Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 25th Wintry Mix OBS THREAD

The 4 Seasons

2 hours ago, The 4 Seasons said:

wow. 30" there is like 15" here, rough season for the NW hills. seems to be a thing over the last several years

yeah since 13-14, we've had 3 legit ratters here, I mean under 35", the first two winter here were awesome, had like 30" pack, and 8' piles, but yea, been a tough stretch

2 hours ago, codfishsnowman said:

Even back in the awful 80s NW CT had some ok events and more odds and ends, back when the averages peaked for you there was a much more common type of coastal where the rain/snow line was along I-84 and the Litchfield hills would get clobbered through the berks up to Albany

the 80s actually weren't that bad for this particular locale, had some decent seasons, I wasn't here of course but the obs from the station I made the list from averaged over 80" for the decade..90s were a bit more, the oughts were a bit less, then the teens were rising but lower than 90s and 80s, if that makes sense, now we're off to a crappy start to this decade... we'll see what happens next few weeks, I just want spring at this point, get to planting

The old days of the 80’s growing up . NW CT always jacked . There were never the E  Mass jacks other than the rare blizzard of 78 type storm . It was always the deep interior. So something has definitely shifted over these past 25 years. Even my area now.. I have done better than I ever used to do . I’d always get like 14-16 in the biggies . Over the last decade I have jacked or come close more than ever . The pattern has definitely shifted east 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

7.5” Here as well unless some of this light stuff accumulates.  Easy to clear 

Snow was pretty dense here so fairly high impact storm. I was in downtown Greenfield this evening and it’s definitely winter wonderland with town plows trying trying to clear parking spaces on main street.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

The old days of the 80’s growing up . NW CT always jacked . There were never the E  Mass jacks other than the rare blizzard of 78 type storm . It was always the deep interior. So something has definitely shifted over these past 25 years. Even my area now.. I have done better than I ever used to do . I’d always get like 14-16 in the biggies . Over the last decade I have jacked or come close more than ever . The pattern has definitely shifted east 

It’s very interesting… growing up I always remember north of 84 and west of 91 leading the way snowfall wise even in the 90s…. like you said the change is to move everything east for the last 20 years or so  

17 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

:lol: 

7 minutes ago, Johnno said:

It’s very interesting… growing up I always remember north of 84 and west of 91 leading the way snowfall wise even in the 90s…. like you said the change is to move everything east for the last 20 years or so  

It could just be cyclical or Scooters “regression” which I have never bought one bit. That’s the same as luck. Weather happens for scientific reasons.. reasons we will all never fully understand or grasp .. But it’s been an undeniable trend since the 80’s. Maybe it continues east out into ocean the next 25?

Just now, Damage In Tolland said:

It could just be cyclical or Scooters “regression” which I have never bought one bit. That’s the same as luck. Weather happens for scientific reasons.. reasons we will all never fully understand or grasp .. But it’s been an undeniable trend since the 80’s. Maybe it continues east out into ocean the next 25?

:lol:

Just now, Damage In Tolland said:

It could just be cyclical or Scooters “regression” which I have never bought one bit. That’s the same as luck. Weather happens for scientific reasons.. reason we will all never fully understand or grasp .. But it’s been an undeniable trend since the 80’s. Maybe it continues east out into ocean the next 25?

definitely cyclical because I was looking at other data from another station further away a bit, with longer data history and prior to when the one closest began recording and the almost sinewave like pattern is present, goes up comes down, and some anomalies in between, but overall, peaks and valleys, sun activity perhaps, interesting read about the winter of 55-56, where there were like three big noreasters within two weeks, that year was the biggest here with 177", I obviously didn't take that data but that began the period of over 100" winters until like 71-72 where it tapered off some, interesting stuff