Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
August Discussion/Obs

weatherwiz

Just now, wkd said:

I have never heard of or preached Stratus.  What is the difference between Stratus or other brands?  I don't have a Stratus.  My gauge looks like the one you just posted.  For sure it wasn't Stratus, whatever that company is.

That's the Stratus gauge.

https://www.rainmanweather.com/RG202-Long-Term-Professional-Rain-and-Snow-Gauge

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, wkd said:

I have never heard of or preached Stratus.  What is the difference between Stratus or other brands?  I don't have a Stratus.  My gauge looks like the one you just posted.  For sure it wasn't Stratus, whatever that company is.

That is a stratus gauge

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

I pull the Stratus for the cold seasons, Novie thru mid-April.  Cocorahs' snow procedures recommend taking out the inner tube and leaving the outer, which is said to tolerate some rain-then-freeze.  However, sequences like below while we were in SNJ with the grandkids might disprove that, and I'd rather not have to buy a new gauge.

December 2018
21    37   34   2.09"   
22   49   30   0.08"
23   30     8                (Afternoon max was probably about 20 and the low likely came at my usual 9 PM obs time.)
24   30     3

The 5-gal bucket I use to catch cold-season precip had a major bulge on the bottom due to the ice cake within when we returned home.  I was surprised the bottom hadn't broken, but the bucket is somewhat softer plastic (and slightly tapered) compared to the Stratus.

I just take the gauge in if I expect either dry weather or snow.

11 minutes ago, wkd said:

Contrary to what I thought, this is not a really serious subforum.  Recommending a 4" rain gauge , no matter what brand, brought ridicule. Unbelievable.

All parties have been warned and the next step is permanent banning. Whether it's ridiculing you or ridiculing 4" gauges.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2