Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 2023 Obs/Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

All about how the block retrogrades. If it sort of stays shunted south of greenland, then it’s not gonna help us much and it will prob stay fairly mild. If it can retro into greenland, then you will get a better response south of it in SE Canada and New England which would prob give us several opportunities. But if it’s one of these deals where it meanders over the North Atlantic and then tries to poke into the Davis strait from the south, that’s mostly hot garbage in a -PNA. Most of the uglier solutions are some version of that where the fun solutions are not. 

That image above from 12z Saturday displays it nicely. 

15 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Awful 12z runs

The stupid trough doesn't want to move out of the west.

Did you think it was going away? :lol:Pretty much everyone keeps saying the pacific isn’t changing. Our help is going to have to come from the Atlantic side which already leaves New England with not much wiggle room. NYC is even less. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Why look at the long range ?

it's just that they aren't awful at all. they're actually very active with two storm possibilities so far

NYC will just have to wait longer and have less wiggle room. personally I think the 3/5-3/20 window has the most promise for the entire NE US but everyone is exhausted so there's no need to really elaborate on that

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

it's just that they aren't awful at all. they're actually very active with two storm possibilities so far

NYC will just have to wait longer and have less wiggle room. personally I think the 3/5-3/20 window has the most promise for the entire NE US but everyone is exhausted so there's no need to really elaborate on that

But but but the sun angle.:lol:

35 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Awful 12z runs

The stupid trough doesn't want to move out of the west.

The models are struggling with the blocking. The trough out west isn’t going anywhere but I think they will correct to a broad conus trough rather than blocking and an se ridge. I don’t think it makes a whole lot of sense to have strong se ridging and blocking at the same time. I could be wrong, but I really don’t think we are getting a repeat of December. In March the wavelengths are shorter, so even if we do get the same pattern the results will likely end up being better. This winter has sucked but when we see blocking like this the potential is extremely high.

Also isn’t East based blocking better for New England than west based? I thought west based was better for the mid Atlantic, and south based just shoves the cold SW while we roast and rain. North based has the highest ceiling, with some of the biggest New England blizzards occurring with north  based blocking. Correct me if I’m wrong, but that’s how I thought it worked.

3 minutes ago, George001 said:

Also isn’t East based blocking better for New England than west based? I thought west based was better for the mid Atlantic, and south based just shoves the cold SW while we roast and rain. Correct me if I’m wrong, but that’s how I thought it worked.

East based blocking tends to be better when we have a serviceable pacific pattern. When the pac is mostly dogshit like it will be coming up, you want that block to maximize confluence and cold in southeast Canada…that would be in the form of a greenland/Davis strait block that comes in from the east. We do NOT want the block coming in from the south, that just won’t get it done with the pacific like it is. It needs to come in more from the east bexause that will be way more efficient at pinning the 50/50 subvortex there. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Did you think it was going away? :lol:Pretty much everyone keeps saying the pacific isn’t changing. Our help is going to have to come from the Atlantic side which already leaves New England with not much wiggle room. NYC is even less. 

Only a few more weeks and none of this will matter. The agony is almost over. 

I think NYC south is done. Even if things improve later in March climo works against them in a big way but SNE will do well as long as the blocking plays out as forecast.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 3

23 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

East based blocking tends to be better when we have a serviceable pacific pattern. When the pac is mostly dogshit like it will be coming up, you want that block to maximize confluence and cold in southeast Canada…that would be in the form of a greenland/Davis strait block that comes in from the east. We do NOT want the block coming in from the south, that just won’t get it done with the pacific like it is. It needs to come in more from the east bexause that will be way more efficient at pinning the 50/50 subvortex there. 

this is what we want. this would have very high potential verbatim with the 50/50 dipole and west-based block

cmc-ensemble-all-avg-nhemi-z500_anom_1day-8363200.thumb.png.f9f57a614bf2eeeb724615113ec8cde8.png

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

this is what we want. this would have very high potential verbatim with the 50/50 dipole and west-based block

cmc-ensemble-all-avg-nhemi-z500_anom_1day-8363200.thumb.png.f9f57a614bf2eeeb724615113ec8cde8.png

Even there i’d still prefer the base of that block to have a bit more latitude than it does (see how it’s almost coming in from the southeast instead of more from the east?). But yeah, verbatim you see a really strong 50/50 response to it which would serve us well. I just want to have more wiggle room as we get closer. 

I like the appeal outside today though ...least around here.  We got the old 'under the radar' grits and flurries going... it's a solid fireplace afternoon.  

Also, that looks somewhat convective out there in NYS ...wonder if we can't get a burst later this evening

• Like 1