Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August Discobs 2022

George BM

28 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Grew up in PA and never had school start until the day after Labor Day. Adults taking all the fun out of kids. Really sucks.

I think we'll see more and more adoption of a year-round school year with more breaks scattered in. 

• Sad 1

One huge issue with school calendars is the insane number of closures. Agree or disagree, that did not happen years ago. In 2010, on Ground Hog day, it snowed 6” that night. Winchester City schools were on a regular schedule the next day. Fast forward 7 years and we were missing school because of a forecast of snow or even as little as a dusting. With the virtual capability now, there is no excuse for a traditional snow day. Set your calendar and follow it and you could start after Labor Day and finish by the first of June. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, wxdude64 said:

VA used to have the "Kings Dominion" thing were schools couldn't start until after Labor Day, counties were allowed to 'exempt out' if they had enough snow days over a certain average of years I believe.

That is exactly right. Imagine making laws governing public education with the priority of feeding theme parks with customers.

7 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

One huge issue with school calendars is the insane number of closures. Agree or disagree, that did not happen years ago. In 2010, on Ground Hog day, it snowed 6” that night. Winchester City schools were on a regular schedule the next day. Fast forward 7 years and we were missing school because of a forecast of snow or even as little as a dusting. With the virtual capability now, there is no excuse for a traditional snow day. Set your calendar and follow it and you could start after Labor Day and finish by the first of June. 

Counter point: snow days are awesome

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Grew up in PA and never had school start until the day after Labor Day. Adults taking all the fun out of kids. Really sucks.

It does suck how much summer has been reduced, I’ve seen it throughout my school experience. 

1 hour ago, Kmlwx said:

I think we'll see more and more adoption of a year-round school year with more breaks scattered in. 

Ultimately I think you are correct a lot of places are heading that way, if it is pulled off well it might be ok. 

33 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

The snow day are way more useful and nice in several aspects than 7 extra days of summer vacation also virtual learning sucks instead of having a day off to play in the snow or hyper focus on short term changes in the hrrr as it’s falling. I will say the 14 days off fcps gives us is excessive, and now after 5 snow days it’s virtual. So why are the 14 days still built in. It’s stupid

2 hours ago, Eskimo Joe said:

The school districts I deal with here in PA have not started school yet.  Most are next week or after.   The largest district in the area (Cumberland Valley) is not until Aug 31. 

34 minutes ago, GramaxRefugee said:

Hvy rain t- storm here. Bit of hail. Tiniest hail I've ever seen. Call it about 1/4 pea size. 0.75" very quick. Lighter now but still raining. 

these hail reports are interesting...and I'm annoyed, I was distracted by work stuff during the storm and did not manage to visually check out what I assumed were large, loud drops :devilsmiley:

I have been so lucky in OC MD this week!  From Monday until today there has been a large swath of rain and embedded storms on radar just sitting less than 100 miles east but we have been sunny and in the 70s.  I just looked at the 72 hour rainfall map and wow there are areas of 4-7 inches out there.  Talking about dodging a bullet

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic