Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Wake me Up....when September Ends....

40/70 Benchmark

14 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

And that storm capped off an overall great winter here, 3 out of 4 years back then were damn good.

92-93 was the first time where I was like “ok this is what it was like when my parents were younger.”  I didn’t do as well as Logan did because latitude helped, but we got hit good in 93-94. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

That makes sense, or at least some low level enhancement on cyclonic NW winds off Ontario.

Bonkers to have 30”+ lollipops from the mountains of NC all the way up through the northern Champlain Valley (likely into Canada too).

I wish we could see something like this with today’s model data.  The media hype would be off the charts if a 48-hour ECMWF prog was showing this lol.  “Nah it’s wrong, ain’t happening” - this forum.

E596E142-6155-42A9-8D79-DB40B4CD579F.thumb.jpeg.29da3bd33f9e87815765308d57ddbf53.jpeg

I remember my uncle in Orlando called me that morning to tell me about the damage they had from the squall line and how this was going to be bad haha. He was a weenie too.

This sounds dumb to admit, but I was hoping for a little more snow. A little disappointed in that regards, but it was insane for 3 hrs. 

The real big bag of WTF was in Alabama into Georgia. Getting those conditions in mid March is unprecedented. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

That makes sense, or at least some low level enhancement on cyclonic NW winds off Ontario.

Bonkers to have 30”+ lollipops from the mountains of NC all the way up through the northern Champlain Valley (likely into Canada too).

I wish we could see something like this with today’s model data.  The media hype would be off the charts if a 48-hour ECMWF prog was showing this lol.  “Nah it’s wrong, ain’t happening” - this forum.

E596E142-6155-42A9-8D79-DB40B4CD579F.thumb.jpeg.29da3bd33f9e87815765308d57ddbf53.jpeg

The media hype was pretty big then too. It’s really the first storm I remember making big headlines up here before it hit. 

34 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

The melts from folks further east would be epic. 

“Congrats Syracuse”

”We don’t get real coastals anymore”

”It might as well cut up the Hudson”

”Next”

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

The melts from folks further east would be epic. 

“Congrats Syracuse”

”We don’t get real coastals anymore”

”It might as well cut up the Hudson”

”Next”

I totally expect to get porked for one more season, but I'll leave the board if '23-'24 sucks,  too. 

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

It was on such a large scale it was practically larger than synoptic. Even the shit models back then were seeing the storm consistently at 5 days out. I wonder if the hires convective models today actually would've gone too bonkers with some of the physics and caused many "off" runs. Like you just know there would be at least one NAM run that would've ripped it over DTW.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mreaves said:

The media hype was pretty big then too. It’s really the first storm I remember making big headlines up here before it hit. 

Thats The One.  I got over 30 inches.  I learned 2 things:  it can snow a lot and you can predict it (somewhat). Read the the paper to track it.  

22 minutes ago, cleetussnow said:

Thats The One.  I got over 30 inches.  I learned 2 things:  it can snow a lot and you can predict it (somewhat). Read the the paper to track it.  

The Pioneer Valley was a big screw zone in that one.   That was my first time around out here and I remember seeing headlines in the Boston Herald and USA Today 3 days out.  We got relatively porked.  I was living on the Belchertown - Amherst line at low elevation, in the shadow of the Holyoke Range.   Infuriating.   Downtown Amherst had about 10".

14 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

We got dryslotted pretty bad in the superstorm in ORH but still got 20”….lol. Most ridiculous front ender of all time. 

I remember the forecast perhaps more than the storm:  "1-3 feet with life-threatening conditions."   At our Gardiner home it was 10.3" of heavily rimed 6:1 stuff with temps near 20.  Not many places in New England with less snow from that one.  Also recall that Monday morning seeing BGR with calm winds while Mt. Desert Rock, about 60 miles SE, had 56 kt winds gusting into the 60s.  Farmington recorded 18" from the storm, and had 97" total for Feb (51) and Mar (46), and snow cover went from a trace on Jan 31 to 56" on 3/15.

Just now, CoastalWx said:

Makes these obs great again.

METAR KBOS 132300Z 06047G62KT 0SM +TSSN -BLSN OVC/// M01/M01 A2916 RMK R04RVR06-V06 TB50 SW MOVG N OCNL LTGIC DRFTG SNW PK WND 0670/33 PRESFR SNOINCR 3/10/11

We need Forky to remind you that the snow stopped and the vis improved.

• Haha 1