Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August Discussion/Obs

weatherwiz

1 hour ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Not in real time, I had to manually turn the little screws/bolts a turn or so. Trial and error like you said, but get a stratus so you can compare rain events.

I would check with dendrite first before you do anything..lol.

Basically below:

• Each counterclockwise movement of the stops by one flat of the hexagon raises the stop and hence increases the rainfall recorded by the gauge by approximately 1% (per flat). So one complete revolution of the stop would cause roughly a 6% increase in recorded rainfall. (Raising the stop – ie a movement in the +ve counterclockwise direction – decreases the weight of rain needed to cause a tip of the buckets and hence a given rainfall amount generates more bucket tips and thus a higher rainfall reading);
  • Each of the two stops must be adjusted by an equal amount (and obviously in the same direction);

@CoastalWx

Yeah this. You’re underreporting so the screws need to come up (lefty loosey) for the tipper to tip more often. Make sure the gauge is level first and you raise the screws on each side an equal amount. I’d definitely do it in smaller increments at first and try to only compare in larger events. Make sure there’s nothing interfering with the tipper being able to tip (spider webs or gunk) and make sure the cone hole isn’t plugged up at all either. 

You guys ever notice when watching these IR loops on these convection days, the cloud tops seem like they are always lime green with some lemon yellows over New England  ?

Seldom do our towers reach the exulted heights of blood red with gnarly black cores like all the other talented, cool good looking  regions. Even MT is cooler than us short bussers. 

Meanwhile we’re posting how we’re getting hammered this and destroyed that hyperbole. I feel like these are the most popular 8th graders.  But hey .. maybe there is less correlation between Sat presentation and ground truth. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Just in and out of a rubber gasket. 

The irony will be at the end of the summer when some posters have more total rainfall than up here.

I’m at roughly 1.75” for August (not home to see todays but local PWS is .27”).

It’s rained on at least 10 days this month, for only 1.75”.  TauntonSoggy2013 probably had that in about an hour today.

All joking aside, you have to imagine vegetation responds much better to frequency than total water. I know we talk about lush green up here but the total water the last 45-60 days isn’t anything to write home about.  I guess 0.10-0.20” every other day or three is enough to keep things lush even if it’s only like 2-2.5” per month.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, tamarack said:

With 103 reports, high end for Maine cocorahs, top is Hollis Center with 4.19".  2nd place is Buxton at 3.95".  Both towns are inland York County but #3 at 3.64" is Kennebunk.  Next is Standish, southern Cumberland, with 2.39".  I've no idea where the 6-7" was measured.
Had RA 9P-3A for 0.54" here, would've loved 3 times as much but no complaints, as the 2 cocorahs observers in Farmington had only 0.22".

13 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Probably near Waterboro. 

Yeah Waterboro, Lyman, Alfred. At least a half dozen gauges that I saw.