Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 2023 Obs/Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

1 hour ago, brooklynwx99 said:

nice trend over the last few runs over the E US as the block ticks stronger 

840A506C-9C87-43EE-BB2C-46F2E90D61F7.thumb.gif.8ed119393f96990f9ceb5cff12ed99e7.gif

Keep in mind that just 5 days ago, the GEFS mean based NAO forecast had it drop only to zero Feb 26th-Mar 2nd. Today's has it drop way down to a strong -NAO (-1) on Mar 2nd.

What will the ensemble mean maps have on them five days from now for the E US and other areas for early March? The point is that this is an extra difficult situation (recent major SSW and another major 60N 10 mb wind drop way down into negative territory projected Feb 26-28) for models that have already been performing poorly this winter even without these big strat changes. We shouldn't assume that they have much of a clue about what's going to happen ten days from now, much less two weeks out.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, qg_omega said:

He is 100% correct, the pattern looks very similar to early December with a strong block and trough out west. However, that doesn’t mean we are going to get the same results. Wavelengths are shorter in March and the ssts aren’t nearly as warm as they were in December. There is also the probability aspect of it, if you get that pattern in Dec 10 times do we go snowless 10 times, or did we get unlucky in a favorable pattern? No pattern has a 100% success rate. 

The strong shortwave that moved through had some instability with it.  We had squalls up north… down south my sister sent me photos and videos of large hail near BGM. She’s in a suburban neighborhood at over 1,000ft, which isn’t that high out there.

She caught a close flash of lightning and immediate crack of thunder on video.

It almost looks like huge graupel.

0175C078-4F86-4C30-BA85-04831F17500F.thumb.jpeg.bc8717e684cc22db475d4c111c47f158.jpeg

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Early March threat on gfs and cmc

But the season's over. Same old same old. Pattern's not going to change. That's what you've been doing over and over again the last couple of weeks. I'm not here to call you out, just reminding you what you've been saying.

Trust me.... I would still like one big event before this winter's over, But if we don't get it, it'll be fine. There's always next year

52 minutes ago, Snowcrazed71 said:

But the season's over. Same old same old. Pattern's not going to change. That's what you've been doing over and over again the last couple of weeks. I'm not here to call you out, just reminding you what you've been saying.

Trust me.... I would still like one big event before this winter's over, But if we don't get it, it'll be fine. There's always next year

Usually even in terrible years we have one decent region wide snowstorm. I think we got one in 2012. Nothing yet this year.