Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
July 2022 Disco/obs/etc

Torch Tiger

1 hour ago, WxWatcher007 said:

How many of you have anemometers on the roof? I have a VP2 and I need to properly site at the house. On the deck would be easiest, but I’d almost certainly get a rain shadow and bad wind reading. Out in the backyard could work, but might be unsightly and I’d have to keep the anemometer at 2m.

Separate them?

1 hour ago, WxWatcher007 said:

How many of you have anemometers on the roof? I have a VP2 and I need to properly site at the house. On the deck would be easiest, but I’d almost certainly get a rain shadow and bad wind reading. Out in the backyard could work, but might be unsightly and I’d have to keep the anemometer at 2m.

I put mine on the back gable end of my garage roof.  Still sheltered so wind readings are not ideal but better than if it were 2m above above the ground.

25 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Separate them?

I didn’t know you could do that? It’s currently linked via a wire to the base of the station. 

7 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

I put mine on the back gable end of my garage roof.  Still sheltered so wind readings are not ideal but better than if it were 2m above above the ground.

I may just try to do something like that. I like 2m because it shows what’s happening on the ground (and I can clean the cups during winter events) but obviously 10m is official. 

24 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I didn’t know you could do that? It’s currently linked via a wire to the base of the station. 

I may just try to do something like that. I like 2m because it shows what’s happening on the ground (and I can clean the cups during winter events) but obviously 10m is official. 

I have the Davis Vantage Pro 2 and I purchased the wireless transmitter so I could remotely set up my anemometer.

https://www.scientificsales.com/6332-Davis-Sensor-Transmitter-p/6332.htm

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Brutal. You should come join our team. Wed and Thur nights right there at CH.

High was 93.4⁰ today, lots of clouds now. Dews dropped for a good part of the day, but have increased over the past couple hours. 

If you are recruiting, I am more than happy to shag some flyballs....

2 hours ago, SouthCoastMA said:

Going back to 6/29, here are the closest three stations: MBY is probably closer to the .25 reading - but it's been awful. 

Areas just north and west into Plymouth County have done a bit better. I hear Stowe is stealing my rain this summer, so maybe we can steal some of your snow this winter

image.thumb.png.a1624ef08f549d702a37460cb65abc22.png

You guys steal our snow storms regularly it feels like, half of us believe SE MA averages 150”.  Don’t worry, I’ll take my 3” over 30 hours of arctic sand from a finger of H5-6 fronto… you guys enjoy the 24” in 14 hours.  Doesn’t sound like fun or anything :lol:.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

I have the Davis Vantage Pro 2 and I purchased the wireless transmitter so I could remotely set up my anemometer.

https://www.scientificsales.com/6332-Davis-Sensor-Transmitter-p/6332.htm

I have the same thing and had it on the house but got worried with close lighting strikes so I took it down. It was fastened to the top of a ten foot galvanized pole on the roof. Read some conflicting info on whether it should be wired to a grounding rod. I’m going to put it on my shed even though it won’t be ideal. 

4 hours ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Ya it was certainly not windy till the top. The parking at 2600’ had a breeze but inconsistent with SW exposure but the short climb to 3k offered a nice reward at the top . Was impressed at the lack of humidity NW of concord ,Nh 

yeah you always have to climb up from the parking area to get the full experience. in winter it’s a rough climb on the snowmobile but worth it every time 

In the heat bubble again today. High of 95 matches my area and eastward at least through Maynard. Others ranged from 90-93 a little west and south. Again, max rather early in the day. If it weren't for  the other local stations reporting essentially the same temps or a degree or two higher, I'd think I'm getting false readings. Before the heat wave I was a couple of degrees lower for max than many. Go figure. Dews were much lower but coming up a bit now.  61F here now, 66F in Lancaster.

kind of scary that we're getting these temps with such a blah upper level pattern. wait til we get a ridge like canada 2021 or what europe just had

Lack of soil moisture definitely plays a part, though. I don’t have any hard data, but I’m sure soil moisture is way down in the 20th percentile or so region wide. All the sun’s energy can go into heating the ground, and by extension the air, when there’s no water to evaporate.

1 hour ago, forkyfork said:

kind of scary that we're getting these temps with such a blah upper level pattern. wait til we get a ridge like canada 2021 or what europe just had

The funny thing is for most of June and first half of July, wasn’t @Typhoon Tipmusing that the surface temps seemed cool for the heights?  Like those heights had yielded big heat in certain circumstances?

Seems like a disconnect between surface temps and mid-level heights at times this summer?