of the AFDs from out west and the Upper Midwest. Live vicariously, I suppose. I especially like this part from MPX:

By 6PM, the phasing and vertical continuity of the upper
levels is evident, creating a phenomenal scene at the surface.
As the surface low moves up from the southwest, winds will approach
25 to 35 MPH areawide, with gusts approaching 45 to 50 MPH in
western and central MN ... 
This would be similar to what occurred April
2018, when the Twin Cities received 15.8 inches of snow. Due to
obstructions, it is hard to get blizzard conditions in major
metropolitan areas such as the Twin Cities, but with the actively
falling snow and strong winds, this would be an event that could do
so.

Speaking historically, this event could very well break top five
snowfalls in the Twin Cities dating back to 1884. 

It goes on to mention the "Domebuster" storm -- one of the top 5 -- of 2010. Great name for a snowstorm, I guess that was the one that caused the Metrodome's roof to deflate.