Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February 25th Wintry Mix OBS THREAD

The 4 Seasons

27 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

The old days of the 80’s growing up . NW CT always jacked . There were never the E  Mass jacks other than the rare blizzard of 78 type storm . It was always the deep interior. So something has definitely shifted over these past 25 years. Even my area now.. I have done better than I ever used to do . I’d always get like 14-16 in the biggies . Over the last decade I have jacked or come close more than ever . The pattern has definitely shifted east 

I remember the first like decade on the forums you would get 14” in every big storm.  You literally didn’t believe more than 14” could fall at once there.

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I remember the first like decade on the forums you would get 14” in every big storm.  You literally didn’t believe more than 14” could fall at once there.

Yes. I did not think was possible . Every storm jacked NW CT and then they started jacking around here. And now it’s SE areas 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

It is. SWFE have weak secondary’s.

Longitude >> latitude. Check out the east/west gradient. Doesn’t make sense for a SWFE. You’re getting over 9” and Hartford less than half of that? 

The surface reflection weak—sure. But the UL disturbance strong. 

And the “it’s a SWFE forecast” is why there was a shockingly bad late adjustment (lower) in the snowfall forecast in the western half of the subforum. 

19 minutes ago, tavwtby said:

definitely cyclical because I was looking at other data from another station further away a bit, with longer data history and prior to when the one closest began recording and the almost sinewave like pattern is present, goes up comes down, and some anomalies in between, but overall, peaks and valleys, sun activity perhaps, interesting read about the winter of 55-56, where there were like three big noreasters within two weeks, that year was the biggest here with 177", I obviously didn't take that data but that began the period of over 100" winters until like 71-72 where it tapered off some, interesting stuff

Everything is a sine wave including our lives. Think about it 

2 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

Longitude >> latitude. Check out the east/west gradient. Doesn’t make sense for a SWFE. You’re getting over 9” and Hartford less than half of that? 

The surface reflection weak—sure. But the UL disturbance strong. 

And the “it’s a SWFE forecast” is why there was a shockingly bad late adjustment (lower) in the snowfall forecast in the western half of the subforum. 

It’s latitude. Go 10 miles north of HFD. Also being east helps. That is a typical SWFE. This was 2007-2009. We had exactly that. Latitude matters most, but being east can help too. The flow from 850-700 screams S to SW. 

2 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Everything is a sine wave including our lives. Think about it 

dude, finally someone who gets it, it's all wavelengths man, even traffic moves in waves, I've finally gotten my wife to understand this too, and reasons why we either get along with people or don't because of phase shift... anyway back to weather, wind is roaring here now, definitely looks and feels like winter out there, 25/17 with 15 sustained and a 25 gust last five minutes

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tavwtby said:

dude, finally someone who gets it, it's all wavelengths man, even traffic moves in waves, I've finally gotten my wife to understand this too, and reasons why we either get along with people or don't because of phase shift... anyway back to weather, wind is roaring here now, definitely looks and feels like winter out there, 25/17 with 15 sustained and a 25 gust last five minutes

Do your hands feel like two balloons?

• Haha 4