Jump to content
  • Member Statistics

    17,192
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    2015Wrx
    Newest Member
    2015Wrx
    Joined

Severe Weather Threat Week...so many threats!!!


weatherwiz
 Share

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, bobbutts said:

I don't exactly want bad things to happen but I feel drawn to watching them when they do.  Part of me wants that big hurricane to hit a population center instead of going fishing.  I think it's fair if people want to criticize that.  I'm less than perfect in many other ways too.

The fact is we are all weather enthusiasts and part of that is the lure of damage. We didn't become excited by weather because of partly sunny skies with a temp of 80. 

Nobody wants to see or hear about devastation and especially fatalities. Yet we all are captivated by the power of mother nature. It's ok to want to see the raw power of nature, but also bothered by the ensuing fatalities that can happen. 

I feel like people, especially professionals in the community are afraid to admit to what I said above. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

The fact is we are all weather enthusiasts and part of that is the lure of damage. We didn't become excited by weather because of partly sunny skies with a temp of 80. 

Nobody wants to see or hear about devastation and especially fatalities. Yet we all are captivated by the power of mother nature. It's ok to want to see the raw power of nature, but also bothered by the ensuing fatalities that can happen. 

I feel like people, especially professionals in the community are afraid to admit to what I said above. 

Yes that is true. But like I said…for me, it has to do with what can I and/or the kids do in the weather. Snow, lots of things. Coc, lots. Heat, some. Severe….absolutely nothing.

It’s that simple.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

The fact is we are all weather enthusiasts and part of that is the lure of damage. We didn't become excited by weather because of partly sunny skies with a temp of 80. 

Nobody wants to see or hear about devastation and especially fatalities. Yet we all are captivated by the power of mother nature. It's ok to want to see the raw power of nature, but also bothered by the ensuing fatalities that can happen. 

I feel like people, especially professionals in the community are afraid to admit to what I said above. 

Very well said.

Part of being lured into extreme weather phenomena also has to deal with communicating such. That's why anyone involved in weather forecasting has the responsibility of warning others. We want to see extreme weather events, but we don't want to see damage to property and we don't want to see deaths. Unfortunately, those are going to happen, but there is a responsibility to warn people and provide them with as much guidance as possible so they can take measures to 1) protect their lives and their families lives and 2) protect their property. 

  • Like 2
  • Weenie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, bobbutts said:

I don't exactly want bad things to happen but I feel drawn to watching them when they do.  Part of me wants that big hurricane to hit a population center instead of going fishing.  I think it's fair if people want to criticize that.  I'm less than perfect in many other ways too.

Same here.  The best thing to do use that energy to help impacted communities and mitigate future potential.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Maybe, that was from NH electirc Coop. 
Anything surveyed by Winni?

WCM headed there now. Did Sebago (microburst within the larger HP), and Effingham (microburst within the larger HP) first. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Wind is very good at picking out the weak trees, like that one with lots of rot at the base.

Lots of rot at the base. I guess the tree cutting company is keeping most of the tree. I was hoping to get wood chips.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So about 200 trees down on Moultonborough Neck, but extending across the bay into Melvin Village @CoastalWx. Similar to the other microbursts embedded in the HP track, we estimate 80 mph gusts. Our WCM got shut out by a private estate to check out the damage on one of the points. :lol:

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Maybe, that was from NH electirc Coop. 
Anything surveyed by Winni?

I today I had to do errands.  Went from my house to Concord then back up to Meredith and then to Center Harbor.  Just a few trees down here and there.  In my hood the roads are covered with leaf shreds from the hail and most of the damage was around my immediate neighborhood.

The severe thunderstorm provided some unique graphs on my weather station.  Temperature from 82F to 63F almost immediately.  Rain rate of 6.50" but hailstones just bounced out of Stratus cup so maybe more qpf fell.  Wind gust to 56mph

rain rate.jpg

temperature.jpg

wind.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

One more post.  This is the webcam footage of the storm in real time.  The high wind was right at the end, then the power was lost.  Hail came after we lost power.

https://video.nest.com/clip/f83adb4b41f645c4a408d1c2adec1cb7.mp4

Last image the cam got

Screenshot 2022-07-22 185950.jpg

That was nuts Gene.   Have you shown it to Noyes yet?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, wxeyeNH said:

One more post.  This is the webcam footage of the storm in real time.  The high wind was right at the end, then the power was lost.  Hail came after we lost power.

https://video.nest.com/clip/f83adb4b41f645c4a408d1c2adec1cb7.mp4

Last image the cam got

Screenshot 2022-07-22 185950.jpg

To me either a microburst dropped just out of frame and then hit your place, or alternatively you just got steamrolled by a HP supercell.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

So about 200 trees down on Moultonborough Neck, but extending across the bay into Melvin Village @CoastalWx. Similar to the other microbursts embedded in the HP track, we estimate 80 mph gusts. Our WCM got shut out by a private estate to check out the damage on one of the points. :lol:

Nogueria family compound?  Can’t believe he would block the surveyor. :P

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, wxeyeNH said:

One more post.  This is the webcam footage of the storm in real time.  The high wind was right at the end, then the power was lost.  Hail came after we lost power.

https://video.nest.com/clip/f83adb4b41f645c4a408d1c2adec1cb7.mp4

Last image the cam got

Screenshot 2022-07-22 185950.jpg

That’s a great camera. I’ll have to get one of those lol 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

So about 200 trees down on Moultonborough Neck, but extending across the bay into Melvin Village @CoastalWx. Similar to the other microbursts embedded in the HP track, we estimate 80 mph gusts. Our WCM got shut out by a private estate to check out the damage on one of the points. :lol:

Yeah and I’m sure there was more that wasn’t seen but I get it. Lots down near Alpine Park Road where my folks are I guess. Just another day of severe in the lakes region and I’m not there. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Torch Tiger said:

Maybe, maybe not.  Please don't forget those who died in Dec. 1992 (17), or 1993 superstorm (270 died, not all were winter wx related of course)...and on, and on.  It's not hyperbole

I guess my point is that "fun" isn't a good word for more extreme weather; exciting and "awesome" though, yeah.  

I want to say too that winter-related fatal crashes might have fallen in recent years and here is why I theorize this:

Higher speed crashes still kill as efficiently as ever. Today’s marvelous safety designs in automobiles cannot offset laws of physics on the human body when you come to an immediate stop from 70mph, and increased distracted and reckless driving has also offset safety advances.

But in winter storms most people are traveling 20 to 45 miles per hour. And it is at these velocities that if you crash, modern cars’ designs save your life when compared to the extreme hazards of steel tanks from the mid 20th century, which had razor-thin sides and doors btw, which direct all of the energy of the crash into the human body with no airbags, no side airbags, or crumple zones to slow the deceleration.

In summary, crashes at 25 to 40mph used to kill people regularly in older cars. Since the 2000s, new vehicles have made crashes at these speeds much more survivable especially when side airbags and well engineered bodies entered the picture. 
 

Since modern vehicles are so good at saving lives in moderate speed crashes but still so ineffective in high speed ones, I have been known to promote some of the most unpopular ideas in the world involving reducing legal speeds by 15 per cent on two lane roads and 10 per cent on interstates just on account of how many lives would be saved if you just shaved off 20 per cent of the impact energy in higher speed crashes. No one will ever go for this. Because freedom.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

I today I had to do errands.  Went from my house to Concord then back up to Meredith and then to Center Harbor.  Just a few trees down here and there.  In my hood the roads are covered with leaf shreds from the hail and most of the damage was around my immediate neighborhood.

The severe thunderstorm provided some unique graphs on my weather station.  Temperature from 82F to 63F almost immediately.  Rain rate of 6.50" but hailstones just bounced out of Stratus cup so maybe more qpf fell.  Wind gust to 56mph

rain rate.jpg

temperature.jpg

wind.jpg

Love the inverse relationship 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

That was nuts Gene.   Have you shown it to Noyes yet?

When the storm was about 25 miles out Matt texted me that it was going to be a doozy.  He watches my feed all the time and said he was glued to it.  His vacation house is just beyond the trees in my field.  He was in Mass and wished he was up here.  After the storm we were texting again.  I later went down to check his house.  A big tree came down and just missed his house but tore up a retaining wall.  He appreciates me checking his house from time to time.  He and Danielle seem like really nice people.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

When the storm was about 25 miles out Matt texted me that it was going to be a doozy.  He watches my feed all the time and said he was glued to it.  His vacation house is just beyond the trees in my field.  He was in Mass and wished he was up here.  After the storm we were texting again.  I later went down to check his house.  A big tree came down and just missed his house but tore up a retaining wall.  He appreciates me checking his house from time to time.  He and Danielle seem like really nice people.

Verdict still out on Matt, but I know Danielle and she’s awesome. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Weenie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I posted a video of our severe thunderstorm from 2 days ago.  That video was not made at the height of the storm.  This one is.  The video  starts shortly after the rain came in.  Normally in the thunderstorms I have observed the strongest wind was with the gust front, just before the rain.  This was different.  Started out breezy with moderate rain and got progressively worse.  The hail got bigger and bigger and the biggest hail was at the tail end of the storm, not on the video. Things start to get crazy around the 1 minute mark.  

Initially the wind came in from the west but as the storm got going it veered to due south.  The bigger hail was at the end of the storm, not on the video.  From my observation the most and biggest hail fell about 1/2 mile south of me.  Interesting to note 1 mile north of me had very little wind.

Visibility dropped to perhaps 1/8 of a mile by 1:20 about the same as I see in a heavy snowsquall.  I also notice something that I have never seen talked about.  The hailstones were hitting the Stratus funnel and bouncing right out.  Obviously each nickel to near quarter size hailstone is equal to a lot of water.  So the 1" of rain in the status might have been more.  Also I wonder if strong wind gusts reduce the accuracy of a rain gauge?

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...