Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
February 2023 Obs/Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

2 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

I love when folks say congrats Carolinas…I mean I realize that means it’s way south of SNE, but if we have no cold air for that system, how could they?  I mean I guess they get a rainstorm out of it, and we stay dry. 

It’s called dynamic cooling. Verbatim the gfs gave the Carolinas a snowstorm while we are mild. It can happen. Will it happen probably not. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

I love when folks say congrats Carolinas…I mean I realize that means it’s way south of SNE, but if we have no cold air for that system, how could they?  I mean I guess they get a rainstorm out of it, and we stay dry. 

Why do we care so much if it shows snow down there? Lol. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Weenie me all you want, but good luck with those amounts with those temps and 10:1 assumptions down there.

We all know how snow maps work lol the point is: it’s a modeled snow event there and not here verbatim that’s all we take from it. It’s the Gfs Next run it’ll be congrats somewhere else.

• Like 1

Right. I'm sure there are plenty of years which featured a pronounced dearth of snow not comensurste with the degree of opportunity. This was my point about distinguishing between a rat pattern and rat results. Some were rat on both respects...this year on results. But I'm sorry, an extreme NAO block like that near the winter solstice is not a rat pattern. Find that in 2011 or 2001...or 2006.

If you look at 97-98 the NAO and AO actually weren’t bad. The problem was the super Nino displacing the Aleutian low over AK resulting in ++EPO and PAC air completely flooding the pattern. Had it not been for the super Nino, that probably would have been a decent winter, there were plenty of storms with the very active STJ
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

We all know how snow maps work lol the point is: it’s a modeled snow event there and not here verbatim that’s all we take from it. It’s the Gfs Next run it’ll be congrats somewhere else.

Sure. And I agree with you that as modeled it's pretty dynamic and obviously I agree that it can snow down there and be a nice 45F day up here.

• Like 1

May come stormin' back N whence the relay gets underway this evening and overnight. 

Not a forecast - but there is a non-zero probability that this thing's missing something due to assimilation over the E Pac. 

Some of this system's getting lost to us in recent runs is also related to the handling of the western ridge and the N/stream sliding over top of it.  We had some implications for phasing up through a couple day's ago, but now the ridge is positively tilting and the N/stream is displacing E of the southern aspect ...thus missing phasing.  Not sure if that part can correct and probably won't, but in the off chance the southern aspect relays in stronger it could adjust that along the EC.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

more sun angle too. Burning the candle at both ends.

It feels really good outside today.

33F and sunshine.

First day I noticed the steep south facing cuts by the road getting torched to bare ground, while as soon as the ground angle changes away from south there’s a foot. 

34 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Deepends on the strength of the ULL. Also in WNC we have something called elevation that helps tremendously.  And I don't mean a measly 1000' but 3500' plus which helps us out a lot. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

If you look at 97-98 the NAO and AO actually weren’t bad. The problem was the super Nino displacing the Aleutian low over AK resulting in ++EPO and PAC air completely flooding the pattern. Had it not been for the super Nino, that probably would have been a decent winter, there were plenty of storms with the very active STJ

Right, but the problem in December 2022 was that the PV lobe was pinned underneath the block too far to the west, which also pulled the blizzard back to the west.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

Correct...09-10 was by a whisker weak enough it did not torch but most of those snow events in 09-10 the air was barely cold enough...it was quite close to being a 97-98 repeat but things were just weak enough the pattern did not get overwhelmed 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

10-1 that while you are on the train a freak blizzard happens in your area!

Who am I kidding, I'm not going anywhere..... Whether we get something or not. 25 years ago I would have been able to do these adventures with no problem as I wasn't tied down. It'll come to us at some point ( My life is actually very good, so I don't mind being tied down now )

• Like 1