Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 2023 Obs/Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

20 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah that event is likely toast. But I’ll give it another cycle or two. Then we deal with a monster SE ridge for the next week beyond that…next potential for snow would be last week of Feb imho if 2/12 doesn’t produce. 

That looks gaining traction and is intriguing - imho...

I'm still unsure on the mid month 'warm burst' potential - the scale and degree of that. It may only be a series or rotted warm sectors ... with putrid cool backs, while the TV sees a run at 70 F...or, recent history combined with ...blah blah blah telecon spread certainly would allow for bigger balloon. 

After that, the GEFs and the GEPs suggest the entire NH PV slips off it's axis and winds up situated over the N archipelago of Canada... This was hinted over the last several days ...but at 300+ hours, it could just be the entropic state from all the noise of spaghetti averaging... etc.   This last night, though ... it has take on real/more structure ...   We'll see -

The distant numerical indexes did not really reflect that look, but ... it's almost a look that fits inside a neutral field. The PNA looks so-so +, the EPO so -, the AO flat-lined. But the PV is just tilted off the axis of the typical geography, and repositions on our side of the hemisphere, by just enough.   interesting...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I'm still unsure on the mid month 'warm burst' potential - the scale and degree of that. It may only be a series or rotted warm sectors ... with putrid cool backs, while the TV sees a run at 70 F...or, recent history combined with ...blah blah blah telecon spread certainly would allow for bigger balloon. 

After that, the GEFs and the GEPs suggest the entire NH PV slips off it's axis and winds up situated over the N archipelago of Canada... This was hinted over the last several days ...but at 300+ hours, it could just be the entropic state from all the noise of spaghetti averaging... etc.   This last night has take on real structure though..   We'll see -

The distant numerical indexes did not really reflect that look, but ... it's almost a look that fits inside a neutral field. The PNA looks so-so +, the EPO so -, the AO flat-lined. But the PV is just tilted off the axis of the N on our side of the hemisphere, by just enough.   interesting...

Yeah the ridge is a little offshore so it sort of renders the PNA neutral...but we have cross polar flow and a pretty robust PV on our side of the hemisphere....so I could definitely see a wintry stretch in late Feb/early Mar for one last run at something meaningful. It could easily crap out though....so people shouldn't start expecting a grand finale....though in this winter, an 8 inch snow event would be considered a "Grand finale"....so we'll see. I'd obviously wait until we're much closer to put more definitive odds on seeing something wintry.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah that event is likely toast. But I’ll give it another cycle or two. Then we deal with a monster SE ridge for the next week beyond that…next potential for snow would be last week of Feb imho if 2/12 doesn’t produce. 

Some locales are going to be primed for a run at futility.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

After that, the GEFs and the GEPs suggest the entire NH PV slips off it's axis and winds up situated over the N archipelago of Canada... This was hinted over the last several days ...but at 300+ hours, it could just be the entropic state from all the noise of spaghetti averaging... etc.   This last night, though ... it has take on real/more structure ...   We'll see -

The distant numerical indexes did not really reflect that look, but ... it's almost a look that fits inside a neutral field. The PNA looks so-so +, the EPO so -, the AO flat-lined. But the PV is just tilted off the axis of the typical geography, and repositions on our side of the hemisphere, by just enough.   interesting...

It's a good example of why I keep telling that snowman dude to stop cramming tweets of PV charts down people's throats....you don't need a complete evisceration of the arctic to see snow in New England.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I’d have to rate this winter an A+ so far. 2 11”+ events, a deep pack the past couple of weeks, a warm and snowy January, and a brief record cold airmass to start Feb.

I guess it all depends on what the criteria are. From a snow perspective I would imagine that the only A+ season is really 2007 2008 with 2010-11 as an A.  But if your criteria is not too much intense cold, a period of deep winter, with a snow pack to get out and enjoy, and then some nice warm ups then this winter might turn out to be a really good one. A B so far, with points taken off for the slow start, and the number of days with no sun.  A warm-up soon, followed by another week or two of deep winter, and then a quick transition to spring would make this a A for me.

45 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

If these systems this week all go liquid, we could really melt out quite a bit this week although there will still be snow in the woods for sure because it doesn’t look to get that warm. But it’s also quite possible that we have snow to rain and we stayed pretty cold and mostly keep our 10 to 18 inch snow pack.  It is a very resilient pack.

13 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Some locales are going to be primed for a run at futility.

If we get through the final week of February, then maybe....but nobody is really that compelling at the moment in the BOX stations....I think BDR (OKX office) has a non-hail mary shot though. They are sitting at 0.8 inches right now with their record at 8.2 inches.

7 minutes ago, mahk_webstah said:

If these systems this week all go liquid, we could really melt out quite a bit this week although there will still be snow in the woods for sure because it doesn’t look to get that warm. But it’s also quite possible that we have snow to rain and we stayed pretty cold and mostly keep our 10 to 18 inch snow pack.  It is a very resilient pack.

I favored you being at peak pack last week , but it can still break either way . Thou I wouldn't change my semi educated guess 

1 hour ago, The 4 Seasons said:

post-861-0-54727700-1328130367.jpg

Yup.  Pretty much.  Tuned up snow blower looking for something to chew up...might as well be me, while enjoying that wiener in the balmy February sun.  
I will be putting her back in the shed pretty soon. Usually I wait until the beginning of April. Not this god forsaken year. 

5 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

60? Won't hear me complain.

I'd love to dry out the ground a bit....With all the rain we've had, plus the recent freeze (now thawing) and the small amount of snow we had in late January....the ground is pretty damp. I'd take 60 and dry....but 46F and rain will just make me want to stick needles in my eyes, lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, mahk_webstah said:

I guess it all depends on what the criteria are. From a snow perspective I would imagine that the only A+ season is really 2007 2008 with 2010-11 as an A.  But if your criteria is not too much intense cold, a period of deep winter, with a snow pack to get out and enjoy, and then some nice warm ups then this winter might turn out to be a really good one. A B so far, with points taken off for the slow start, and the number of days with no sun.  A warm-up soon, followed by another week or two of deep winter, and then a quick transition to spring would make this a A for me.

My criteria is a blend of my old winter weenie ways and what’s good for my birds and plants. So basically not too cold, a decent pack to insulate the ground, and then maybe a 2 week stretch of deeper winter with a good storm in there. So you can check all of those boxes off. I would probably have preferred a little less QPF this winter, but you can’t have it all. I don’t like the big cold anymore, but I used to weenie out over it so if it’s going to be brutal at least make the airmass record breaking. So another check mark there.

Yeah it has sucked a bit south of here, but I’ve seriously been enjoying it up here. The snow banks are still really damn high as of this morning. It’s a deep winter look. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I'd love to dry out the ground a bit....With all the rain we've had, plus the recent freeze (now thawing) and the small amount of snow we had in late January....the ground is pretty damp. I'd take 60 and dry....but 46F and rain will just make me want to stick needles in my eyes, lol

Definitely need to dry it out. Back to mud again.