Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
February 2023 Obs/Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

23 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Antecedent airmass is actually decent out ahead of the storm....it's just a question of the block being good enough to force redevelopment soon enough to hold in that airmass....if not, then we erode it and get a pseudo-cutter, but on the Euro, it redevelops and we're good.

Looked marginal at the surface during the height of it, but yea...its not like we are dependent on evap cooling or anything. 

1 hour ago, jbenedet said:

While we will have a strong -NAO at this time, I believe there's a high risk that this one, ironically, hooks up with the SE ridge, because of the overwhelming pacific. 

It's not apparent at all at H5; H5 looks generally good. But the warm 850 temps and surface flag high chance of ptype issues. The highest probs is a decent track, but "no cold air". This looks similar to the recurring issue we have had in the recent past, and it's a much different look than this week, with cold anomalies throughout the eastern CONUS and SE Canada.

mm, it depends which suite one chooses to side with. 

The EPS' local hemispheric circulation mode, centered on the same range as these images you've provided above ... would not either allow that type of anomaly distribution you see in the GEFs, ...or if so, it would be deteriorating/normalizing with extreme rapidity

Not sure I agree with 'siding' with the GEFs here... the Euro corp has a pretty damn good handle on NAO as a phenomenon over the years - possibly owing to the fact that the NAO's barrel points at that region of the hemisphere with even more scope focus than it does here as a general tendency. ...that prooobably leads them to needing to get that index under control. Just sayn'

..or as much as they can... I dunno. It's kind of like what Megamike was mentioning yesterday ...best to choose a source that's local, over one from the other side of the planet. It's like Earth telling Martians how to forecast their weather - ... fun metaphor.

Anyway, here's the EPS 850s for that same frame.  Clearly there is a resistance difference in the amount of NAO exertion by the two sources, and that warm anomaly region doesn't get east of the Hudson without attenuation in a Euro-esque proxy... 

image.thumb.png.abf213a92d1f426819f1024b55eeef19.png

Up to Met and hobbyists to choose I suppose. 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Antecedent airmass is actually decent out ahead of the storm....it's just a question of the block being good enough to force redevelopment soon enough to hold in that airmass....if not, then we erode it and get a pseudo-cutter, but on the Euro, it redevelops and we're good.

Yep, agree.

5 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Icon gone wild....but the reason ti did was because of the block. It was more Euro-esque and really held those lower heights to our northeast stout.

See, everyone ?

Will now has a secret ICON fetish ...

For now on, we all know that it doesn't matter what 51 members of the Euro suite suggests for a storm a mere 6 hours away,  in reality ... it's about what the ICON had for it last week. He's got the lotion and tissues set up awaiting by candle light ... while he pulse clicks on the ICON refresh button like a teenage girl exploring her mouse.  LOL

• Haha 5

Will ...wasn't throwin' you under the bus, I just thought Ray's exchange was amusing when you followed it up so fast with an ICON post of your own.

Both were trash talk, duh -

Anyway, the 00z Euro and this 12z ICON solution ( hahaha...) are more back to an index-scaled suggestion.  It doesn't make them right, but the idea of a -NAO onsetting mode change has been on the landscape really for over a week...  So, it's like we have emerging solutions that have a plausibility - not just noise... 

We'll see

Just now, Typhoon Tip said:

Will ...wasn't throwin' you under the bus, I just thought Ray's exchange was amusing when you followed it up so fast with an ICON post of your own.

Both were trash talk, duh -

Anyway, the 00z Euro and this 12z ICON solution ( hahaha...) are more back to an index-scaled suggestion.  It doesn't make them right, but the idea of a -NAO onsetting mode change has been on the landscape really for over a week...  So, it's like we have emerging solutions that have a plausibility - not just noise... 

We'll see

I'm just making light of the fact that you seem to be experimenting with that model this year. 

Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I'm just making light of the fact that you seem to be experimenting with that model this year. 

No you're right... I was and admittedly so, I stated at the beginning that I was intending on giving the model a fair test - I hadn't yet.

At the time, some NWS offices began mentioning it in AFDs... I just didn't know; lacked personal experience with that guidance.

Honestly, my findings are not that great - mediocre and often just wrong to be blunt.  But, having a mode change in a major index field, whilst other models have at one point or the other over the last week ... flagged 28th/1st ... it's more about the 28th/1st than it is the ICON being iconic of pos model

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah it redevelops quick enough and moves almost due east south of SNE

An interesting aspect of the GGEM is it it never changes things over to rain north of Connecticut and Rhode Island… It may not have fully committed to a Miller B but it is far enough along over the threshold that it really doesn’t matter? That’s what it looks like to me