Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2023 Obs/Discussion

Torch Tiger

17 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yes, 100% and this is the difficulty of having a discussion where climate change enters the chat.

Things can be getting warmer BUT also not be the main cause of our ratter winter so far.  Both of those statements can be true.

Climate change is not putting a mean upper level trough over the inter mountain west with above normal heights over us.  That’s just a shitty draw on a pattern that does not want to budge.

Yeah this winter would be dogshit even if we were wearing knickers pulling oxen in the 1700s. Maybe ORH would’ve gotten some snow out of that 12/16 event but I can’t really point to any other events that would’ve  worked well just by shaving a degree and a half off the atmospheric profile. Of course, one could claim “we wouldn’t get this upper level look in the 1700s…” which is a semi-fair point but not really valid to the discussion. Total dogshit upper level patterns have happened in all eras…maybe just the frequency of certain ones has changed.

Also, you really have to do robust attribution studies on how CC connects to the hemispheric pattern. We are all old enough to remember when CC was blamed for some of the brutally cold winters (esp Midwest/plains) in the late 2000s/early 2010s…and also blamed for the increasingly -AO/-NAO patterns of that time. Somehow, we don’t hear much about that now once the AO/NAO went more positive since 2014. The funny part is the northern plains and Rockies have continued to get brutal winters in the past 5-6 years too even with a more positive AO. But the northeast has probably been the warmest place in the CONUS relative to average the past 7-8 years or so. We were due for some of that though after the relatively colder period from 2007-2015. 

• Like 5

For what it’s worth Bernie Rayno has the snow threat as far south as DC and takes it up to Maine. He insisted the Christmas week threat would run inland even when the models showed an east coast blizzard. He isn’t a hype machine, he’s wrong sometimes like anyone else but I’ve been watching him for years and he’s right more often than not. That said, he did mention that the signal isn’t super strong.

3 hours ago, George001 said:

983 mb over the benchmark in mid Jan with a high to the north. I’m tossing the thermals verbatim on that run. Euro does run inland a bit though so i get why it rains on that, but the gfs is smoking some good shit. There’s just no way we get a low that strong over the benchmark with a high to the north and rain in mid Jan.

You weren't around in 1998, were you?

4 hours ago, cut said:

I’ve totally checked out this winter after X Mas fail. All about my New York Rangers and Giants - Red Sox had about as a winter as their home town so I’m checking out from them as well.

Ha, I know where you live!  I've walked my dog past your house and seen the Rangers on your TV many times.

1 minute ago, kdxken said:

Why do you have a hair across your ass in regards to CC? Non-believer?  Just curious.

Because there’s not enough of a record!  Thousands of years of climate and change…and we’ve been keeping records for what…150 yrs or so?  But we’re so sure that this hasn’t happened centuries before, or millenniums before. You’ll never convince me of it.  And when it was brutal cold in the 70’s what was that? Then they said a new ice age was coming Lmao. And when it starts getting colder again…maybe after we’re gone, or not, then what’s that?  

Oh wait…15,000-25,000 yrs ago when we had massive ice sheets over the whole place…and then they melted over a period of a few thousand yrs, that wasn’t CC? Give me frieken break. climate is always changing…that’s the point. This shit bag winter isn’t CC. 

I don’t want to get into it…cuz it infuriates me. It’s an agenda…period. It’s Woke to believe that shit now, so believe whatever the hell you want. I don’t believe it one bit! 

Im out! 

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

42 minutes ago, Go Kart Mozart said:

You weren't around in 1998, were you?

One of my most painful memories was 2/24/98. Started off as rain and then quickly flipped to heavy snow and forecasts were for 8-12” over interior hills here. Then all of the sudden it flips to sleet and then rain after about 4” of heavy wet snow. They kept saying it should flip back but it never did. Had like 2-3” of rain on top of that paste with a benchmark track.