• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
"We're gonna need a bigger plow..." Massive, persistent singal now emerges discretely in the models, 20th-23rd

Typhoon Tip

5 minutes ago, radarman said:

At this range I wouldn't rule anything out, but for now I'd just like to mitigate damage in ski country.

It's one truly is a done deal. It's not coming back in any way shape or form. Now for separate storm followed on its heels by some odd chance, that would be a different story. But this particular storm. It is absolutely 100% not for the Northeast

Just now, Snowcrazed71 said:

It's one truly is a done deal. It's not coming back in any way shape or form. Now for separate storm followed on its heels by some odd chance, that would be a different story. But this particular storm. It is absolutely 100% not for the Northeast

It’s a volatile pattern for the model accuracy in the medium to long range. Things don’t look good but I wouldn’t give up for another 48 hours or so if your hope is for a colder snowier outcomes.

36 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

This as is kind of reminds me OF an '80s storm....  

At least serviceable cold --> rain --> cold     There were several years there in that decade where it was just easier to give in an assume that's what would happen.  

What's interesting also, is that there were several exceptionally deep powerful bombs that just nicked the Cape but missed otherwise that decade... It was like there was this diverter in the field sending everything W or S ... seldom through the middle.   But, there were some.  We had pretty spectacular positive bust event in early February of 1987 I think it was...  Supposed to be 1-3" ending as light rain, and we got 10" in 4 hours with thunder.  Then there was the 'ZYSYGY' storm in '86 I think it was... that dumped 20" over interior eastern Mass. 

Here and now... I wonder if 'model magnification' may be overdoing this thing some.  I've wondered that from the beginning.  We don't need 962 mb lows to answer for a 'big signal' ... A 978 mb low over NYS will do just fine to standardize butt bang NE out of a white holiday, and still be sufficiently large to account for the D(+PNA) --> PNAP.  

This is also a situation where the signal is very real... but whether it affects this New England region or Michigan is coming down to the fact that the PNAP is biased W.   The ridge has gone back W or is going W, depending on which guidance, and so the wave comes in and rails SE too early to be an EC expression. That's it.  I suppose it can change.  Also, if the flow proves less amplified overall, you may gain some longitude back for just being a flatter significant system over one that takes a larger parabolic dive.

IIRC, that ZYZYGY (spelling optional) storm was Jan 2-3, 1987.  It was odd in that snow reached PWM about 4 AM but didn't get to AUG until after noon.  Then it went from 1st flakes to white wall - 1/8 mi vis - in less than 60 seconds.  2nd biggest snowfall in our 13 winters in Gardiner and first of 5 storms that month, for 49" total.

36 minutes ago, radarman said:

At this range I wouldn't rule anything out, but for now I'd just like to mitigate damage in ski country.

Yeah esp after ski country just got an awesome base builder. Getting a screamer would suck. 

At least powderfreak can host his annul Xmas skimming party.