Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Wake me Up....when September Ends....

40/70 Benchmark

1 hour ago, wx2fish said:

I've started to really enjoy warm Septembers. After labor day the boat and 93 traffic dies down. We get to take back NH after the summer.

Best time to go to the Cape is during warm September weekends for the same reasons....the crowds are completely gone and the water is warmer than it is in late June and even sometimes early July.

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Best time to go to the Cape is during warm September weekends for the same reasons....the crowds are completely gone and the water is warmer than it is in late June and even sometimes early July.

Just like ski season Will. Some know some don't. People rush seasonal change and are creatures of habit, boom Labor day, summers over. Smart ones say boom Labor day, prices drop, beaches empty and surf water temps the best.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

30 year anni coming up of that trace in CNE/SNE on 9/30/92. :lol:

I still remember that vividly because I was outside playing with friends. I think it was a bit before dinner time we got that squall that turned to graupel and then actual flakes for a time on 9/30.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

We got dryslotted pretty bad in the superstorm in ORH but still got 20”….lol. Most ridiculous front ender of all time. 

yeah..had about 10"-11" even on the south coast (maybe it was like 8", can't quite recall). That's the first whiteout I can remember from my youth..followed by heavy pelting sleet for an hour or two before the flip. I was at my friend's house for a sleepover and remember asking him to turn on wbz to watch Barry Burbank..not your typical ask at a 10 yo sleepover :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

35 minutes ago, SouthCoastMA said:

yeah..had about 10"-11" even on the south coast (maybe it was like 8", can't quite recall). That's the first whiteout I can remember from my youth..followed by heavy pelting sleet for an hour or two before the flip. I was at my friend's house for a sleepover and remember asking him to turn on wbz to watch Barry Burbank..not your typical ask at a 10 yo sleepover :lol:

I had 10-11” in Brockton and it fell like in 3-4 hrs. Followed by pelting sleet. LTG too. Logan has some of the most impressive winter obs  I’ve ever seen in that. 

1 hour ago, SouthCoastMA said:

Id love it but maybe shifted 100 miles east. like a hook and ladder version of it

Wouldn’t ever happen with a system of that nature. It was triple stream phase of extraordinary special dimensions thus integrating a substantial fraction of the to hemispheric power into its ‘machinery’ Think of it like an atmospheric “rogue wave” phenomenon … 

There’s really no way to bottle up that much raw power into the torsional spatial manifold of cutoff/‘hook and latter’ scenario …

Ironically … we’re far in way more likely to bust through stack records off a two stream standard model staller and shoot for the long game/duration. Get 3”/hr rates stalled for 12 hrs then another 12 hrs with meso bursts inside a rotting comma head would shatter records.  In CC we’re handing out snow rates like that as though it’s routine … just got to get the storm granted. 

It’s probably impressive it’s hasn’t happened yet and we’re playing with the odds  

2 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

We got dryslotted pretty bad in the superstorm in ORH but still got 20”….lol. Most ridiculous front ender of all time. 

I have some photos from my childhood home somewhere, that I truly believe is the largest/best snowstorm in my lifetime at that location.  Drifts were 5+ feet around the house and the Hudson Valley doesn’t really do windy/drifty snowstorms.  It looks like it had to be 30” on the level and it was dense wind-packed.  There have been deform band 20-25” storms but the snow was just different in March 1993.  It was packed like concrete.

I know ALB gusted 50-60mph in that which is nothing for you coastal dwellers but in the Hudson River Valley that’s unheard of in a synoptic snow IMO.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I have some photos from my childhood home somewhere, that I truly believe is the largest/best snowstorm in my lifetime at that location.  Drifts were 5+ feet around the house and the Hudson Valley doesn’t really do windy/drifty snowstorms.  It looks like it had to be 30” on the level and it was dense wind-packed.

I know ALB gusted 50-60mph in that which is nothing for you coastal dwellers but in the Hudson River Valley that’s unheard of in a synoptic snow IMO.

:o 

But the best was even further west it seems.

SYR with 42” from March 1993?!  35.6” of it in 24 hours.  Holy crap.

SYR records:

1. 35.6 inches of snow in twenty four hours (10am Saturday - 10am Sunday.) The previous record was 27.2 inches set in January 1925.

2. 22.1 inches of snow on Saturday, March 13, breaking the old snowfall record for that date which was 4.1 inches set in 1961.

3. 19.9 inches of snow on Sunday, March 14, breaking the old snowfall record for that date which was 8.6 inches set in 1956.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Ha, I just had to look it up, KALB gusted 53mph during the height of it it looks like.

Guilderland, NY, next door to childhood home was 29.6”.

That combo of 50+ wind and ~30” of snow is likely hard to beat in the Hudson Valley/Capital District area.

Oh yeah, I’m up there pretty frequently. That’s big time. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Oh yeah, I’m up there pretty frequently. That’s big time. 

The record books say only 1888 I think was better, but I haven’t read much on the wind during that event.  Either way as a kid that 1993 storm was one of my first true snowstorm memories as like a wow, this is on another level compared to snow we get around here.  I’m not sure if it blocked out everything before that but I can’t remember any specific snowstorm prior to that in my childhood.

Anyway, nice trip down memory lane.  I love when Will starts posting more frequently, we start talking snow.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

The record books say only 1888 I think was better, but I haven’t read much on the wind during that event.  Either way as a kid that 1993 storm was one of my first true snowstorm memories as like a wow, this is on another level compared to snow we get around here.  I’m not sure if it blocked out everything before that but I can’t remember any specific snowstorm prior to that in my childhood.

Anyway, nice trip down memory lane.  I love when Will starts posting more frequently, we start talking snow.

And that storm capped off an overall great winter here, 3 out of 4 years back then were damn good.

10 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I think some of the SYR snow was lake effect, but an incredible event there. 

That makes sense, or at least some low level enhancement on cyclonic NW winds off Ontario.

Bonkers to have 30”+ lollipops from the mountains of NC all the way up through the northern Champlain Valley (likely into Canada too).

I wish we could see something like this with today’s model data.  The media hype would be off the charts if a 48-hour ECMWF prog was showing this lol.  “Nah it’s wrong, ain’t happening” - this forum.

E596E142-6155-42A9-8D79-DB40B4CD579F.thumb.jpeg.29da3bd33f9e87815765308d57ddbf53.jpeg