Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
December 2022 Obs/Disc

40/70 Benchmark

1 hour ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

None of the 3 major ensemble means give me a warm and fuzzy about that pre-Xmas system...most of the energy looks west again. The ceiling looks something akin to that crap on Friday...as of now.

The antecedent airmass is better, but the mean track is worse than this Friday, so it’s basically a wash in my eyes at this point.

Obviously a lot can change, but the current look is basically congrats north country.

2 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

The antecedent airmass is better, but the mean track is worse than this Friday, so it’s basically a wash in my eyes at this point.

Obviously a lot can change, but the current look is basically congrats north country.

The current look, agreed. The hope is that given other changes that are ongoing, that it will trend more favorably.

1 hour ago, brooklynwx99 said:

yeah, this is a pretty incredible signal

closed upper level high in the Beaufort Sea, +PNA, stout WB -NAO, a transient 50/50 feature, and a ridiculously vigorous shortwave for this lead time

all of the pieces are there for a significant storm. where it goes is anyone's guess at this point but this is a very, very high end signal. could impact the coast or the Lakes, no way for anyone to really tell right now

gfs-ensemble-all-avg-namer-z500_anom-1753600.thumb.png.64a46d9d4e39add9f871eb62213780b9.png

even if it heads to the lakes you'd have to think there is redevelopment off the coast given the confluence ahead

20 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

this is the type of potential next week holds. this is just an insanely dynamic solution

you get that over the ocean and George wouldn't even be hyperbolic about his description of it

gem_z500_vort_us_fh150-216.thumb.gif.7fe5cd64c5d0eca3983aec2384d6b383.gif

Get that to verify 250 miles East and wow.. Would be the storm of our lifetime as it falls Dec 22-24th with epic cold behind.. 

• Like 4

For winter storm enthusiast you just need to get that thing under Long Island as opposed to curling up thru Pennsylvania a New York state  

I mean we’re in signal recognition mode but in so far as what the model run looks like there with that Canadian….

The shortest avenue to doing that would be having the western ridge push into into the High Plains as that mass of mechanics gets ejected east.  The other way might be to exert more negative NAO in which case we start the Minnesota squeeze antics again. 

7 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

For winter storm enthusiast you just need to get that thing under Long Island as opposed to curling up thru Pennsylvania a New York state  

I mean we’re in signal recognition mode but in so far as what the model run looks like there with that Canadian….

The shortest avenue to doing that would be having the western ridge push into into the High Plains as that mass of mechanics gets ejected east.  The other way might be to exert more negative NAO in which case we start the Minnesota squeeze antics again. 

speaking of exertion of more -NAO... look at the correction towards a much stronger -NAO over the last model cycle from the GEFS

ezgif-1-bca44dad1c.thumb.gif.c2cd38c43fe0e88750657aa7d3e929ae.gif

51 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

this is the type of potential next week holds. this is just an insanely dynamic solution

you get that over the ocean and George wouldn't even be hyperbolic about his description of it

gem_z500_vort_us_fh150-216.thumb.gif.7fe5cd64c5d0eca3983aec2384d6b383.gif

That's like Blizz of '78 type crap...coastal impacts probably not withstanding. 

• Like 2

image.thumb.png.64d28c5746fd131160fd76f2bf7329a9.pngthis threat looks a lot better than the Friday one. Verbatim the low is too inland to eastern areas, but the airmass is way colder than it will be for the Friday threat. The Friday threat probably won’t pan out for eastern areas, but it did go from a low In Wisconsin to a Miller B. Hell, the airmass is so cold for this threat, we might see decent snow totals even east of the low.

berks gearing up for possibly two 16+ storms in a week huh...ALY cutting off the warning snows for this one just NW of my area, this will be one of those where Norfolk gets 6+ and I get 2/3" imby, but hold hope next week pans out, plenty of excitement in the tracking department, much better than last year

21 minutes ago, George001 said:

image.thumb.png.64d28c5746fd131160fd76f2bf7329a9.pngthis threat looks a lot better than the Friday one. Verbatim the low is too inland to eastern areas, but the airmass is way colder than it will be for the Friday threat. The Friday threat probably won’t pan out for eastern areas, but it did go from a low In Wisconsin to a Miller B. Hell, the airmass is so cold for this threat, we might see decent snow totals even east of the low.

Ray loves this depiction. Rain for Methuen, heavy snow for NYC

• Haha 1

all that really matters on the 12z ECMWF is that we saw a bunch of changes that increase the likelihood of a significant event:

• more favorable PNA ridging
  • block is now cut off into the Davis Strait and is stronger
  • more favorably placed 50/50 ULL

this all leads to a much better outcome in terms of seeing a highly impactful storm. I think the blocking is forcing this, for the most part

ezgif-1-1bfd77bc07.thumb.gif.ba287e982f8144c714d0f2f53fcda3bc.gif

• Like 3