Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
February 2023 Obs/Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

Hey saw some awesome video from Watch Hill of surfing last week. Perfect curls on overheads to double overheads. I was going to go down there that day but we had a family emergency with a great grandkid, he's fine now but scary. Anyways Pete posted pics of Sugarbush yesterday and it looked prime.

Bring Pete MRG and Chris from the boonies of NW CT back

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

It’s not CC lol. 

Remember when CC made a permanent ridge out west because of the “pacific warm blob”? 

Guess that fad is done. Now it’s the SE ridge’s turn to be the new fad. Get ready for a new one next year if we get El Niño and SE ridge goes poof. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, jbenedet said:

Garlic sprouting already. Just noticed it but looks to have started about a week ago. 

It’s my first time growing garlic; so unsure how unusual this is, but I was expecting to see this level of growth about a month later.

I just checked, ours is coming up too. If there looks to be another artic outbreak without snow cover, then I will just cover them up with leaves. The concern is over the next couple weeks it will start really growing, then get really cold for a bit. Could damage the plant or stunt their growth.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Remember when CC made a permanent ridge out west because of the “pacific warm blob”? 

Guess that fad is done. Now it’s the SE ridge’s turn to be the new fad. Get ready for a new one next year if we get El Niño and SE ridge goes poof. 

I mean it’s certainly warm, but this pattern would suck in 1620 as well. 

You can debate if the marginal events would produce, but a low tracking over Buffalo has been rain since the dawn of time. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

That seems hard to believe that out west hasn’t seen much outside the coast… given the widespread much above normal SWE in almost all mountain areas out there.

Most of the ski areas out there are absolutely buried, some record snows.  They’ve had a lot of QPF.

Whats been the change from pre-winter?

Negative departures built over years, but according to @Ginx snewxthe northeast’s AN and lack of snow should have mean reverted bc of snowless days and weeks in January(oops), in February (woops!)…and now in March  bc…well…just bc…

As if the earth’s physical systems GAF about man-made time and the calendar. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

Talk about a cool place to work. Not sure if anybody follows them, but those guys get to weenie out and do all bunch of stuff, but for science. 

When I was in LA and in private practice in the early 80s I had a patient who was one of those guys.  I always had them schedule him at the end of the day-we’d finish my work and then go to the office to weenie out for an hour…lol

• Haha 3

27 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

Negative departures built over years, but according to @Ginx snewxthe northeast’s AN and lack of snow should have mean reverted bc of snowless days and weeks in January(oops), in February (woops!)…and now in March  bc…well…just bc…

As if the earth’s physical systems GAF about man-made time and the calendar. 

I have no idea what you are talking about. You are insane.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

Days 10-15 are pretty wintry on GEFS 

1E761F8C-A8B0-4474-9D15-8C8D823FC754.png

B0B1164C-90A6-4D06-8F0B-52F3C6443449.png

A9FFC925-697B-4C15-8754-EC1052AF6562.png

PV trying to creep down into northern Hudson Bay…that’s typically where it starts to get pretty interesting for us. It’s what help set up the historic cold shot a week ago…though we didn’t capitalize in terms of snow. 

Need to get it inside 10 days. 

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

50/50 low gone wild on EPS. Would be nice to get that.

Getting pushed south toward us a bit from that UK/Iceland ridging trying to form…that’s what the weeklies went wild with another week later by retrograding that ridge into greenland. I’m skeptical, but if we’re looking for a fun ending, that’s what we’d be watching. 

4926D9A2-029E-4A1F-BBD3-07127F0EB112.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1