Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
February 2023 Obs/Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

mm, it depends which suite one chooses to side with. 

The EPS' local hemispheric circulation mode, centered on the same range as these images you've provided above ... would not either allow that type of anomaly distribution you see in the GEFs, ...or if so, it would be deteriorating/normalizing with extreme rapidity

Not sure I agree with 'siding' with the GEFs here... the Euro corp has a pretty damn good handle on NAO as a phenomenon over the years - possibly owing to the fact that the NAO's barrel points at that region of the hemisphere with even more scope focus than it does here as a general tendency. ...that prooobably leads them to needing to get that index under control. Just sayn'

..or as much as they can... I dunno. It's kind of like what Megamike was mentioning yesterday ...best to choose a source that's local, over one from the other side of the planet. It's like Earth telling Martians how to forecast their weather - ... fun metaphor.

Anyway, here's the EPS 850s for that same frame.  Clearly there is a resistance difference in the amount of NAO exertion by the two sources, and that warm anomaly region doesn't get east of the Hudson without attenuation in a Euro-esque proxy... 

image.thumb.png.abf213a92d1f426819f1024b55eeef19.png

Up to Met and hobbyists to choose I suppose. 

Yes, but again, 850's could cooperate here (much more likely than not), all the way up to h500. It's the BL, up to 925 where the problems arise.

And even though this 12z GFS depiction shows snow in SE NH on this, I am hard selling the clowns here, with a strong southeasterly fetch out ahead. This IS very similar to the problems we had seen during other favorable windows, earlier in the season.

gfs_mslp_wind_us_24.png

• Like 4

GFS likes the 4th --... that has even more index-scaled appeal than the 28th.

Actually, the previous assertion on my part was premature now that look over the 500 mb aspects of these runs.  That's more of a needle threading operation aloft, but,...one that appears to have decent antecedent cold like Will was mentioning.  So..that helps ( feed-back physics ) in encouraging more S movement.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

3/4 incoming.

Yeah, I thought we had a chance for a 1-2 week run in February. Clearly that didn't happen, but maybe this is our 1-2 week chance coming up. Looks a lot better than the February chance ever did. Now let's see what can happen to screw things up, lol. I am sitting at 4ish inches for the season....and simple advisory snowfall could double our season total at this point. Maybe we finally get some luck on our side and run the table? 

6 minutes ago, Spanks45 said:

Yeah, I thought we had a chance for a 1-2 week run in February. Clearly that didn't happen, but maybe this is our 1-2 week chance coming up. Looks a lot better than the February chance ever did. Now let's see what can happen to screw things up, lol. I am sitting at 4ish inches for the season....and simple advisory snowfall could double our season total at this point. Maybe we finally get some luck on our side and run the table? 

I’ll quit the board if we don’t hit 20” by spring solstice. 

• Haha 1

GFS has 3 systems actually beyond tomorrow's fun - on this run...

There's a sneaky flat/frontal wave/overrunning signal around 2nd that's got a huge diabatic assists with warm March thickness as far N as PA and continue cold loading above that latitude. 

That thing could be a half foot for CNE anyway in its own rights -

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, TalcottWx said:

I will drive to Southbury, make a quick stop at the Lodge, then get a sandwich at Mikey's, and then kick your ass if you quit the board.

Mikee’s, going there today actually but dude…we can’t get shut out rest of the way. I don’t see it. Maybe I should bet something else though with whoever dares to continue down the path of persistence.

8 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Mikee’s, going there today actually but dude…we can’t get shut out rest of the way. I don’t see it. Maybe I should bet something else though with whoever dares to continue down the path of persistence.

little Ditty quiet today.  must be on his way to the dispensary for ginx.

• Haha 2